Basking dome fitting confusion! :)

Katy52

Hi guys! :)

Three simple questions about basking domes that I can’t find the answer to anywhere - apologies if I’m asking something obvious! Loads of info out there about bulbs but not much on what qualifies a ‘standard dome fitting’ so I’ve got confused!

In regard to a single dome for basking with a 75W incandescent bulb:

- should it be white inside or reflective? Or either?

- should it be ‘deep dome’ or regular?

- should it be 5” or 8” wide?

Thank you!!

(My enclosure is large reptibreeze 45X45x90 with a Arcadia T5 linear 6% for UVB - for an adult nosey be panther)

-I prefer reflective, but it’s my personal preference. I’ve used both with success
-depends on if the bulb will fit
-depends on if the bulb will fit

Is your cham a female or male?

I have the reflective double deep dome and use two 40 watt incandescent bulbs. They work great to get a basking of 78 degrees at the branch and about 80 degrees 3” above the branch.

I prefer the reflective. I use the 5 inch but that is because I need them smaller to hang them with the exo terra light bracket. Also I found 8 inches is a bit more room then I want to take up on my enclosure. Deep domes are night because it pulls the bulb farther away from the screen. Just pay attention to how much floor to ceiling room you have. You do not want the top of the dome touching the ceiling either lol.

Hi guys! :)

Three simple questions about basking domes that I can’t find the answer to anywhere - apologies if I’m asking something obvious! Loads of info out there about bulbs but not much on what qualifies a ‘standard dome fitting’ so I’ve got confused!

In regard to a single dome for basking with a 75W incandescent bulb:

- should it be white inside or reflective? Or either?

- should it be ‘deep dome’ or regular?

- should it be 5” or 8” wide?

Thank you!!

(My enclosure is large reptibreeze 45X45x90 with a Arcadia T5 linear 6% for UVB - for an adult nosey be panther)
The difference between domes is minimal, and can be adjusted for by changing the distance and/or angle. Personally, I prefer 8½" clamp lights because of their versatility in mounting & aiming.
1622143260441.png
I also prefer mounting basking lights at an angle to provide a gradient, and clamp lights are well-suited to this purpose.
1622143374147.png
That said, your enclosure is too small for an adult panther. The recommended minimum size is 24" x 24" x 48"H (60cm x 60cm x 120cm).

I prefer the reflective. I use the 5 inch but that is because I need them smaller to hang them with the exo terra light bracket. Also I found 8 inches is a bit more room then I want to take up on my enclosure. Deep domes are night because it pulls the bulb farther away from the screen. Just pay attention to how much floor to ceiling room you have. You do not want the top of the dome touching the ceiling either lol.
Thank you so much! Yes the ceiling could be an issue haha. From what I can gather, the higher the lights are from the screen the more the top area of the enclosure can be used by the Cham? Is that generally correct? If so I will definitely invest in light brackets to raise them a bit :)

The difference between domes is minimal, and can be adjusted for by changing the distance and/or angle. Personally, I prefer 8½" clamp lights because of their versatility in mounting & aiming.
I also prefer mounting basking lights at an angle to provide a gradient, and clamp lights are well-suited to this purpose.
That said, your enclosure is too small for an adult panther. The recommended minimum size is 24" x 24" x 48"H (60cm x 60cm x 120cm).
Thank you so much for the info! I will order a clamp one for the flexibility.

Yea his enclosure is small, he’s a 2 year rescue that I got this month and he’s been raised in all the wrong conditions and wrong diet (I really do mean all the wrong things). Poor guy! I’m in the process of rehabbing him and enclosure size is next on the list of things to fix :)

Thank you so much! Yes the ceiling could be an issue haha. From what I can gather, the higher the lights are from the screen the more the top area of the enclosure can be used by the Cham? Is that generally correct? If so I will definitely invest in light brackets to raise them a bit :)
True with basking... You want it raised at least a few inches off the top because it creates a wider basking area. Also if you angle it toward the UVB light then they can bask and get both.

This is what I did with the heat fixture. I do not raise my uvb because my distance to basking is correct for the fixture and bulb strength. Using the exo terra lamp bracket... Taking and pre drilling two holes in the mounting plate and using 1/4 inch stainless steal screws. I am able to adjust it up or down and angle it with the lamp clamp.

basking hooked in1.JPG basking hooked in2.JPG basking hooked in3.JPG

I was just looking at the exo terra brackets! Thank you for taking the time to attach some photos, that’s really helpful, makes it a lot easier to understand the fixtures :)

Why two bulbs instead of one?
The dual fixture came with the chameleon kit. I essentially threw out everything from the chameleon kit but kept the dual light fixture. I threw out the UVB bulb they gave me and replaced it with a lower wattage incandescent bulb. I now have two basking bulbs rather than one. I have read (on the forums) that a single higher wattage bulb situated at an angle will do a good job spreading the heat and light over a greater area than if you just point it straight down. I like using my two bulb fixture for the same reason, to spread light and warmth over a larger area. I also have the two bulbs on separate timers and the one goes on half an hour after the other. In theory it’s more of a natural and gradual way for my Cham to start her day by having the light and warmth slowly increase. UVB on first, then basking light one, then basking light two.

Last edited:
In theory it’s more of a natural and gradual way for my Cham to start her day by having the light and warmth slowly increase. UVB on first, then basking light one, then basking light two.
"In theory" the UVB should come on last and go off first. Earth's atmosphere is pretty good at filtering UV rays. When the sun is low in the sky (i.e. morning and evening) very little—if any—UV gets through; this can be verified with a meter. Reptiles don't usually bask during those fringe hours either. Having the UV on for a shorter period can also extend the life of the bulb considerably.

"In theory" the UVB should come on last and go off first. Earth's atmosphere is pretty good at filtering UV rays. When the sun is low in the sky (i.e. morning and evening) very little—if any—UV gets through; this can be verified with a meter. Reptiles don't usually bask during those fringe hours either. Having the UV on for a shorter period can also extend the life of the bulb considerably.
Good point about saving the bulb life. Thanks Klyde.

Back
Top Bottom