Beginner asking for tips?

Playdo

Hello everybody. I'm new to the forum, nice to meet you all.

I've been caring for two Jackson's chameleons. The female has been in my care for maybe 3 to four months. I saved up and set up a cage for a male and picked him up yesterday. They both have reptiglo 5.0 UVB lights, a lot of foliage in their cages, I'm currently looking for a hibiscus plant for both their homes. They both eat 6-8 crickets a day and 2 mealworms a day. Misted 4-5 times a day. Lights off at 8:00 pm and on at 8:00 am. Is there anything else I should be doing? They're both hand fed if that helps and live in 30x30x18 terrariums.

Jackson's can easily be over supplemented so daily dusting doesn't need to be done and can be deterimental to their health

do you have basking lights for them besides the uvb light? They need that too! do you gutload your crickets? Welcome to the forums!

Please fill this out so we can see where you may need some tips.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Off the top of my head tips for jacksons.

Buy a cool mist humidifier.

Put lots of plants and vines in the cage.

Use appropriate sized feeders.

Linear tube uvb.

Gut load your feeders well.

Give them natural sunlight as much as possible.

Plain phos free calcium every feeding.

Here we go.

I too own Jacksons of my own, recently got a new one myself! Hope all goes well for you.

I think this is everything.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male and Female Jacksons Chameleons, both about half a year old. Female in my care for 4 months, male in my care for about 48 hours.

Handling -Only if i'm moving something around in their cage, or taking them outside to their free range plant I have set up so they can bask in some real sunlight.

Feeding - Crickets for staple diet, medium sized I make sure they're not bigger than the gaps between their eyes. And a mealworm or two a day. Crickets gutloaded with flukers gutload, collard greens, and carrots. Mealworms eat potatos. They eat about 3-6 crickets a day.

Supplements - Dusted lightly with "Herpcare Cricket Dust" each feeding, but I see now I should do that less?

Watering - Both have a dripper set up near their favorite branch to relax on, misted 4-6 times a day for one minute each.

Fecal Description - Regular looking, brown with a white tip or yellow. Neither have been tested for parasites yet.

History - Nothing really, never had any problems with the female and the male is brand new to me so I guess time will have to tell with that.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Both live in 30wx30Lx18 all screen (except the floor) terrariums.

Lighting - Repti-glo 5.0 UVB tube lights.

Temperature - Average cage temp. is about 75-76. Basking spot is about 85-86.

Humidity - Humidity stays between 70-80. I measure using an Electric Hygrometer. I mist a lot but live in Hawaii so it stays pretty humid here on it's own.

Plants - I use a majority of fake branches and vines for them to move around on but I have a free range hibiscus set up outside for them to get real sunlight and am looking for maybe a pothos for each cage.

Placement - In my room up on opposite sides of the room(they can't see each other) both are about 3-4" off the ground (shelves I bought to help with drainage from drippers.

Location - Honolulu, Hawaii

Current Problem - No problem, just checking to see if there's anything else I can do :)

Figured although i have no real experience with jacksons, i would welcome you to the forums! so without further delay... Welcome to the Forums!

Back
Top Bottom