Best carnivores plants for Fruitflys

Brodybreaux25

Chameleon Enthusiast
Fruit flies every where! What is the best carnivorous plant for fruit fly? I know venus, pitcher, and sun dew plants will work but do any of them preform better the rest? I think Venus traps are out because the have to trip two hairs to trigger the trap. I'm leanin towards Sundews. Is any one variety of sundew better than the rest?

Are there any other plants that do better than these three?

Last edited:
I was just looking at this a couple weeks ago, I'm fighting a fungus gnat explosion as well. Butterworts seem to be the best, I'd assume sundews are good too. Nice thing about butterworts, they don't need to hibernate, they just turn into succulents for a few months. That all said, pitcher plants and fly traps are freaking awesome.

Thanks! I just ordered one sundew and one butterworts just to play with, both small. I'm sure at some point I'm going to want to buy bigger and better versions, can anyone recommend a good supplier I can buy from?

Anyone have any experience with raising them from seed instead of a young potted plant?

Thanks! I just ordered one sundew and one butterworts just to play with, both small. I'm sure at some point I'm going to want to buy bigger and better versions, can anyone recommend a good supplier I can buy from?

Anyone have any experience with raising them from seed instead of a young potted plant?
No experience in that but California Carnivores had a good selection

I prefer Nepenthes pitcher plants. They're tropical, safe for chams (as long as the pitcher can't hold the cham) and are alive all year round.
Really? They are safe for chams? I had one before and it didn't get enough light so it died. But if I could put one in my veiled's cage, I could keep it alive better!

Really? They are safe for chams? I had one before and it didn't get enough light so it died. But if I could put one in my veiled's cage, I could keep it alive better!
As far as I know, as long as the pitcher isn't able to swallow the cham, it is a great plant. I look forward to using it in my new bioactive setup, because it will control the inevitable fungus gnat invasion, the leaves are great for drinking, and it grows nicely.

I have way too many in my house to just wait for my plants catch up with my infestation. So I just wanted to share the first truly effective "flying insect management tool" I've come across. Cost about $5 + 2 AA batteries. I bought one for myself and my son. within two hours I know we knocked out at least 90% of those little bastards!

Attachments

• IMG_0139.PNG
    IMG_0139.PNG
    210.8 KB · Views: 100
What about good old fashioned fly paper? Super cheap, easy to hang a roll from the ceiling (or ceiling fan), and effective if a bit unsightly.

Side note, it's funny to hear pitcher plants being called tropical and seeing people charge $150 for them. Those, and venus fly traps, are all over where I grew up.

I hung 4 sets of fly paper in my living room. After three weeks, and I'm not exaggerating here, I caught a grand total of 1 fruit fly. The traps literally caught me more often than the damn flys.

Trust me, you can get an electric swatter for the same price as the paper. Also if you let your kids do the fly hunting for you, they will love you for it!

Back
Top Bottom