be honest

@james and other buggy people. We need a thread on how to keep our feeders in a bioactive bin. When I went to feed my banded crickets last night, their bin smelled like death! ?Took the egg flats out and odor gone.
You want to add a layer of sand and cuc it won’t get rid of the smell 100% but it will help control it

Note the dermestid beetle will fly if weather is warm
https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/dermestid-beetle-larvae/

Buffalo beetle
https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/buffalo-beetles/

Where do you get your crickets and what's the bin look like?
I get from Ghana’s. Giant Rubbermaid tote, most of the top is screened for ventilation and I put coco coir on the bottom (can’t find any vermiculite locally).I put the egg flats they come with in there and added a couple more.

I live in Alaska. Standard metrics are challenge to hit up here, but not impossible. I make it work and I have a healthy, happy chameleon. Get or make a hybrid cage with ventilated top and side/front and glass/acrylic/polycarb panels all the way around to make controlling humidity and temps easier.

Mold starts growing at a constant 60% Or higher humidity on walls. It doesn’t stink if you clean the cage daily/every other day. Have a humidifier on a timer near your cage so it doesn’t constantly stay over 60% and you should be fine. Cheers??

I live in Utah as well and have a variety of species. This may be met with some objection, but I really wouldn't worry about the humidity levels. I have found that trying to raise the humidity in the enclosure to match what it is in Florida or Hawaii leads to way more problems than it solves.
What you do need to worry about is getting enough water to your chameleon, and doing it safely. A combination of a drip system with live plants and a automated mister has worked very well for me with my Jacksons and Parsons. You want to make sure that everything drys out and that there is not any misting that occurs during the night.

I am not an expert, but I’ll tell you what I know. I live in Minnesota, so it’s a similar situation with ac in the summer and heat in the winter. What my local pet store employees told me is that I should get a glass exo terra tank. My understanding is that those tanks have good ventilation, but a normal fish tank does not. I could be completely wrong, but that’s just my understanding

I am not an expert, but I’ll tell you what I know. I live in Minnesota, so it’s a similar situation with ac in the summer and heat in the winter. What my local pet store employees told me is that I should get a glass exo terra tank. My understanding is that those tanks have good ventilation, but a normal fish tank does not. I could be completely wrong, but that’s just my understanding
If done correctly and bio active set up with the largest format in these glass cages then yes they can be used. They use the chimney effect for ventilation. They are smaller then the screen versions or hybrids though.

Back
Top Bottom