Bearded Dragon!

KamaKamaChameleon!

Avid Member
I've saved for this! I'm getting a bearded dragon soon! So i have couple questions so i can get it set up.
What gallon tank??
Do these lights work for bearded dragons?

Can i feed they horn worms and food i have for my cham? What kind of fruits and veggies?
How do you supplement their calcium etc?
what watt lights for the bulbs? Can you do a free range area?
Where do i get them?
Ty you in advance!

There is a great bearded dragon group on Facebook called bearded dragon network that has files on everything you need to know. Having owned a BD for less than 6 months, I dont feel that I'm the best person to mentor anyone.

Viv can be something like the viv exotic range. I wouldn't go smaller than 4x2x2 feet unless you want to upgrade again later. We use a dessert substrate and have slate and stones plus vinewood. They love hammocks too.

Any good heat lamp will do but IT MUST HAVE A GAURD as they will climb on them, especially youngsters. Bear in mind high temps required for a dragon and make sure you get a 'high range' thermostat, as standards don't go high enough.

You need 12% UVB either t5 or t8 as well.

Feeders can be just about anything a cham will take. Usual gut loading and dusting with calcium. You can also add Ca sprinkled over the veggies but keep the Ca to every 2 days or so.

As for the vegies themselves, we get bags of mixed salad but also add to that with celery, peppers, watercress, rocket and occasional treats of a chopped strawberry, grape or similar. (Beardies with 'lipstick' after eating strawberry is funny).

Mix the food up to keep it interesting and you soon find what is preferred and what gets left.

As for free ranging, as said, they can climb really well so trying to use a rabbit run type of thing won't keep them in long. We just let our girl run about the lounge when we're there and she'll often climb our legs to go have a nap on our lap. Keep a close eye and block anywhere they can get under or into that would pose a danger or that you couldn't easily get them back.

Anything else you can think of then just shout up.

20190101_194610.jpg

@SharpShooter Hello! Would a glass tank with a screen top for ventilation work and if so what gallon of glass tank? and put the light on the top of the cage or at least hanging above it? and lights above work for it?
Do you use calcium sand for substrate?

As with most animals including reptiles, front opening doors are always best so you never approach them from above.

It's also much easier to clean and should provide airflow but still retain heat in the case of beardies and other dessert species.

There are plenty of dragon specific substrates available which also help in keeping claws in check.

If for any reason you can't provide the right environment for any animal, it would be far better to have a re think rather than providing sub optimal conditions that could cause any harm. Fish tanks are for fish!

The number of beardies in rescue centers is maddening, almost every one an adult who outgrew the ''temporary' enclosure the owner made do with when they were young. Commit to doing right or don't do it.

4' x 2' x2' = 120 gallons min. If you use an aquarium, then you need to mount the uvb (36" t5 ho linear 12% Arcadia or 10 reptisun) inside the mesh top with a reflector. Heat bulb can be outside. Aquariums are not recommended since front opening doors are preferred

Thanks can you link me too one of those type cages? Is mesh needed for ventilation?
The VivExotics have vents built in to provide airflow. I'm in the UK so not much point in providing links. Just search VivExotic. You can get just the enclosure without the unit below and they around £60, which I know doesn't help you either lol.

The VivExotics have vents built in to provide airflow. I'm in the UK so not much point in providing links. Just search VivExotic. You can get just the enclosure without the unit below and they around £60, which I know doesn't help you either lol.
Heheh i found a 24x18x18 is that large enough its okay if its not i just have save up for this hahah :ROFLMAO:

The Facebook group I shared with you earlier has tons of links for proper supplies. Animal plastics is where I got my cage made.

Back
Top Bottom