Best bulkhead water reservoir setup for MistKing misting system for home or apartment!

Trolli

Hello Chameleon Forums,

Meet Trolli, my five-month-old Ambilobe Panther Chameleon from local SF Bay Area breeder Highlighter Chameleons.

00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200222101243375_COVER (2).jpg

When I bought him, I got a standard cage and the MistKing Starter Misting System. I was really excited to set up my MistKing but immediately the process became much harder than I thought. The MistKing pump requires a water reservoir with a 1/4" tubing bulk-head connection to pump water from the reservoir. The only tool MistKing gives you is this plastic bulkhead connector piece that you, yourself have to install by drilling a hole in a bucket. Then you have to tighten a PLASTIC SCREW ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️ so that it creates a seal on the round bucket from both sides. HORRIBLE DESIGN!

plastic bulkhead
metal bulkhead

MistKing why :( ??? I drilled the hole perfectly with the right size drill bit, screwed down tight the bulkhead adaptor to the bucket, filled it up with water, and it started leaking everywhere!!!! I then tried superglue, sealant EVERYTHING, and I couldn't get it to seal. When I would tighten it more, eventually it would strip then go back to the starting point because the plastic couldn't hold tight enough under the water pressure of 2 gallons LOL. Super frustrating experience when I just wanted my chameleon to have a healthy habitat.

I ended up ordering MistKings metal 1/4 bulkhead adaptor but by this time I was so upset that I basically just spent $10 + $15 S/H from Canada, which took over a week to get here, for an adaptor that should have come standard with the MistKing setup. Big thumbs down ?????

By that time I was so frustrated that I would have to go buy a new bucket, deal with all this hassle of drilling the hole etc . . . . that I started researching if there were any bulkhead water containers that were compatible with a 1/4" hose.

Let me tell you, it was super hard to find actually! I didn't think I was going to find anything but then found this brand Eshopps that sells a 2 gallon with a 1/4" fitting. I found it on Amazon actually and it's wasn't cheap at $70, but I took the hit because it looked perfect from the photos. Not only does the container have curb appeal, it even has a water level indicator on the side! Super helpful. The amount of water lasts around a week which is perfect for Trolli. When I refill the water, I simply use my Vitamix blender to transfer water from the sink the container across my house (kinda like a watering can).

My only complaint is there are holes at the top of the container for mounting to the wall where water could drip out if it's overfilled. It's a minor inconvenience that some duck-tape can fix, but overall, this bulkhead is a great product I'm super happy with it for not having to deal with the hassle. Plus it looks way better than a plastic bucket would in my apartment.

IMG_20200312_205722_2.jpg

I hope this post helps anyone looking to have a nice MistKing setup for their chameleon.

Regards,
Jordan

Hello Chameleon Forums,

Meet Trolli, my five-month-old Ambilobe Panther Chameleon from local SF Bay Area breeder Highlighter Chameleons.

View attachment 260472

When I bought him, I got a standard cage and the MistKing Starter Misting System. I was really excited to set up my MistKing but immediately the process became much harder than I thought. The MistKing pump requires a water reservoir with a 1/4" tubing bulk-head connection to pump water from the reservoir. The only tool MistKing gives you is this plastic bulkhead connector piece that you, yourself have to install by drilling a hole in a bucket. Then you have to tighten a PLASTIC SCREW ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️ so that it creates a seal on the round bucket from both sides. HORRIBLE DESIGN!

View attachment 260474View attachment 260475
MistKing why :( ??? I drilled the hole perfectly with the right size drill bit, screwed down tight the bulkhead adaptor to the bucket, filled it up with water, and it started leaking everywhere!!!! I then tried superglue, sealant EVERYTHING, and I couldn't get it to seal. When I would tighten it more, eventually it would strip then go back to the starting point because the plastic couldn't hold tight enough under the water pressure of 2 gallons LOL. Super frustrating experience when I just wanted my chameleon to have a healthy habitat.

I ended up ordering MistKings metal 1/4 bulkhead adaptor but by this time I was so upset that I basically just spent $10 + $15 S/H from Canada, which took over a week to get here, for an adaptor that should have come standard with the MistKing setup. Big thumbs down ?????

By that time I was so frustrated that I would have to go buy a new bucket, deal with all this hassle of drilling the hole etc . . . . that I started researching if there were any bulkhead water containers that were compatible with a 1/4" hose.

Let me tell you, it was super hard to find actually! I didn't think I was going to find anything but then found this brand Eshopps that sells a 2 gallon with a 1/4" fitting. I found it on Amazon actually and it's wasn't cheap at $70, but I took the hit because it looked perfect from the photos. Not only does the container have curb appeal, it even has a water level indicator on the side! Super helpful. The amount of water lasts around a week which is perfect for Trolli. When I refill the water, I simply use my Vitamix blender to transfer water from the sink the container across my house (kinda like a watering can).

My only complaint is there are holes at the top of the container for mounting to the wall where water could drip out if it's overfilled. It's a minor inconvenience that some duck-tape can fix, but overall, this bulkhead is a great product I'm super happy with it for not having to deal with the hassle. Plus it looks way better than a plastic bucket would in my apartment.

View attachment 260473

I hope this post helps anyone looking to have a nice MistKing setup for their chameleon.

Regards,
Jordan

Looks really nice but $70 bucks is quite steep considering you can find something else that essentially performs the same function for less than $10. I use a clear plastic tub (pretty much identical to the one below) which also "shows" the water level (since it's clear, lol) and holds over 10 gallons. This cost me $7.

98645732_B.png

I know it's too late for you but they actually sell the 1/4" bulkhead adapter at Josh's Frogs with free shipping...

https://www.joshsfrogs.com/mistking-value-1-4-inch-bulkhead.html

The next time you need a spare part you should order from them to save shipping costs and time.

The issue is I didn't want another plastic adaptor after breaking the first one, and I was so frustrated and didn't want something that would look "ghetto" in my apartment if that makes sense. Yeah $70 is steep, but I think with anything, the finer things are going to cost a bit more. I had the money and thought it was worth it. Totally get the practicality of your setup though!

The issue is I didn't want another plastic adaptor after breaking the first one, and I was so frustrated and didn't want something that would look "ghetto" in my apartment if that makes sense. Yeah $70 is steep, but I think with anything, the finer things are going to cost a bit more. I had the money and thought it was worth it. Totally get the practicality of your setup though!

I re-read what you originally wrote and get it now ... I have used 2 of the plastic adapters and have not had any issues whatsoever. Maybe you got a defective part? Then again, I'm not sure how well they would work with curved buckets. They are obviously designed to be inserted into a flat surface, which my tubs provide. My water reservoirs are under a rack in a corner of my chameleon room, so looks are not a priority, though I do often spend more in other areas for no other reason than aesthetics. That said, I think my tubs look OK and are a big step up from a bucket.

Sometimes, when I can't find something that I really, really like, looks-wise, I resort to DIY. I'm pretty sure I could easily reproduce that reservoir with sheets from a local acrylic shop for about half the cost. Is DIY something you are open to?

Maybe I read this wrong, but if you are getting water from your sink (tap water) you may have some issues with your mistking down the road, not to mention that most tap water is barely potable for humans these days, let alone Chameleons.

I freely admit that I could be reading that wrong, or you maybe have an RO system by your sink, or have an artesian well with perfect parameters or some such, but if not, you may want to investigate the effects of your local tap water on both your misting system and your cham.

Not being at all critical, just trying to offer a friendly "Head's up" if you didn't know.

Back on subject, I also use larger, rectangular tubs for my mistking reservoir and have no problem with the adapters that came with the ultimate system. Not sure if it's the same as they send with the basic, but I believe it probably is.

I’m going to be using a trigger systems 10 gallon ATO tank I had left over from an older tank build, I’m going to install a float valve that will be hooked into a T coming out of my RODI unit. Then have it setup like Jordan’s in first post leaving the tank. It will be auto and I won’t have to worry about filling the tank. I’ve been using this method on my tanks but with a sensor in the sump and a solenoid that shuts off and on not a float valve. I use an aquatec pump pre RODI to bump the pressure to around 75psi. I’m looking forward to my build, and my new arrival. Just ordered a male from Bruce today and am looking forward to the arrival of my new little guy.

That’s so odd. I’ve installed the plastic bulkhead on two standard curved buckets and have had no issues whatsoever.

If the drill bit is sharp and you drill perfectly it works fine but use a dull bit at a slight angle and you get leaks. A flat sided container is easier to drill straight and clean. The bulk head looks very pro but it should at that price.

If worried about the Plastic bulkhead, or want a cleaner tank system.

Check out RV storage tanks, they come in all kinds of sizes, and have 1/2 threaded outlets, just get a 1/2 NPT to 1/4 Quick Release adapter. Like 2 bucks on amazon :).

they have the benefit of being built to store water for drinking :).

Back
Top Bottom