beginner reptiles

caroline?

Avid Member
So my brother had an axolotl that he purchased about a year ago, when he got it it was very sick and he didn't know, it passed away a couple weeks ago and he was devastated i feel terrible
so I was thinking i could get him another pet for Christmas we have a 20 gallon long tank and a empty screen cage (chameleon kit) so does anyone have some recommendations for reptiles that you can handle and that could go in one of those enclosures?
I was thinking about a leopard gecko because we're had them before (also i would be able to help him with care)

+1 to a leaopard gecko for the 20G Long, and maybe a crestie for the chameleon kit cage (which is really too small for an adult cham.)

Bearded dragons are outstanding starters, but neither of those enclosures are really large enough.
As most chameleons require a 24" x 24" x 48"H minimum, beardies require a 48" x 24" x 24"H minimum.

yea i had the chameleon kit for surprise baby chameleons lol it's the only repti breeze they had at the store

also update he caught some kind of baby skink when he was hunting so i set up an enclosure for it it's pretty cute!

yea i had the chameleon kit for surprise baby chameleons lol it's the only repti breeze they had at the store

also update he caught some kind of baby skink when he was hunting so i set up an enclosure for it it's pretty cute!
Do you know what kind and how to care for it tho?

@PoseidonTheChameleon it's a five lined skink i believe, and i set up the 20 gallon for it and he's just been basking and has been exploring the cage and he just ate some crickets. im gonna add a picture someone tell me what kind he is if he's not what i think he is lol (also he was only in the water bowl because he accidentally went into it)

Attachments

• 850549A6-C3FD-4F7A-88D7-5B1B22C2ED2A.jpeg
    850549A6-C3FD-4F7A-88D7-5B1B22C2ED2A.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 130
That's not a baby skink, it's fully grown.

Aside from that I can't really help on its care.

I'm going to recommend a different pet, as US skinks don't tend to be out and about, there are a lot of other lizards that don't mind being out there.

That said if you want to keep it by all means do so. There is something very rewarding about raising a pet you've caught.

hii update so the skink has been eating crickets and drinking, i tried to encourage my little brother to let him go but he wanted to keep it, even though he never sees it because it stays underground all day haha

At least it doesn't require lighting more expensive than the lizard! :p

My first lizard was a green anole (great first lizards for kids). I lucked out keeping it on a screened porch that allowed UVB through. Back then, the care books didn't even mention UVB.

Back
Top Bottom