Baytril..

neonate

Hi all just wandered if anyone knows how effective baytril is? after speaking to a friend i suspected one of my chams had the early signs of MR and took it to the vet yesterday..although she didnt think it was MR she gave me the baytril anyway and told me to give 0.1 daily for two weeks...

does this sound right,

Thanks
jon

Unfortunately yes! Its way overused as a general 'cure all', and rather harsh drug at that.
Get a second opinion. :)

Cheers jo...when you say harsh..do you mean you wouldnt use it? i have also been told to use Avipro to replace gut bacteria.. Still not entirely sure if it is mouthrot...in the mornings the tip of his lipps are stuck together and become unstuck only when he aims and shoots for prey...there is no Cheesy substance you here people talk of only a faint brown line around the area spoken of.

has anyone experienced this before?

I mean given the same circumstances I wouldnt use it, with no definate diagnosis.
If it is diagnosed as such, Im sure there are better drugs suited to the job. If infection hasnt become internal/advanced, a topical treatment might be applied without the possible side effects of baytril.
'mouthrot' is a rather broad term, too often applied to any similar infection. Not every mouth problem is Mouthrot, otherwise known as Infectious Stomatitis.

I recommend having another vet take a look at your lizard, particularly if you are not confident to examin its mouth yourself.

You can read about mouthrot here

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=17+1831&aid=2385

read about Baytril here

http://www.chameleonnews.com/?page=article&id=25

Given in proper dosage, there are no known DIRECT side effects of Baytril itself, but there is an important indirect effect of treatment when you are not sure 1) If Baytril will attack the bacteria in question or 2) If it is a bacterial problem in the first place. The danger, of course, is that you are not treating the real problem and the real problem continues to grow while you have stop looking for it. Do not be satisfied that you have left the vet office with some sort of drug to give to your chameleon. Do everything in your power to make sure it is the right drug!

cheers :)

Last edited:
Thanks jo.. i have had a good look at the mouth myself and internaly i see nothing out of the ordinary, no swelling, puss or blistering.. so if it is mouth rot.. its in very early stages and therefor i dont feel happy giving the baytril if there is anything else i can do....?

Should i try using Tamodine on the area for a few days first?

thanks for the links.
jon

Without even seeing a pic of your lizard its a tough call mate. Is there an actual wound, skin damage or necrosis inside or out on your chams mouth.?
Anything your worried about, isnt feeding, rubbing its mouth etc?
If theres some kind of visible small wound, and assuming Tamodine is something containing iodine (betadine etc), that certainly wont hurt, applied with a cotton tip thingy, will stave off germs and bacteria yes.

Are sure its not just bug guts or something? :)

Thanks jo....i sure hope so lol.

He has a habit of chewing his branches from time to time ...possibly a cut from that i suppose.

Back
Top Bottom