Becoming a chameleon owner.

Newtsowner

Hello everyone,
After several years as a kid wanting a reptile. I'm finally getting one as an adult. I made the mistake of getting a chameleon at an awesome Petco but I'm sure as all of you can guess, about maybe a week of getting my female veiled chameleon she became ill very quickly with a really bad TO. Petco offered the whole 30 day garuntee covering vet visits. Well I called did the whole shebang get to the vet and he says. Oh she is fine...... she is just being defensive. I was 90% positive she was sick. Then I thought. Maybe I'm just being an over cautious caring owner. Then I noticed the slobber bubbles from the mouth and crust from the nose and mouth was constantly open and was not eating. Called again and they said well the Vet said she was ok so don't worry if it's still bad in a couple days then we will cover another vet appt. I know she would not make it another couple days so I took her in to show them and didn't seem to care very much. So I said I can't take care of she is getting sick fast. They just said we will give you your money back. It was heart breaking but I just couldn't keep her..... well after that process no lie not even 5 min later they walk her back and put her in the container I originally got her from. I was irate but what could I do. So their is that story, but I found a dealer the does reptiles and contacted him. It's reptile city in lexington SC. He said he will be receiving baby veileds which I'm after later this week from a wholesaler in florida. I was just curious if anyone has heard of him or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've done as much research as possible so I feel comfortable and prepared to take on the task would appreciate any input thank you.

Sounds like she had an infection, sorry to hear. My first ever baby, Orange Juice lasted just a few days after the garentee. They offered me a discount but I only wanted to know what I did wrong. Their care guides were very inaccurate and I honestly will never trust there again. I got a male, Yoyo from some very nice breeders. He is healthy and happy, and pretty hardy! I think the trick is to buy them at an older age for sure. Four or five months is the ideal for newer guys in my experience, they're not as vanurable and it's still time to watch them grow. You can order from various places online, like FL chams. They're located in Florida actually. Anyways, if you go to a store ask to hold the feller and see him eat first. If he has a weak grip then he's not doing well. Anyways, don't beat yourself up about your girl. Babies are just so fragile and places like Petco set them up for failure. Nothing you could have done, and you tried to help her. Just do all the future babies a solid and buy from good places like FL chams :) good luck

So due to work and real life. I was going to get him tomorrow but I will have to wait till the weekend sadly. The guy said they will be about 3 months and roughly three to four inches long. Does that sound about right? I also have the large repti breeze. I don't like the substrate it came with. I do plan on upgrading by building my own. "Already have plans but is their something better I could replace it with. On anyone else's opion?

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience with your first one.
I am down 2 babies, the last being from a chain store, and as in your case, after about a week she became very ill, was seeing a vet, being medicated, and still passed. I will never buy animals from a chain store again. Such heartbreak.

I am going with FL chams and will be looking to receive a juvi male on Friday morning, if things go to plan. I live in Wisconsin, so we don't have many or any local breeders for chameleons here, at least none I've seen

Back
Top Bottom