Bees

KylieT

Though it's a lot of work to catch and de-stingerfy the bees. I approve of them as a treat for my chams. Today I caught some and Uhura is going nuts. Just thought I'd share.

I got a bug net and a little kid bug keeper from walmart. though the keeper isn't necessary you can use a ziplock bag. I also got some rubber gloves (the washing dishes kind) just in case. Then I went out and caught them, put them in the fridge until they fall asleep, or in the freezer to speed it up. I tried just getting them to push out the stinger (giving them a squeeze on the butt didn't seem to work for me) so I switched to a towel. I wrapped their heads in it and left the butts exposed and used the towel to catch the stinger on and pull it out a bit so I could grab it with tweezers and pull it out. And don't be like me and get freaked out when a bunch of entrails come out. Then I let them go in my cham's cage and she got super excited when they were flying around. :)

I have not got any bees around yet, tons of wasp, but they seem really big and nasty. Have you ever tried wasp? I also see people who feed bees with the stinger intact, have you ever done that? Just wonder if it is safe, sorry for all the questions.

lol no problem :) This is my first time doing this. So I have no idea. My personal opinion on wasps is I'm too damn scared to catch them and deal with them because their ferocious and I'm a weenie. :D and that ties into the stingers in tact thing, I'm a super protective cham owner and I barely let my monster of a female eat supers with the heads on. :eek: I've been stung by bees and wasps before and I wouldn't open my cham to it.

I have not feed bees to my chams, but I have seen a cham or two eat a yellowjacket and a couple of honeybees while basking outside from time to time..Im sure its not the best thing due to the risk of them getting stung.Im guessing in madigascar they eat some big mean nasty looking bugs that make our bees look quite friendly

Bees are one of the things chams eat most of in the wild, there is a risk though. You can freeze them and pull the stingers off if your worried. Carpenter bees would be a good one to feed off as they're big, males have no stingers, and females hardly EVER sting.

Back
Top Bottom