Temperature gradient

lurker9090

Hey guys, so I have a 4 month old panther chameleon. I was just wondering what the temperature gradient should be at the bottom, middle, and top/basking area? Currently where is back is in the basking area gets to 81F, im just wondering what temps I should aim for in bottom and middle

Thanks!

Last edited:
My guys usually runs 72 -74 at the bottom and around 76 upper mid way give or take a degree ish. My cages are all screen though, not sure if your are as well.

You sure its only 4 months old? That is very young to be sold.

Till about 9-10 months old, they dont get a basking light. Basking lights are for sub adults on up, unless its a very cool room (like gets into the 50's at night)

Top range of lower 80s (AIR not basking temp) seems ideal for a baby, if the bottom of the cage is 'room temp" and room temp is in the lower 70s/upper 60's.

What we dont want is basking at 90-95(still fine for an adult), and lowest cage of just 80(which is too hot for even an adult).

My crew will start heading to the bottom of the cages once room temp reaches mid 80's from the heat of the day. I will even turn off the lights from say 10 till 2 to keep the upper air temp below 90.

At the extreme other end, you can keep them at 50f, as long as you have a good upper area to get into the 65-70F range and a good basking setup to pop them into the lower 80's. Then they will just wander between them throughout the day as needed.

Hey guys, so I have a 4 month old panther chameleon. I was just wondering what the temperature gradient should be at the bottom, middle, and top/basking area? Currently where is back is in the basking area gets to 81F, im just wondering what temps I should aim for in bottom and middle

Thanks!
My Panther will be 5 months on Sept 9. His temps are typically something like this

Basking 79-81f (I keep his basking light set to 80f and it's double checked with another thermometer)

All other areas are typically 71-73f regardless if it's higher or lower in his enclosure. At these temps my Panther seems to be doing really well and spends 95% of his day on top of the enclosure, out in the open. It's not typically until his "day" is over and he goes down to his resting area that he bothers going down there. Unless he's "exploring", which even that he will do but then go right back up.

I keep my home air conditioned to 73f during the day. At 12am I have my AC bring temps down to 71f, which brings ALL temps in his enclosure to the low-mid 60s so we can safely run the fogger 1am - 6am. Then at 6:30 my AC will allow temps to go back up to 73 in my house, bringing his temps back into the 70s.

Edit: Looking at my temp logs now to double check myself (I use bluetooth sensors for temps/humidity) and it looks like my gradient temps are more like 70-73, except for on the top. That's where it's around 71-75 (basking ~80f).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom