Best Heavy Duty Plant For Big Veiled Chameleon

Daniel266jz

Avid Member
Hello all, my veiled chameleon turns 11 months old next month almost a year old and his plant cannot take his weight and he has knocked off almost all the leaves and I do not want to have fake plants in his enclosure because he likes to chew on them. Any one have any suggestions? A little backstory since its almost his year old mark. I was originally going to get a bearded dragon and i had a friend who at the time worked at Petsmart. So we went to go see what they had as we knew that other than a breeder our best chance was to buy a baby from Petsmart and save it from their neglect because they aren't from too bad of a breeder we investigated they came from California. Anyways, we got there and we saw they just that day had gotten in some baby chameleons. My friend said a family had returned them because they were too much work once they did they're research. So my girlfriend decides one is really cute while I wasn't exactly on the same page as her we decided to give him a home. We did know Petsmart was not the best place for a pet but we decided its all or nothing. We bought him at about 3 months old and bought the R eptibreeze chameleon kit and some crickets and went home. From then i started doing my research and fell in love with chameleons while the gf kinda drifted off. He is very healthy and has been doing very well since then he is a big meany but we still love him. This forum has been a great help in keeping him this long and giving him the best. Our love for chameleon(my gf got back to loving them) took us to purchase a Nosy Be at a reptile expo and our love for them and the hobby is forever continuing to grow. I really want a Four Horned Gracilior or a Nosy Bohara or a Yellow Body Blue Bar Ambilobe but our budget wont allow it at this moment! I will Include pics!

Attachments

• Small.jpg
    Small.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Big.jpg
    Big.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 177
I don't know exactly what to recommend but I will probably be in the same boat in about 5-6 months :D

I just wanted to say that I think it is great that you have given your guy such a great home! A lot of people who take home chams from the big name pet stores only do as they are instructed by them, and do not do research before there is a health problem, many times it is too late by the time they learn they had been doing it all wrong. So kudos to you!! (y)

I don't know exactly what to recommend but I will probably be in the same boat in about 5-6 months :D

I just wanted to say that I think it is great that you have given your guy such a great home! A lot of people who take home chams from the big name pet stores only do as they are instructed by them, and do not do research before there is a health problem, many times it is too late by the time they learn they had been doing it all wrong. So kudos to you!! (y)
Lol, well hopefully someone will fill us in since we will be having the same problem.

Since you all have big bruiser chameleons you are going to have to rely on branches and vines for them to use for climbing. Dracaena have strong upright stems but the leaves aren't great for heavy climbing. Pothos will weave around any branches you have for cover. You might find a larger schefflera plant that has sturdy branches but the leaf clusters won't take a lot of weight. Hibiscus could work but they need lots of light. In fact it is best to get so you can rotate them in and out of the cage.

Since you all have big bruiser chameleons you are going to have to rely on branches and vines for them to use for climbing. Dracaena have strong upright stems but the leaves aren't great for heavy climbing. Pothos will weave around any branches you have for cover. You might find a larger schefflera plant that has sturdy branches but the leaf clusters won't take a lot of weight. Hibiscus could work but they need lots of light. In fact it is best to get so you can rotate them in and out of the cage.
I have some bungee cord looking rope but his plant is destroyed. How much light does hibiscus need maybe i can add an extra plant light.

Get the plant light it will help with hibiscus.
Try to design pathways that allow them to explore all the way around the cage at three levels with paths between levels. As they get bigger any climbing they do on the screen is going to damage their claws.

I forgot ficus but you would have to get a bigger size to be sturdy enough. In fact you would need two because they are leaf droppers in poor light or irregular watering.

Get the plant light it will help with hibiscus.
Try to design pathways that allow them to explore all the way around the cage at three levels with paths between levels. As they get bigger any climbing they do on the screen is going to damage their claws.
Great I have many good like sand washed but not too much to were they dont have grip. I can throw those around and some of that bungee stuff. Do they sell small single bulb fixtures so i can just set it at the top of the cage with everything else? He has a XL Repti Breeze.

I forgot ficus but you would have to get a bigger size to be sturdy enough. In fact you would need two because they are leaf droppers in poor light or irregular watering.
I tried that when he was smaller it didnt work out they were bare sticks in less than an month.lol

So I went shopping and got the hibiscus and a plant light for 23$ at Home Depot including the fixture. I left the big ficus in his cage and just added the hibiscus in there. Here’s a pic. I’m including my panthers cage with Mist King too.

Attachments

• 11C8EDC1-3402-4E3E-90FC-23EA9FAE6A10.jpeg
    11C8EDC1-3402-4E3E-90FC-23EA9FAE6A10.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 184
  • D0B113F3-DF1C-4791-A70A-D620656574A2.jpeg
    D0B113F3-DF1C-4791-A70A-D620656574A2.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 169
A big sturdy potted tree I like is Ficus alli (aka lance-leaved Ficus). You'll have to look for these at larger nurseries that sell tropical foliage and bigger house plants.

So here’s and update a nice white and red hibiscus flower cake out and he completely devoured it? Is this okay? Will I ever see flowers lol?

Back
Top Bottom