Beardie Depression

lyanlynn

I know this is probably not common, but after Grabby died my bearded dragon Licky seems a bit depressed. It reminds me of when my cat Katti died and my mom's little doggy got depressed. I kept telling everyone that he missed her, even though they didn't really like each other, and he was depressed, but they didn't listen. He died shortly after she did. He was old and I think he had cancer, but he went down hill fast once she was gone. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had ever seen this happen to their lizards. He was a little sappy this morning. He normally gets right up when he wakes up, instead he was awake still laying in the sand looking at me. Then, I got him out, gave him a few kisses and tried to feed him a grape. He normally eats them up, and he would even lick it. Then, I tried to give him a few meal worms. He eats them like candy now, but wouldn't even stare at them. I carried him around on my shirt for a little while. He didn't want to get down. After I put him up and when I came back in to check on him or just to watch some tv he was starring at Grabby's cage. Every time I looked at him he was starring at her cage. And a bit ago I turned out his light. He had already settled in and was near the corner closest to her cage and starring at it. He didn't interact with her much, but he saw her and they looked at each other through the cages. He seems really bummed.

Sounds like a trip to the vet is in order, as much as you hate to hear that. He sounds sick.

Sounds like a trip to the vet is in order, as much as you hate to hear that. He sounds sick.

Really? I don't think he is, and it's not the vet visit part this time. He's never acted this way, but then again he's never lost anyone similar to him. Perhaps he was smitten with her. He did eat a meal worm before I put him up last time. It was a fat, juicy one. Perhaps he just ate too many yesterday, I dunno. He kinda went over board when he had an all access pass to the missent box of worms. We'll see how he is tomorrow. Even when he wasn't feeling well earlier in his life he was spunky. I think he's sad.

You let him stuff himself with mealworms?! Has he been moving his back legs much? I know that beardies can get back leg paralysis from over feeding, too large of prey items, and impactions. What is his basking temperature? They need a high one around 100-110 degrees depending on age to properly digest food. You could try soaking him in chest deep warm water for a bit to help him hydrate and eliminate.

Mealworms are not a very good feeder and will cause impactions. I don't feed my beardie mealworms. The only thing that I ever buy small mealies for is for button quail treats. I would advise staying away from them.

Really? I don't think he is, and it's not the vet visit part this time. He's never acted this way, but then again he's never lost anyone similar to him. Perhaps he was smitten with her. He did eat a meal worm before I put him up last time. It was a fat, juicy one. Perhaps he just ate too many yesterday, I dunno. He kinda went over board when he had an all access pass to the missent box of worms. We'll see how he is tomorrow. Even when he wasn't feeling well earlier in his life he was spunky. I think he's sad.
I personally wouldn't take the chance, not after losing grabby, especially since beardie did climb around in grabbys cage, even if he's not sick now, he could later from parasites he may have gotten from her possibly, either way, if beardies never been to a vet, I would definanitly put it on my "to do list" here real shortly for beardies sake!

You let him stuff himself with mealworms?! Has he been moving his back legs much? I know that beardies can get back leg paralysis from over feeding, too large of prey items, and impactions. What is his basking temperature? They need a high one around 100-110 degrees depending on age to properly digest food. You could try soaking him in chest deep warm water for a bit to help him hydrate and eliminate.

Mealworms are not a very good feeder and will cause impactions. I don't feed my beardie mealworms. The only thing that I ever buy small mealies for is for button quail treats. I would advise staying away from them.

He was racing across my bed today when he was tired of starring at food he didn't want. He's moving everything just fine. I made sure he drank water this morning. It took him a minute, but he finally drank quite a bit. He chews his food up really well. I didn't let him eat the whole box, but he definitely ate quite a few. Those are all we have until the crickets come. I didn't order the meal worms, they were sent to me by mistake. I get to keep them and the crickets. I'll be glad when the crickets get here. He LOVES crickets. I wish they were here like the were suppose to be. We'll see how he is in the morning. Hopefully he'll be feeling a bit better. Again, I think he's sad.

1. He does not miss the chameleon.

2. Have you considered that he might be brumating?

3. Do you have a UVB light over him?

-Brad

I personally wouldn't take the chance, not after losing grabby, especially since beardie did climb around in grabbys cage, even if he's not sick now, he could later from parasites he may have gotten from her possibly, either way, if beardies never been to a vet, I would definanitly put it on my "to do list" here real shortly for beardies sake!

Agreed!

I also agree that he may possibly be brumating, but from the level of care you have shown, I think it may be best to take him to a vet to be sure. It is better safe than sorry. Also, I am sorry about the passing of Grabby. Do you plan on getting another chameleon?

Hi all! I woke up this morning and Licky was looking as normal! I think he just ate too much the night before. This morning he was up on his rock waiting for me to get up. And, when I picked him up he helped himself to a few phoenix worms and then a few meal worms. I had to keep him from diving into the phoenix container because he could see them moving and wanted them all! I pulled him away and put a few on my hand for him. Everything is good with my Licky. He was my second lizard and he's been the best lizard ever! He eats, drinks, poops, watches, runs, everything else he's suppose to normally. He just shed his head and his tail the other day, so he's a growing and happy boy. He's new to sand, but I think he enjoys it far more than I do.

