Best materials for veiled egg box???

PrincessSpaz

Established Member
What is the best materials/container size for an egg box for my veiled? Her temperament is one of a girl who does not like change so I thought it would be best to try to get her used to a box in her space now, before she starts laying. She's roughly 7 months old now (I've had her a little over 5 months)
I had tried out a sandbox and caught her eating the sand (no she wasn't after a cricket, she was after the sand)
Is it normal for them to try to eat the sand?
I've attached a couple recent photos of Spaz (she was mad I was in her room lol)

Attachments

• IMG_1430.jpg
    IMG_1430.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 20211006_131140.jpg
    20211006_131140.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 88
Nice looking chameleon!

You need an opaque container at least 12 inches long you 8" wide x 8" deep...filled with a washed playsand that is moist enough to hold a tunnel.

Because veiled females eat the sand, I use the sand produced by Kings that comes in a white bag with red, yellow, clue sandbox toys on the front of it. Thus sand always seems to pass through the females, not lead to infections if it gets in the eyes, etc.

I've never figured out a way to stop them from eating the sand but I'm not sure I want to stop them.

Hi. :) Just make sure to use a washed play sand and not calcisand. If she eats play sand it will pass thru her with no issue. However, calcisand binds to itself and can create a blockage.
Looking at your pic (and past posts), I believe I see 2 lights in a dual dome. Have you upgraded her to a T5 uvb yet? Having everything as perfect as possible is essential for our sweet little ladies to prevent laying problems.
Also, our ladies love eating at their plants and I strongly suggest replacing the artificial with safe live ones. Pothos is a staple and super easy in care. Most others would need a plant light, but something like this in place of a screw in uvb in the dual dome would work well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BRKG7X1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
I’ve attached my artificial plants to the outside of the door of my enclosure to provide extra privacy.
5A939744-7429-4235-9F22-D31308386E6D.jpeg

Hi. :) Just make sure to use a washed play sand and not calcisand. If she eats play sand it will pass thru her with no issue. However, calcisand binds to itself and can create a blockage.
Looking at your pic (and past posts), I believe I see 2 lights in a dual dome. Have you upgraded her to a T5 uvb yet? Having everything as perfect as possible is essential for our sweet little ladies to prevent laying problems.
Also, our ladies love eating at their plants and I strongly suggest replacing the artificial with safe live ones. Pothos is a staple and super easy in care. Most others would need a plant light, but something like this in place of a screw in uvb in the dual dome would work well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BRKG7X1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
I’ve attached my artificial plants to the outside of the door of my enclosure to provide extra privacy.
View attachment 316332
Spaz actually has 2 T8/10.0 linear lights in addition to her dual dome and plant grow lights due to my customizing her house recently (she has 6 feet of climbing space, 2.5 feet on each side) and several live pothos, a "money tree", 2 separate wandering jews, a prayer plant and am currently in search of a weeping fig ... we live in Virginia so I'm having a hard time finding the weeping fig. Is there another tree that would be a good substitute for the weeping fig?
For some reason she likes the dual dome light right above her food bowl and the other 2 lights more toward the side and front (opposite the food bowl) where she spends most of her day
I tried taking away the dual dome light and she spent several days being angry, should she not have it at all? I am genuinely asking, I want her to be as healthy as possible 😊

Attachments

• 20220126_174815.jpg
    20220126_174815.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 79
Sorry, I should have been more clear....were the lighting questions answered in another thread?

31 I not bad but a few less eggs would be better. It good that she laid them...even if she preferred the pothos plant! You might want to cut how much you feed her back just. Bit more and make sure her basking temperature is 80Fto lower the number of eggs.
BTW...I did remember talking to you but didn't remember/know how many eggs she laid in the end.

I added to my last post.
She's been getting 2 crickets 3x a week and 1 hornworm a week per the vet but I think the pet store supplier has been feeding the crickets something to make them grow quickly or something like that and it's keeping her from losing the fat stored in her cask. I got her some silkworms and dubia roaches (they came in today) to see if that helps her lose a little
She's also been eating her pothos leaves lately, tried one bite of my knuckle yesterday but that wasn't quite what she wanted 😂
She's been more active recently, climbing out of her house and into her hibiscus tree and wandering around the room being nosy ... maybe the change in her diet plus the exercise will help

Back
Top Bottom