Best foods for Super Worms

Ilike4hornedchams

Established Member
Ok so this shouldn't be too complicated but I am finding my superworms, which I buy 500-1000 at a time, are not loving the foods I offer them and about 15-20% of them are dying off before I can feed them off! So here is the list of foods I offer them and how I think they like em.
- Water Crystals: so so.
- Bug Burger: they like it but it makes them pee ammonia which smells kinda strong so that's only a treat.
- Carrots: Good they like
- Cucumber: They don't care for
- Mixed greens: They don't care for
- Potato's: They don't care for
- Oranges: They don't care for

So what DO they like? When WILL keep them hydrated? I'm pretty sure the ones that are dying off simply like something that I'm not offering. Please let me know you're recommendations that WORK.

well carrots are great because they don't mold fast like fruit so keep the carrots and leafy greens increase calcium so if you can get them to eat those then try or you can try sweet potatoes but idk how well that will work out

My bedding is organic alfalfa pellets, so they eat that. I sprinkle cricket crack on top of that & they eat that. I use water crystals in a flat lid top - they love that. I occasionally put a quarter of an orange, they seem to go for that too.

I buy superworms in bulk for my other pets for whom they are staples. I have mine bedded in oat bran and whole oats. I liberally scoop my powder gutload (Pangaea PIG) into their bedding and mix it around. For wet gut load I have great luck with:

Leaves (green and a few brown)
  • Grape
  • Mulberry
  • Hibiscus
Greens
  • Dandelion
  • Watercress
  • Arugula/Rocket
  • Celery tops
  • Parsley
  • Cilantro/Coriander
Fruit
  • Apples
  • Grapes
  • Watermelon
  • Citrus (specifically orange/lemon)
  • Berries
Veggies:
  • Squash (zucchini, Mexican, crookneck)
  • Cucumber
  • Shredded and whole carrots
  • Bell peppers, small sweet peppers, etc. [edited to add]
The leaves, greens, and citrus I grow myself. I also have a grapevine for fruit. This keeps costs low for me. Any combination of the above is my usual wet gutload for the majority of my feeders. I’ve never had any issue with moisture content and I don’t add water crystals to their bedding. They always eat it up, in my experience. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I buy superworms in bulk for my other pets for whom they are staples. I have mine bedded in oat bran and whole oats. I liberally scoop my powder gutload (Pangaea PIG) into their bedding and mix it around. For wet gut load I have great luck with:

Leaves (green and a few brown)
  • Grape
  • Mulberry
  • Hibiscus
Greens
  • Dandelion
  • Watercress
  • Arugula/Rocket
  • Celery tops
  • Parsley
  • Cilantro/Coriander
Fruit
  • Apples
  • Grapes
  • Watermelon
  • Citrus (specifically orange/lemon)
  • Berries
Veggies:
  • Squash (zucchini, Mexican, crookneck)
  • Cucumber
  • Shredded and whole carrots
  • Bell peppers, small sweet peppers, etc. [edited to add]
The leaves, greens, and citrus I grow myself. I also have a grapevine for fruit. This keeps costs low for me. Any combination of the above is my usual wet gutload for the majority of my feeders. I’ve never had any issue with moisture content and I don’t add water crystals to their bedding. They always eat it up, in my experience. Hope this helps!

Photographic evidence: 7A0D2113-A81E-4866-B482-1E40B3B9742A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom