Basking

TylerG524

My Cham has been doing good finally have been getting him to hand feed. But I’ve noticed that he hasn’t been moving a lot and he’s been hanging out in the highest spot possible. I’ve only had him for about a week now so I’m sure he’s still just getting used to his new home but I just want to make sure nothing is wrong.
image.jpg

My Cham has been doing good finally have been getting him to hand feed. But I’ve noticed that he hasn’t been moving a lot and he’s been hanging out in the highest spot possible. I’ve only had him for about a week now so I’m sure he’s still just getting used to his new home but I just want to make sure nothing is wrong.View attachment 283308
Can you take a pic of your entire enclosure? What is the light on top of where he is? This is really really close and a thermal burn risk.

Hi and welcome and congrats with your new baby. Firstly the best place to start is by filling in a husbandry form which you can find in the health section. And add some photos of your complete enclosure. ?

Hello! I just want to point out that colored lights are not reccomended for chameleons. Which lights are you currently using?

I only use white (as I don't know so I'm only asking but would coloured light be bad for their eyesight) I always thought they would be so never used them ?

I only use white (as I don't know so I'm only asking but would coloured light be bad for their eyesight) I always thought they would be so never used them ?

They can see in a different spectrum that us. Weather it is annoying or harmful, I don't know if there is actual evidence.

When all is said and done. They do not need heat at all at night, they like cold nights with high humidity.
Daytime colored light are a waste. By this I mean they add no benefit other than heat, which the need very little of. Chams like their light, not just UVB. So best choice is just normal white lights. They will also show off your chams colors much better.

My Cham has been doing good finally have been getting him to hand feed. But I’ve noticed that he hasn’t been moving a lot and he’s been hanging out in the highest spot possible. I’ve only had him for about a week now so I’m sure he’s still just getting used to his new home but I just want to make sure nothing is wrong.View attachment 283308
Chameleon info:
*veiled chameleon, male, pet store never told me his age, he’s been in my possession for a week now.
Handling: I don’t handle him at all yet but he does hand feed.
Feeding: he has a great appetite, the first day I got him he managed to get 6 crickets. he’s been hand feeding for about 3 days now. I feed him when I wake in the morning and usually eats about 4 crickets. I feed him when I get home from work around 5ish but he usually only eats 1 or sometimes 2.
Supplement: I use repticalcium and I’ve only put it on 2 batches so far because I read to only do it 2 times a week.
Misting: sadly I’ve been hand misting because I haven’t had enough money to buy an automatic one. I mist his viv 3 times a day but not for long because it seems as if it scares him so I stop. Is there anything I can do abt this?
Poop: His poop has been light brown with a white end

Cage:
My cage is a glass thrive cage that is 18in L x 18in w x 24in H
Lighting: I have 2 thrive 5.5” deep dome lamps with one as my UVB and the other as my heat lamp (50w bulb)
Temps: my day time temps are 75 at the bottoms and 80 degrees for basking at the top. His night time temps are usually around 70-72 degrees.
Humidity: his daytime humidity stays in the low 50s and his nighttime humidity is usually in the low 70s.
Plants: he has 2 live plants and 3 fake ones. The live plants are an umbrella tree and a golden pothos.
cage location: his cage is located in the corner of my room away from high traffic areas. His cage is decently high off the ground and the top of his cage is about head level with me(I’m 6’1) .
Location geographically: I live in wilmington nc near the ocean so it’s pretty humid here but we’ve had a bit of cold dry air for once so it’s been nice

Chameleon info:
*veiled chameleon, male, pet store never told me his age, he’s been in my possession for a week now.
Handling: I don’t handle him at all yet but he does hand feed.
Feeding: he has a great appetite, the first day I got him he managed to get 6 crickets. he’s been hand feeding for about 3 days now. I feed him when I wake in the morning and usually eats about 4 crickets. I feed him when I get home from work around 5ish but he usually only eats 1 or sometimes 2.
Supplement: I use repticalcium and I’ve only put it on 2 batches so far because I read to only do it 2 times a week.
Misting: sadly I’ve been hand misting because I haven’t had enough money to buy an automatic one. I mist his viv 3 times a day but not for long because it seems as if it scares him so I stop. Is there anything I can do abt this?
Poop: His poop has been light brown with a white end

Cage:
My cage is a glass thrive cage that is 18in L x 18in w x 24in H
Lighting: I have 2 thrive 5.5” deep dome lamps with one as my UVB and the other as my heat lamp (50w bulb)
Temps: my day time temps are 75 at the bottoms and 80 degrees for basking at the top. His night time temps are usually around 70-72 degrees.
Humidity: his daytime humidity stays in the low 50s and his nighttime humidity is usually in the low 70s.
Plants: he has 2 live plants and 3 fake ones. The live plants are an umbrella tree and a golden pothos.
cage location: his cage is located in the corner of my room away from high traffic areas. His cage is decently high off the ground and the top of his cage is about head level with me(I’m 6’1) .
Location geographically: I live in wilmington nc near the ocean so it’s pretty humid here but we’ve had a bit of cold dry air for once so it’s been nice
2CBF0220-C7FE-421D-8A31-5E5B9E7D3E4F.jpeg
image.jpg

Hi and welcome firstly you will want to change your uvb to a t5h0 linear fixture like a reptisun 5%or arcadia 6%. And your basking light to a incandescent light (white ) to achieve your basking temp. The minimum size enclosure for a chameleon is 2x2x4. There is not really enough place's for your little guy to climb or hide to feel safe so maybe a pothos and ficus.

@TylerG524
This enclosure is not set up properly for a chameleon. They need height because they are arboreal lizards.. You need to remove all that dirt it is an impaction risk and a bacteria breeding ground since it is not fully bio active. Or convert it to a proper bio active enclosure... The cham is displaying extremely stressed colors. The crickets are far too large for it. you want small sized only.

You need to start reading on how and what to provide. Start reading through every single module in this husbandry program. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Then read this one https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

This is extremely important that you learn fast and make changes quickly or the chameleon will get sick and die.

Additional resources on a proper bio active enclosure.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/blog/bio-active-vivaria.40647/

Once you read through everything, do the husbandry form again. You will know what your not doing correctly from supplementing to the enclosure. But we can not teach you every aspect that you need to have an understanding of the way the husbandry program can.

@TylerG524
This enclosure is not set up properly for a chameleon. They need height because they are arboreal lizards.. You need to remove all that dirt it is an impaction risk and a bacteria breeding ground since it is not fully bio active. Or convert it to a proper bio active enclosure... The cham is displaying extremely stressed colors. The crickets are far too large for it. you want small sized only.

You need to start reading on how and what to provide. Start reading through every single module in this husbandry program. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Then read this one https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

This is extremely important that you learn fast and make changes quickly or the chameleon will get sick and die.

Additional resources on a proper bio active enclosure.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/blog/bio-active-vivaria.40647/

Once you read through everything, do the husbandry form again. You will know what your not doing correctly from supplementing to the enclosure. But we can not teach you every aspect that you need to have an understanding of the way the husbandry program can.
Is this a better enclosure setup? I am going to get more vines when my local pet store opens tomorrow so he will have more room to hide
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom