Bed time pattern change

April McGregor

Established Member
So I might be overreacting here but I thought I'd double check with you guys anyway.

I have had Pickle for 6 days now and every night I turn his heat lamp off at 7:15pm, he then makes his way over to the one vine that he sleeps on before I turn off his Uvb light at 7:30pm

He has been a happy active baby today and eaten loads but when I turned his heat lamp off at 7:15pm instead of making his way to his vine he stayed high up (away from the heat lamp) in his leaves and just moved around a bit in there. I waited until 7:30pm and was in the same spot so I thought he mightve been stuck so placed him on his sleeping vine.

He is now wondering about the viv and I'm worried if I turn the uvb light off he wont be able to see and be stuck somewhere.

Please advise if you think there is soemthijf wrong or on what I should do.

Thank you in advance

Just to update you, I have placed him on his sleeping vine again and turned off the uvb and he is now sleeping.

Still worried why he was doing that, I know I've only had him for 6 days but he done the exact same thing every night apart from tonight.

Just in case you havent seen my last post with his info.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon: Veiled, male, 6 weeks old and have had him for 6 days.

Handling: Handle him every day, just a couple of seconds to take him down to his food bowl and get him used to handling. He is very friendly and does not mind being handled.

Feeding: Fruit flies around 20 along with 10-15 micro silent crickets. This is fed in 3-4 feeings throughout the day.

Supplements: Calcium without D3 every feeding. Have Calcium with D3 ready to give him twice a month. Have not got his multivitamins but will be getting some to also give twice a month.

Watering: Have a pressurised mister, mist him about 3-4 times a day for about 1-2 minutes.

Fecal description: Healthy brown and white urate.

History: Got him from my local reptile shop, he was the small one of the batch but seemed to be very healthy, huge appetite and very friendly, always at the front of the cage and was being handled everyday.

Cage info:
Cage type: Wooden viv with glass doors and a screen top. Size (in inches) 36L x 24W x 18D

Lighting: Reptisun 5.0 Uvb strip light (7:15am-7:30pm). Basking bulb 100w, getting a 75w bulb tomorrow instead (7:30am-7:15pm).

Temperature: Basking spot usually a steady 30-32°C and rest of cage 25°C. At night temps usually stay around 18-23°C.

Humidity: Seems to stay around 40-50%. Both humidity and temperature however are measured by analogue so not sure how reliable those are, going to be getting a digital one and a temp gun.

Plants: One small Umbrella plant cleaned and soil covered with large rocks. Plenty of fake plants dotted around also. Also have another plant on the way, can't remember the name atm.

Placement: Lives with just me and my partner in a flat that tends be quite cold (reason for the wooden viv), his cage is in our spare room on a chest of draws about eye level to us. Very low traffic.

Current Problem: Mentioned above

That is totally normal, usually they have a spot where they goto to sleep right before the lights for off. Sometimes they do not goto that spot, totally normal. Dont be scared to turn the lights off if they are out of that spot. They will most likely sleep where they are when the light is turned off.

That is totally normal, usually they have a spot where they goto to sleep right before the lights for off. Sometimes they do not goto that spot, totally normal. Dont be scared to turn the lights off if they are out of that spot. They will most likely sleep where they are when the light is turned off.

Oh brilliant thank you for responding, I thought as much but better to be safe than sorry!

Totally normal. Chams have moods and patterns like people but, also just like people, that doesn’t guarantee the will do everything the same way every time. He will likely develope a few different favorite sleeping spots as he settles in.

Totally normal. Chams have moods and patterns like people but, also just like people, that doesn’t guarantee the will do everything the same way every time. He will likely develope a few different favorite sleeping spots as he settles in.

Oh brilliant that's great to know thanks!

The spot he was settled into looked a little too dangerous to sleep, fake leaves and positioned vertically rather than horizontal so got a bit paranoid.

Oh brilliant that's great to know thanks!

The spot he was settled into looked a little too dangerous to sleep, fake leaves and positioned vertically rather than horizontal so got a bit paranoid.
Mine sleeps upside down sometimes.. not as much now though since hes gotten so BIG

Back
Top Bottom