Best light position

Sharon12

Established Member
I have have just upgraded to the dragon strand 24 x 24 x48 for my female veiled chameleon Etosha. I have the basking bulb in the back right corner-off in the pictures- 60 watt incandescent on a dimmer. Only one bulb in that double fixture. Then across the middle I have the single bulb tube fixture with the t5 bulb. I also have a jungle dawn spotlight in the front. I have numerous high branches. She seems to love the jungle dawn bulb but want to be sure she is getting enough uvb as she spends a lot of time there now.its. Diagonally about 16 inches from the uvb bulb. Her basking branches are 7-8 inches below the heat and uvb bulb. She’s going where she wants all day. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• 9A8AA45A-0590-487D-9A9F-372B76D43641.jpeg
    9A8AA45A-0590-487D-9A9F-372B76D43641.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 89
  • C94220F4-96A8-406A-90B6-6E441DE3EEC4.jpeg
    C94220F4-96A8-406A-90B6-6E441DE3EEC4.jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 27F5838B-8D3F-4579-891A-AAA328A545EC.jpeg
    27F5838B-8D3F-4579-891A-AAA328A545EC.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 101
  • A33E5F3F-5C7C-40A7-801D-142F2A81D389.jpeg
    A33E5F3F-5C7C-40A7-801D-142F2A81D389.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 102
That is so helpful. I have angled my lights as you suggested and that should push her towards the central uvb. Her name is a park that we visited in Namibia Africa and saw beautiful chameleons. Thank you.

Angling my lights has worked well and Etosha is always right under the UVB bulb where I want her! Now that I have solved numerous issues I am taking her to the vet for baseline health and a fecal. However, I am still confused about using a fogger. Misting and auto drip are working well and she drinks as needed. However I have not set up a fogger yet at night. I have an all screen cage and I cover it on 3 sides at night to keep it dark. I have a small humidifier I could hook up but really not sure how to do it or if really necessary. Advice appreciated.

Angling my lights has worked well and Etosha is always right under the UVB bulb where I want her! Now that I have solved numerous issues I am taking her to the vet for baseline health and a fecal. However, I am still confused about using a fogger. Misting and auto drip are working well and she drinks as needed. However I have not set up a fogger yet at night. I have an all screen cage and I cover it on 3 sides at night to keep it dark. I have a small humidifier I could hook up but really not sure how to do it or if really necessary. Advice appreciated.

Awwww wonderful to hear! I am so happy it worked well for her and took some stress off of you.

So fogging I can give you info on as well. Basic concept behind it is that you are fogging somewhere around 12pm-5am. When the house is its coolest and the cage has had time to reach lower temp levels. We want to fog when it is 70 degrees or lower in a cage. I happen to open my window to cool off just the room my boy is in. I get the room down to about 64-65 degrees. During this fogging period you are aiming for 100 percent humidity.

This is a fantastic podcast on naturalistic hydration and Bill has many more that you may really enjoy.
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-89-naturalistic-hydration-for-chameleons/

Here is a link to our site moderators blog as well.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/basic-info-on-misting-and-fogging.2325/

And I don't know if you got info yet on egg laying for Etosha but this is a great blog on that as well.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

Got the same fogger set up as the blog. I have a screen only cage. I cover it at night on 2 sides with a cloth cover I made to keep it darker as near a window. I am assuming there will be enough airflow if I fog from the top down with one whole side uncovered and half of the back. I don't want any respiratory issues. I will also check room temp but our house does cool down pretty well. Would I decrease my misting? I am doing as the
podcast suggests. 7:30 am for a minute before lights on including basking light at 8am. Then mist 11:30am 3:30pm and 7:30pm. Lights out at 8pm. I was going to set fogger to 12am to 5am. Do I need an 11:30 pm mist also? Thank you! I think this is my last piece of equipment.

Back
Top Bottom