basking temperature question

goosay

When measuring your basking temp, are you guys measuring surface temp or ambient temperature up there?
I had my temperature reader (govee) literally zip-tied to the basking branch and got a reading of 82 degrees...and assumed that was perfect (for my juvenile panther). Then I moved it to a more secure and shaded area (no direct heat) about 2.5 inches down and now am getting 79 degrees. Is that a more accurate number that I should be going off of? Should I try to get that number up to ~82 even though that will probably raise my basking surface temp to around 85/86 degrees?

Curious what you guys do to get the most accurate basking temperature readings

thanks!

Hi there so you want your warmest area to be your basking... That should be set for the cham based on age and species. As you move away from this area it will drop slowly. I have a 10 degree difference between basking branch and mid level of the enclosure.

If you have a wired in probe on the basking branch and that is reading say 80 degrees then as you move up off the branch its going to get warmer. So you should account for that. This is when I found measuring surface temp to be helpful because I would actually measure the reading on my chams casque and top of back. I find that I get a 3-4 degree difference from branch to where my cham actually rises into the heat. I have a dimming thermostat that is connected to my basking lamp. I have it set at 83. So my basking temp runs about 86-87. That is as warm as my boy likes it.

Now if you do not have a dimming thermostat hooked up. You need to account for ambient temps. If they are hotter then your basking temps are going to be hotter because your lamp still puts out the same heat. If it is colder then your basking temps are going to drop a bit because the ambient temp is cooler in the house. And honestly this is why I bought the dimming thermostat It consistently measures the temps on the basking branch and dims down or dims up based on them. Takes the guess work out of it along with constant worrying.

Hi there so you want your warmest area to be your basking... That should be set for the cham based on age and species. As you move away from this area it will drop slowly. I have a 10 degree difference between basking branch and mid level of the enclosure.

If you have a wired in probe on the basking branch and that is reading say 80 degrees then as you move up off the branch its going to get warmer. So you should account for that. This is when I found measuring surface temp to be helpful because I would actually measure the reading on my chams casque and top of back. I find that I get a 3-4 degree difference from branch to where my cham actually rises into the heat. I have a dimming thermostat that is connected to my basking lamp. I have it set at 83. So my basking temp runs about 86-87. That is as warm as my boy likes it.

Now if you do not have a dimming thermostat hooked up. You need to account for ambient temps. If they are hotter then your basking temps are going to be hotter because your lamp still puts out the same heat. If it is colder then your basking temps are going to drop a bit because the ambient temp is cooler in the house. And honestly this is why I bought the dimming thermostat It consistently measures the temps on the basking branch and dims down or dims up based on them. Takes the guess work out of it along with constant worrying.

Gotcha.
In my situation, I'm about to receive an 3 month old panther.. Its said that 82 degrees basking is ideal for them. I sadly don't have a dimming thermostat, (100% going to get one though). Is that 82 what I should look for as the reading on my Cham's back when he's basking? or should 82 be the ambient temperature around the basking spot & the reading on my chams back should be a few degrees higher? Right now I have an ambient temp of 82 around it, but placed a probe where his body would be (about two inches above the basking) and am getting a reading of 85 degrees. Is that too hot for the young fella?

Gotcha.
In my situation, I'm about to receive an 3 month old panther.. Its said that 82 degrees basking is ideal for them. I sadly don't have a dimming thermostat, (100% going to get one though). Is that 82 what I should look for as the reading on my Cham's back when he's basking? or should 82 be the ambient temperature around the basking spot & the reading on my chams back should be a few degrees higher? Right now I have an ambient temp of 82 around it, but placed a probe where his body would be (about two inches above the basking) and am getting a reading of 85 degrees. Is that too hot for the young fella?
So you would being looking for 78-79 on the branch right below the heat lamp for a 3 month old. Should hit at about 80 an inch higher where the baby will be. He is going to be quite small so at three months should only rise off the branch about an inch. 82 is really the high end of basking for a baby panther. 85 would be much to warm.

I have a herpstat dimming thermostat. I highly recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom