Being a vet is hard sometimes...

I had to search for it, but this always makes me laugh! (Pardon the swear word!)

image.jpg

Last edited:
I admire your strength. My life dream was to become a vet, but when my friend's rabbit got a worbil (bot fly maggot?) under his skin, and I vomited profusely because of the grossness, I realized I don't have what it takes. You have to be tremendously strong in so many ways to do what you do. Heck, just to get into vet school takes a determination many people do not possess. I would say that if you weren't frustrated at times like these, you wouldn't be human. Thank you for doing what you do:D

I've worked for animal control in the past and have also seen some of the incredible things people do to their "pets" so know how discouraged you can get. I work for a federal land management agency and have to put up with an amazing amount of political c*&p, public stupidity, greed, and malice. It may not involve individual animals directly but the attitudes of humans toward their planet sure does beat you down in other ways.

Just as you can't predict the next hard case you also cannot predict the next surprising one. That one that shouldn't have survived but did. The incredulous look of joy on an owner's face. When technology actually worked better than it normally does. You may see the worst in people under stress, but you probably also see the best come out as well.

At least a web forum like this one lets us all share about our chams...but with slightly less gruesome reality. We can help, advise, inform, commiserate, and rant with a little bit of buffer from the real world.

Hang in there!

Dayna - you are a ROCK, and we couldn't ask for a better in house expert to go to when things hit the fan around here. Just remember that we are never given more than we can handle, though we all have days, weeks, and months where it seems like just one more thing is gonna push us over the edge.
You are a shining example to those who practice your trade and I know that I personally wish that all Vets had the same caring passion that you exude.

Just remember, you can't take care of your patients if you aren't taking care of yourself, so do whatever it is that gives you stress relief and try to get some good solid rest.
Time away from the job is what I would prescribe, focus on you and all those things that make you VERY happy and give YOU lots of joy, then you can go back to helping all of those innocent creatures that come through your doors in their darkest hours, only to be met by your shining light & caring touch.

Good morning! I could've slept more if the dogs could tell time better and know it was not their dinner time yet! You guys are the best. :eek: Luckily I have my animals and my wonderful husband to keep me sane. I work all weekend (yay) but next week we're going skiing with some friends so that will be a nice break. I don't have any vacation time right now so I have to spend days off wisely to make them count. Taking the dogs hiking is one of the best ways to escape!

Here's hoping for lots of happy ending patients this weekend! And some good bloody lacerations for me to fix. ;) Remember to be nice to your pets' vets when you can. Thank yous go a long way in this field because your vet does care so much. :) Nice people make my day!

Okay I realize the bloody laceration comment might freak some people out...sorry. Those are so rewarding! It looks like a disaster and is such a mess and then I can fix it and make it all better. And I've gotten fast at them too...average laceration takes me 10 minutes now! So they're rewarding and fun to do. :)

Thank you so much for what you do, and all the valuable advice you freely dispense here to us. You are welcome to vent here anytime you'd like to, I think you've got lots of ears to listen, and shoulders to cry on. I agree with the comment that if this didn't get to you, you wouldn't be human. You may never be able to change the humans you come into contact with, but think of the look of gratitude in a dog's eyes as you help it to get better. Enjoy your ski trip, you've earned it!

Still LOL about the bloody lacerations part but i understood what you were saying,I am sure most everyone else did also !!! :D

So...in case anyone's counting I still haven't a magical shift to make me feel better yet! On Saturday I saw a super sweet dog with super sweet owners who had just been vomiting for about a day, no biggie. Go through my whole talk about common causes of vomiting and the need for diagnostics - take some x-rays and the poor dog's lungs were full of cancer from one end to the other. Owners were devastated of course and just wanted to spend a little time with her so I sent her home on pain meds and anti-nausea meds. Clearly the nausea meds worked because she gained 5 pounds overnight! I told them to spoil her. ;)

Sunday, a dog goes to his regular vet for respiratory distress and they told him it had pneumonia so sent him to me for ICU care. I look at the 11 and half year old Great Dane (they only live like 8-10 years normally) and already know I'm about to give this guy bad news. Sure enough, his lungs are completely full of cancer too! And he has pericardial effusion (blood around the heart that's not allowing to beat correctly). He was basically dying in front of me and his owner didn't know. Bonus: the owner only spoke about 15 words of English, and Japanese is a bit difficult to muddle through. Oh and extra bonus, the sweet dog from the day before comes back to be euthanized because she started coughing up blood. So sad...I cried with the owners during that one.

Tuesday, early morning a dog comes in status epilecticus, which is nonstop seizures. And despite every seizure medication I can give him continues to seizure nonstop until I anesthetize him! So really serious. And he was a young dog with a super sweet owner also. I spent all day constantly fretting over him and trying different things to help him and by the end of the day he wasn't any better because his seizures started getting worse and he vomited and aspirated so had pneumonia on top of it. His poor owner just could not afford the $6000+ bill that he would end up with and we couldn't even tell if he had permanent brain damage because he wouldn't stop seizing (he most likely did). So after spending the whole day trying to save him we ended up euthanizing him. I wasn't wrong to do, it was just so sad.

So...still waiting for some happy endings! But on the plus side I got the nicest thank you card from a previous patient's family that totally made my day! I really needed that.

O.K., so you did not follow your prescribed medication, so now I have to do this...

IMG_0695.jpg

This is Rascal. He was in congestive heart failure and threw a blood clot that went from his heart to between his hind legs, causing them to stop working. (Saddle Thrombis) He had a valve working incorrectly that caused recirculating of blood in the heart chamber and a thickening of the heart wall. He was only 6 months old. After one of the hardest nights ever, and some of the best advice and diagnosis from the University of Florida Small Animal Hospital we made a tough decision to try to save his life. There were no guarantees, but again, with medication there was hope. Unfortunately for Rascal, even after days and days of home physical therapy and heat packs, he lost his leg. The entire cardiology department was there for his surgery! (even the one on vacation :D) He has since made an amazing recovery and will live a long and healthy life with the help of medications and lots of LOVE!

My point in all this is, without these very special people dealing with the most difficult times, Rascal would no longer be living up to his name! :rolleyes: I am forever grateful for their help and could never thank them enough.

IMG_0710.jpg

Even though you never knew Rascal, I'm sure you would have tried whatever it would take to save his life as well! Remember the happy endings and let them pull you through the toughest of days! ;)

D,

Sending you {{{HUGS}}} because that is all I can do. Life just sucks at times. A friend of mine went to sleep on Sunday night and didn't wake up. The news is shocking as well as devastating. Give yourself some peace of mind for ALL the ones you do save and have saved. Let go those negative thoughts for those poor animals who have crappy owners (not including the ones who can't pay) and know that at least the final moments of that animal's life will be with someone who gave a (bleep). Take one day at a time. If you can find a ride for the little guy who went to the shelter, send him to me and I will find him a home. I find that a nice bouquet of flowers takes away some of the hurt. :)

So...still waiting for some happy endings! But on the plus side I got the nicest thank you card from a previous patient's family that totally made my day! I really needed that.
You will get lots and lots more happy endings :). You know well that all endings end in death and that isn't the important part. The important part is the life that is loved and looked after properly until until the inevitable final end. And if that has been especially good fun then of course the end is sad, for a time. Hoping for lacerations lol :D

Deca - that is awesome about Rascal! I have seen a handful of saddle thrombus lately and no one ever wants to go forward with treatment so it's so refreshing to see one that was successful! Keep up the good work Rascal!

Deca - that is awesome about Rascal! I have seen a handful of saddle thrombus lately and no one ever wants to go forward with treatment so it's so refreshing to see one that was successful! Keep up the good work Rascal!

If you ever want to see what treatment he received let me know. I can PM ya the details. ;)

Second attempt, perhaps I'll be proper this time...

I got the nicest thank you card from a previous patient's family that totally made my day! I really needed that.

There's a saying in advertising: for every letter or card you get, 100 people feel the same way. So think of that card as a whole lot of grateful people telling you how much they appreciate what you've done for their beloved pets.

You've chosen a field which will be a roller coaster of emotion. You know that.

I feel for you. I would wish that you didn't have to go through this, but I really think the owners of your patients benefit from having someone who cares so much. You are giving them a huge gift by investing yourself so much in their pets. Even if they don't say it, they know it.

And, you have to remember that they might not be able to express their appreciation when you need to hear it.

That said, I really hope someone brings an expectant Pug in so you can oversee the birthing process or something equally life affirming because you are due that.

Back
Top Bottom