Best Left in Cage?

Bobs Mama

While I was in petsmart today picking up some supplies I was talking to an associate to see their knowledge of what they sell. I was asking about their veiled chameleons ( I don't agree with alot of their opinions) But one of the things that really stuck out with me was how they were saying that a veiled chameleon should be left in their terrarium and only watched.... Apparently I shocked the associate who said this because I had a veiled chameleon for 8 years and never had an issue with aggression or stress with him, Bob was very rarely in his terrarium he has always on someone outside. Even on their info sheets it says to avoid handling? Isn't handling them the only way to desensitize them to people?

Please give me your opinions I just found this odd

My animals very seldom get held. The only occasions are for cage cleaning when the plants need to be removed or when Amanda from Canvas Chameleons is here. She can't resist the werneri girls!

Carl

My animals very seldom get held. The only occasions are for cage cleaning when the plants need to be removed or when Amanda from Canvas Chameleons is here. She can't resist the werneri girls!

Carl

I don't blame her- female werners are ADORABLE!! :D

I am very hands on with my chameleons. They all free range in my house and go outside for some natural UV daily.

I always handled my veiled chameleon and when I worked at the pet store I got him from he asked me to bring him in with me. I found that when I didn't handle him he got grumpy

Carl

Hahaha so true! We try to handle all of our chameleons. Some are more into it than others but we see all of our chameleons as pets and part of the family so we enjoy having them out with us.

I think it depends on the individual chameleon. From what I've seen since I've learned about them some enjoy it, some tolerate it and some hate it. It just depends.

Me personally I like to be able to handle my animals, so I'd put in effort to make them comfortable as there will be times when they need to be held and it's better if they enjoy/tolerate it. Our panther, Kabuki, doesn't seem to mind it, and will hang out by the door sometimes when he wants to come out. If I had a chameleon that was extremely defensive though, I'd probably leave it alone.

While I was in petsmart today picking up some supplies I was talking to an associate to see their knowledge of what they sell. I was asking about their veiled chameleons ( I don't agree with alot of their opinions) But one of the things that really stuck out with me was how they were saying that a veiled chameleon should be left in their terrarium and only watched.... Apparently I shocked the associate who said this because I had a veiled chameleon for 8 years and never had an issue with aggression or stress with him, Bob was very rarely in his terrarium he has always on someone outside. Even on their info sheets it says to avoid handling? Isn't handling them the only way to desensitize them to people?

Please give me your opinions I just found this odd

Given the typical PS customer, I would rather have an employee say that chams are not to be handled than say nothing and have some kid or clueless parents expect it to act like a dog. I'll bet this was a rather exaggerated attempt to say its more of a display pet, not a toy. Intention was OK, delivery was not.

Not all chams "desensitize" to people.

Carl

HAHAHA this cracked me up!! Hey what can I say she was calling my name and wanted me to love her up!! She didn't even mind that I needed to redo my nails :D

cutie.jpg

Given the typical PS customer, I would rather have an employee say that chams are not to be handled than say nothing and have some kid or clueless parents expect it to act like a dog. I'll bet this was a rather exaggerated attempt to say its more of a display pet, not a toy. Intention was OK, delivery was not.

Not all chams "desensitize" to people.

I completely agree with you on this! Had this happened when the "youtube" lady with the bitting cham bought hers…that poor cham probably would have been sparred a lifetime of stress/misery. You know the person who thought the cham was "playing"! Sad, sad and total Craziness!!!!

I completely agree with you on this! Had this happened when the "youtube" lady with the bitting cham bought hers…that poor cham probably would have been sparred a lifetime of stress/misery. You know the person who thought the cham was "playing"! Sad, sad and total Craziness!!!!

Who was this?????

Back
Top Bottom