Beginner Jackson's owner, please help!

cstorms

I know I should have researched before i bought him, but the guy at the shop gave him to me for half off if I got him right away... so I couldn't resist.

I have read some posts on this forum and other websites but I seem to keep getting mixed answers. I figured I'd make my first post on here in hopes of getting some helpful advice.

I have a male Jackson's chameleon with a body about 4/5 inches long. I bought a mesh-like reptile cage that is about 1.5' x 1.5' x 2.5/3'. I bought a piece of wood and a vine (which he absolutely loves) from the pet shop. I got a few long, plastic aquarium plants from wal-mart that I tucked into the top part of the cage frame. I assumed that since the plants are safe for fish that they should be ok for my cham.. is this ok?

I have one light with a red bulb that I was told to leave on at all times. I have a thermometer towards the bottom of the cage that reads high 60s/low 70s, so I figure it is in the 80s towards the top where my cham hangs out. The guy at the pet shop told me this light would be sufficient as long as the cham is also by a window that receives plenty of natural light. Do I need another light?

I have a bunch of crickets in a little cage and they are feeding on some sliced up apple. I keep reading about gutloading crickets... is this apple sufficient or do I need to buy something else for them? Should I feed my cham anything other than crickets?

How often should I mist his cage and for how long, and should I mist the cham too? He doesn't seem to mind, but he closes his eyes when I do. I do not think I have been misting his cage enough.. I usually just cover the plastic plants, should I mist everywhere?

I have a ton of questions, I hope you guys can steer me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

You should look into getting a taller cage. Aquarium plants should be fine, jsut make sure you clean them before putting them in. You need two lights, one basking light, one uvb light. Look for the reptisun 5.0/10.0 uvb long tube style lights, and a basking light usually from 60-90w depending on your setup in a regular light dome. Don't keep the red light on at all times, chameleons don't like them on at night and then they have sleeping problems. Don't assume the temp at your chams basking spot is good, you want 70s at the bottom and i am not sure about this but for jacksons 90s at the top. You need to buy/make a cricket gutload. Imagine if you yourself only ate apples all your life. You would be malnourished. Your cham eats what your crickets eat, they are just the middle man. Jacksons need high humidity, mist alot. minimum 2 or 3 times a day for 3-5 minutes at a time. Also get supplements to powder your crickets, i.e. calcium w/o d3 and w/ d3, and a multivitamin. get a dripper as well so that if your cham is thirsty and it isnt misting time he still has water available.

read the blogs on husbandry on this site to get alot more info.

I just sent a pm to the member who made a great video. i will get the link and send it to you in a few minutes.

Thanks for the replies so far!!!! I really appreciate it, very helpful.. WOW this video is great

I just dug the box from the lightbulb I bought out of the recycling.. this is what i have up there now: Zoo Med, Nightlight Red Reptile Bulb, 60 watts.

I am going to head to the pet store and buy some more supplies to make sure my cham has whatever he needs. Should I return this light and get a different setup all together? I ordered some more fake leaves and vines off amazon last night as well as the little dripper to set him up with a drip system. If there is anything you guys can think of off the top of your head that I can get today I would appreciate it. Thanks!

You should return it. Do you have a 5.0 repti sun UVB? That is the most important light. That and a regular house hold light is perfect for a heat light.
The other thing I would do is get some live plants. Pothos, ficus tree or umbrella trees are all good choices.

Thanks again! heading to the store..

I found this on the web.. is this accurate?

"Enclosure - plants: There are many plants suitable for chameleon cages. The plant must have similar temperature and humidity requirements, and must not be considered toxic. This is a short list of the acceptable and unacceptable plants for chameleon enclosures:

Acceptable - Weeping fig Ficus benjamina, Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, pothos or devil's ivy Epipremnum aureum, Dwarf Umbrella Schefflera arboricola

Unacceptable - Octopus Tree or Queensland Umbrella Tree Schefflera actinophylla, Rubber Tree or Rubber Plant Ficus elastica"

...also, should I get anything from the store for my crickets? or should I make gutload on my own?

Back
Top Bottom