Best plant for automated mister

Big Gulp

Established Member
So, I plan on finally installing a Mistking in Lewis' big boy enclosure (he's still in smaller one at the moment).

In the past, I've had a Schefflera arboricola plant that did quite well. But that was with hand misting.

I've heard they don't do well with really wet soil, which will be the case with the Mistking going off multiple times per day.

Any advice on the best plants? Or best way to aerate or make better drainage? I've used gravel in the bottom of the pots in the past.

Pothos. Impossible to kill, and chameleons love to eat them, they can live through anything, also, if your plants dont drain, do a mix of 50% Soil And 50% perlite, your plants will drain alot faster.

Try cactus mix in your plants. It's designed to drain easily. I've recently re-potted a scheflerra with this and it's doing well.

I would recommend pothos, air plants, iris, cat-tail (more uncommon in vivs), elephant ear (grows pretty big, needs large viv), I thiiiink ficus can tolerate wetness, and jasmine (some members will warn against this, I think if you get one that has very mild toxins like pink jasmine the cham should be fine, I have used jasmine a lot).

Thanks all.

I'll likely have a pothos in there, but I'd like a taller plant too that can also be climbed.

Scheflerra can grow tall and mine have stood up to a lot of misting. That said they have good drainage and lighting.

I have pothos, elephant ears, schflerra, coleus, potato vine, rubber tree, and a mandevilla. The mandevilla is toxic so don't use it with a cham that will eat plants

I have pothos, elephant ears, schflerra, coleus, potato vine, rubber tree, and a mandevilla. The mandevilla is toxic so don't use it with a cham that will eat plants
How do the elephant ears do? My shefflera keeps shedding leaves and it's a hassle to keep cleaning

The key to most plants is really good light, really good drainage, and not letting your pots sit in a saucer full of misting water. You can create soil that drains almost immediately by adding pumice, perlite, bark or pebbles to the lower portions of the pot and enlarging the pot's drain holes. Keep the pot saucer empty.

Back
Top Bottom