Before I tear down my bioactive enclosures...

Idt, apparently ghost ants only attack if the colony is disturbed. If there is a colony in your cage, it's probably in the substrate where your cham wont be going. I'm no expert on them though. Maybe @Persnickety Parson's has some input?
Well, my hibiscus aren’t doing well and I need to remove them. Think I’ll just break everything down, do a deep cleaning and start again later. Wonder if I can rescue some of my cuc. :unsure:

Cancel my last post...just looked as close as I could and they look to be more ant like, so going off to buy Terro. Also, don’t seem to be in Hammlet’s enclosure which is between my ladies. Only difference in enclosures is the hibiscus, which is the first place I saw these miserable intruders. So, removing the failing hibiscus and setting up Terro baits.

Cancel my last post...just looked as close as I could and they look to be more ant like, so going off to buy Terro. Also, don’t seem to be in Hammlet’s enclosure which is between my ladies. Only difference in enclosures is the hibiscus, which is the first place I saw these miserable intruders. So, removing the failing hibiscus and setting up Terro baits.

Just let the traps do the job try not to mess with the ants at all. In time itll wipe them.out

Glad you're handling without totally breaking down your bioactive setup. What a shame that would be! Plus Grumpy doesn't seem upset that he has a hitchiker. ?

Well, my hibiscus aren’t doing well and I need to remove them. Think I’ll just break everything down, do a deep cleaning and start again later. Wonder if I can rescue some of my cuc. :unsure:

You def can. Put a piece of corkbark in there and shake it into a bucket. You’ll be able to differentiate the isopods from the other guys.

If you can, removing the plants and giving them a strong stream from the hose will help cut down on plant pests. A little diluted dawn dish soap sprayed first is extra effective.

If you have other plant pests, there may be “honeydew” on the leaves and stems of plants... that honeydew attracts ants.

Idt, apparently ghost ants only attack if the colony is disturbed. If there is a colony in your cage, it's probably in the substrate where your cham wont be going. I'm no expert on them though. Maybe @Persnickety Parson's has some input?

I don't think ghost ants are going to bother anything unless it's very weak to begin with. Given the nomadic nature of the ants they may simply move off after a few weeks, if not, you have a nice clean up crew.

I don't think ghost ants are going to bother anything unless it's very weak to begin with. Given the nomadic nature of the ants they may simply move off after a few weeks, if not, you have a nice clean up crew.
The hibiscus are the weakest at the moment. I had tested if my plant lights were strong enough for them before going bioactive and it seemed they were. In Grumpy’s enclosure exactly half of the hibiscus is dead while the other half is ok. The other, Stella ate all of the leaves off and seems to be nibbling the leaf buds that are trying to grow, so it’s basically now a bare stick plant. I also suspect that the little bugs hitched a ride in on the hibiscus as I had kept them outside until I set up the bioactive. I rinsed well with the hose, but obviously not well enough. I have some nice dracaena and umbrella trees standing by on back up.

The hibiscus are the weakest at the moment. I had tested if my plant lights were strong enough for them before going bioactive and it seemed they were. In Grumpy’s enclosure exactly half of the hibiscus is dead while the other half is ok. The other, Stella ate all of the leaves off and seems to be nibbling the leaf buds that are trying to grow, so it’s basically now a bare stick plant. I also suspect that the little bugs hitched a ride in on the hibiscus as I had kept them outside until I set up the bioactive. I rinsed well with the hose, but obviously not well enough. I have some nice dracaena and umbrella trees standing by on back up.

My hibiscus (outside) attract a lot of insects and ants. I rinse the flowers before bringing them in to feed. You’re right the bugs probably hitched a ride on it, and its probably the plant of choice in your enclosure. Pull it and wash it really well, and your others, and you may be ok.

I have nasturtium and marigold in my garden for the same reason - they attract insects and pollinators. They also attract the bad plant pests away from my other plants.

My hibiscus (outside) attract a lot of insects and ants. I rinse the flowers before bringing them in to feed. You’re right the bugs probably hitched a ride on it, and its probably the plant of choice in your enclosure. Pull it and wash it really well, and your others, and you may be ok.

I have nasturtium and marigold in my garden for the same reason - they attract insects and pollinators. They also attract the bad plant pests away from my other plants.
When I had a vegetable garden I was companion planting rather than using insecticides and it worked quite well. I hadn’t thought of doing the same for my decorative plants.
Will pull the hibiscus and put in some well washed substitutes. Going to make my chams angry today I guess. Gonna be a lot of hissing.:eek:

When I had a vegetable garden I was companion planting rather than using insecticides and it worked quite well. I hadn’t thought of doing the same for my decorative plants.
Will pull the hibiscus and put in some well washed substitutes. Going to make my chams angry today I guess. Gonna be a lot of hissing.:eek:

I’d put it back in if you want to keep it! I am in the habit now of just cycling my plants and washing the cages /plants every 3 months or so. I did the same and let a sneaky plant pest (or two!) get into my cham cages and its been a battle ever since. Ive just resigned to quarterly cleanings - its a good chance to spruce the cage up, too.

Back
Top Bottom