Basking

Is this a better enclosure setup? I am going to get more vines when my local pet store opens tomorrow so he will have more room to hideView attachment 283540
Go read through everything I posted and the links I gave you. Hammocks are not recommended. THey get their nails caught in them but also Chameleons do not sit flat footed like other lizards. They Grip so having a hammock is an unnatural surface for them to attempt to hold on to.

Tyler it would be helpful if you could fill out a husbandry form so members can help you this can be found in the health section or someone could kindly link it . As mentioned that is not for chameleon but bearded dragon. Substrate at the bottom needs to go . Chameleons as mentioned a tree dwellers so need to have plenty of climbing space. You can start thinking ahead also as your enclosure is to small you need minimum 2x2x4.

Tyler it would be helpful if you could fill out a husbandry form so members can help you this can be found in the health section or someone could kindly link it . As mentioned that is not for chameleon but bearded dragon. Substrate at the bottom needs to go . Chameleons as mentioned a tree dwellers so need to have plenty of climbing space. You can start thinking ahead also as your enclosure is to small you need minimum 2x2x4.
I did it it posted on this thread

Chameleon info:
*veiled chameleon, male, pet store never told me his age, he’s been in my possession for a week now.
Handling: I don’t handle him at all yet but he does hand feed.
Feeding: he has a great appetite, the first day I got him he managed to get 6 crickets. he’s been hand feeding for about 3 days now. I feed him when I wake in the morning and usually eats about 4 crickets. I feed him when I get home from work around 5ish but he usually only eats 1 or sometimes 2. he is a little guy. He should be offered as much as he can eat at this age. I would throw like 15-20 small size insects in his feeder cup and let him eat as much as he wants, with a couple left as a snack throughout the day. He should be offered more than just crickets. You can also feed him roaches, flies, moths, silkworms, hornworms as treats same with waxworms and super worms. also, you need to be gut loading your insects so they are nutritious for your baby. i will attach a gut loading image and a recommended feeder image.
Supplement: I use repticalcium and I’ve only put it on 2 batches so far because I read to only do it 2 times a week. you should be using a calcium with NO D3 at every feeding, besides 2 times a month (I do the 1st and 15th) his food should be dusted with a multivitamin WITH D3.
Misting: sadly I’ve been hand misting because I haven’t had enough money to buy an automatic one. I mist his viv 3 times a day but not for long because it seems as if it scares him so I stop. Is there anything I can do abt this? do not mist him directly. He will get used to mistings. You ideally will be misting for 3-5 minutes in the morning before lights on. And 3-5 minutes in the evening after lights off.
Poop: His poop has been light brown with a white end

Cage:
My cage is a glass thrive cage that is 18in L x 18in w x 24in H this will need an upgrade. Be watchful for temps and humidity in a glass enclos6. I like to recommend screen enclosures to new keepers so it is easier to dry out. Your little dude will need a 2x2x4 foot enclosure sooner rather than later as they grow fast!
Lighting: I have 2 thrive 5.5” deep dome lamps with one as my UVB and the other as my heat lamp (50w bulb) you need to upgrade your lighting asap. No colored bulbs. You will need a T5HO long linear 5.0 or 6% bulb. I will link one in the end. Your highest branch will be 9 inches below this new bulb.
Temps: my day time temps are 75 at the bottoms and 80 degrees for basking at the top. His night time temps are usually around 70-72 degrees. day temps are good. His basking should be between 80-85 for a few hours a day. His nighttime needs a ssignificant drop in temps. It should cool down to at least 65 I'd say. Nighttime needs to be cooler so his humidi6can be higher.
Humidity: his daytime humidity stays in the low 50s and his nighttime humidity is usually in the low daytime humidity should be 30-50% and nighttime humidity can bump all the way up to 100% warm, dry days. Cool, moist nights.
Plants: he has 2 live plants and 3 fake ones. The live plants are an umbrella tree and a golden pothos. I recommend getting more live plants and taking out the fake plants. Get veiled tested safe plants because they have a tendency to eat their plants. Fake plants arent good because they can try eating them and become impacted.
cage location: his cage is located in the corner of my room away from high traffic areas. His cage is decently high off the ground and the top of his cage is about head level with me(I’m 6’1) . perfect
Location geographically: I live in wilmington nc near the ocean so it’s pretty humid here but we’ve had a bit of cold dry air for once so it’s been nice

Light:
https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-260...fixture+24&qid=1606874247&sprefix=t5ho&sr=8-3

chameleon-food.jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

Chameleon info:
*veiled chameleon, male, pet store never told me his age, he’s been in my possession for a week now.
Feeding: he has a great appetite, the first day I got him he managed to get 6 crickets. he’s been hand feeding for about 3 days now. I feed him when I wake in the morning and usually eats about 4 crickets. I feed him when I get home from work around 5ish but he usually only eats 1 or sometimes 2. he is a little guy. He should be offered as much as he can eat at this age. I would throw like 15-20 small size insects in his feeder cup and let him eat as much as he wants, with a couple left as a snack throughout the day. He should be offered more than just crickets. You can also feed him roaches, flies, moths, silkworms, hornworms as treats same with waxworms and super worms. also, you need to be gut loading your insects so they are nutritious for your baby. i will attach a gut loading image and a recommended feeder image.
Supplement: I use repticalcium and I’ve only put it on 2 batches so far because I read to only do it 2 times a week. you should be using a calcium with NO D3 at every feeding, besides 2 times a month (I do the 1st and 15th) his food should be dusted with a multivitamin WITH D3.
Misting: sadly I’ve been hand misting because I haven’t had enough money to buy an automatic one. I mist his viv 3 times a day but not for long because it seems as if it scares him so I stop. Is there anything I can do abt this? do not mist him directly. He will get used to mistings. You ideally will be misting for 3-5 minutes in the morning before lights on. And 3-5 minutes in the evening after lights off.

Cage:
My cage is a glass thrive cage that is 18in L x 18in w x 24in H this will need an upgrade. Be watchful for temps and humidity in a glass enclos6. I like to recommend screen enclosures to new keepers so it is easier to dry out. Your little dude will need a 2x2x4 foot enclosure sooner rather than later as they grow fast!
Lighting: I have 2 thrive 5.5” deep dome lamps with one as my UVB and the other as my heat lamp (50w bulb) you need to upgrade your lighting asap. No colored bulbs. You will need a T5HO long linear 5.0 or 6% bulb. I will link one in the end. Your highest branch will be 9 inches below this new bulb.
Temps: my day time temps are 75 at the bottoms and 80 degrees for basking at the top. His night time temps are usually around 70-72 degrees. day temps are good. His basking should be between 80-85 for a few hours a day. His nighttime needs a ssignificant drop in temps. It should cool down to at least 65 I'd say. Nighttime needs to be cooler so his humidi6can be higher.
Humidity: his daytime humidity stays in the low 50s and his nighttime humidity is usually in the low daytime humidity should be 30-50% and nighttime humidity can bump all the way up to 100% warm, dry days. Cool, moist nights.
Plants: he has 2 live plants and 3 fake ones. The live plants are an umbrella tree and a golden pothos. I recommend getting more live plants and taking out the fake plants. Get veiled tested safe plants because they have a tendency to eat their plants. Fake plants arent good because they can try eating them and become impacted.
cage location: his cage is located in the corner of my room away from high traffic areas. His cage is decently high off the ground and the top of his cage is about head level with me(I’m 6’1) . perfect
Location geographically: I live in wilmington nc near the ocean so it’s pretty humid here but we’ve had a bit of cold dry air for once so it’s been nice

Light:
https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-260...fixture+24&qid=1606874247&sprefix=t5ho&sr=8-3

View attachment 284088View attachment 284089
Thank you so much for the help!!!! I went ahead and ordered the light and I read up on how to set up the cage Forrest edge style and went ahead a did it. I am planning to purchase a 2x2x4 screened cage within the next 2 months. He’s pretty upset with me rn lol due to me re arranging his cage so I’m going to leave him alone for a while a see how he adjusts to it. Once again thank you so much

Chameleon info:

Cage:

Light:

View attachment 284088View attachment 284089
I’ve made most of the changes you recommended and Rango is doing so much better. He is still a little frightened to hand feed and of me in general but I know that part will come with time. He has finally started to show me some color other than when he is sleeping so ig he is starting to get used to his home. Thank you once again
B2325619-D853-4453-B3DF-98C15607825C.jpeg

I’ve made most of the changes you recommended and Rango is doing so much better. He is still a little frightened to hand feed and of me in general but I know that part will come with time. He has finally started to show me some color other than when he is sleeping so ig he is starting to get used to his home. Thank you once againView attachment 285078
How do you measure temps?

Hi Tyler those stick on analog aren't accurate enough you will want a digital thermo at least one would be a good start at the basking area. So this is mine I want this to read less than what I require to take into account the height of my girl a little bit less heat imo is better than to much .
20201210_191323.jpg

Hi Tyler those stick on analog aren't accurate enough you will want a digital thermo at least one would be a good start at the basking area. So this is mine I want this to read less than what I require to take into account the height of my girl a little bit less heat imo is better than to much . View attachment 285094
Okay will do any specific brand you would recommend? I’ll pick one up on my way home later

Many of us are using Govee they connect to app and track temp and humidity over time in a graph and can be exported. Look on amazon $13
Yea I use a govee mini but are they a good choice for basking area temp . I use mine for ambient temps and humidity. But use a wired probe for basking temp?

Yea I use a govee mini but are they a good choice for basking area temp . I use mine for ambient temps and humidity. But use a wired probe for basking temp?

It will monitor basking just fine. But placement will matter. I have found that , assuming standard cage set up, that the govee hangs below the branch, making it a few degrees lower than where his/her body will be. I have put mine on a stiff wire to get both readings. You will want to know that it is actually x degrees hotter in basking.

Note I said monitor. If you are using , or desire to control the heat it can do nothing. A thermostat will , which have the probes. So it depends what you need.

Back
Top Bottom