Attachments

• Licky 001.jpg
    Licky 001.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Licky 002.jpg
    Licky 002.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Licky 003.jpg
    Licky 003.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Licky 004.jpg
    Licky 004.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 117
Brumation...I had totally heard that term before. I had just forgotten what it meant. He brumates when he's ready to sleep. He has never had a full out, it's winter, Imma sleep for days sort of brumation period. And, he wasn't starting. I apologize for thinking it meant being pregnant. I did a TON of research when I bought him and everything that was recommended was spot on. He's been a happy and healthy boy for a long time. When I was concerned about his loss of balance, I found out he wasn't shedding properly. So, he got his first bath! He didn't love it, but then he decided to sleep in his water dish that night. Go figure! It was so cute though. He ended up soaking all night and pretty soon shed the skin off of his front legs that was causing him so much difficulty. He is in the juvenile stage of his life and is just growing and growing and growing!

Sand, especially vita sand and calci sand products, causes massive impactions in beardies. Walnut shells do as well. The packages may say that they are fully digestible and safe; they are not. There are no regulations on pet products so they can say whatever they like.

I think that hulled provo millet is safe, but the best cage liner is a cut fitted piece of non adhesive shelf liner. You can make a couple and switch them out as they get dirty.

beardeddragon.org has a lot of info. Hope that helps! Photo is an xray of a very impacted beardie who was kept on calci sand. All the white is the sand. It is ingested and then forms hard clumps that are basically cement like.

impaction01.jpg

Here is how to make a neat piece of cage furniture for your beardie: http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-fake-rock-cavebasking-spot-for-a-reptile-c/

Sand, especially vita sand and calci sand products, causes massive impactions in beardies. Walnut shells do as well. The packages may say that they are fully digestible and safe; they are not. There are no regulations on pet products so they can say whatever they like.

I think that hulled provo millet is safe, but the best cage liner is a cut fitted piece of non adhesive shelf liner. You can make a couple and switch them out as they get dirty.

beardeddragon.org has a lot of info. Hope that helps! Photo is an xray of a very impacted beardie who was kept on calci sand. All the white is the sand. It is ingested and then forms hard clumps that are basically cement like.

impaction01.jpg

Here is how to make a neat piece of cage furniture for your beardie: http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-fake-rock-cavebasking-spot-for-a-reptile-c/

Wow! Thanks! I'll change him back to something else, like the liner you suggested. I can get cheap liner stuff at dollar tree and it won't do that to his tummy!!! I definitely don't want that to happen to him. Thanks for the rock link. That's a huge rock for a huge beardie. He's still a baby. Maybe I could make him a small one. :D

Wow! Thanks! I'll change him back to something else, like the liner you suggested. I can get cheap liner stuff at dollar tree and it won't do that to his tummy!!! I definitely don't want that to happen to him. Thanks for the rock link. That's a huge rock for a huge beardie. He's still a baby. Maybe I could make him a small one. :D

Glad to help. :)

You can even go cheaper than that and use Newspaper or Paper Towel. These have to be changed Daily, but there is always free newspaper kicking around.

I have had a beardie for almost 3 years now and he kicks ass. He has a cataract on one eye though so he can't see out of his left eye which sucks but the vet said there isn't much that can be done.

But for sure get rid of the sand. If you can afford it, instead of heat lights, get ceramic heat emitters, I have 2 of them in my Beardie's Cage and he loves it. I also have some Rocks that I cleaned off from outside and put them under the emitters so they are warm so he can lay on them and bask, it is kind of like a home made heat rock with no chance of burning his under belly.

DO NOT purchase a heat rock please, and if you have one get rid of it. Beardies do not have much feeling in their under belly so they can burn themselves on it and not even know. Also I believe this was mentioned stay away from crushed Walnut shells too they are not digestible. To put it bluntly...Car Mechanics use these to suck up oil and grease off the floor, so picture that in the belly of a beardie...not a pretty site.

You can even go cheaper than that and use Newspaper or Paper Towel. These have to be changed Daily, but there is always free newspaper kicking around.

I have had a beardie for almost 3 years now and he kicks ass. He has a cataract on one eye though so he can't see out of his left eye which sucks but the vet said there isn't much that can be done.

But for sure get rid of the sand. If you can afford it, instead of heat lights, get ceramic heat emitters, I have 2 of them in my Beardie's Cage and he loves it. I also have some Rocks that I cleaned off from outside and put them under the emitters so they are warm so he can lay on them and bask, it is kind of like a home made heat rock with no chance of burning his under belly.

DO NOT purchase a heat rock please, and if you have one get rid of it. Beardies do not have much feeling in their under belly so they can burn themselves on it and not even know. Also I believe this was mentioned stay away from crushed Walnut shells too they are not digestible. To put it bluntly...Car Mechanics use these to suck up oil and grease off the floor, so picture that in the belly of a beardie...not a pretty site.

Don't forget the UVB bulb! ReptiSun 10.0 at least- a MVB is good, too. Beardies need UVB badly.

Back
Top Bottom