Basking bulb?

Depending on your fixture and if it can be raised and lowered or dimmed. I like the dimmable ceramic fixtures so I don’t have to reposition it to adjust the temperature. Most people will recommend 45-65 watt bulb, if you can dim it you can use the 100w on a lower setting, but if you get the 25 and it’s not enough you will have to buy another bulb. Just make sure you are checking the temps and at the highest point of your chameleons head/back whichever’s higher. And make sure your bulb is compatible with dimmers too, they usually are but just in case cause some are not. Good luck! ☺️

Depending on your fixture and if it can be raised and lowered or dimmed. I like the dimmable ceramic fixtures so I don’t have to reposition it to adjust the temperature. Most people will recommend 45-65 watt bulb, if you can dim it you can use the 100w on a lower setting, but if you get the 25 and it’s not enough you will have to buy another bulb. Just make sure you are checking the temps and at the highest point of your chameleons head/back whichever’s higher. And make sure your bulb is compatible with dimmers too, they usually are but just in case cause some are not. Good luck! ☺️
Thanks. Just making sure will THIS fixture do?

Just another quick question: should I buy a separate basking bulb and uvb or is it okay to go with a basking/uvb combo bulb?

Yes that’s the one I use and I love it. Umm, for your uvb you will want the t5 linear tube bulbs, I know they are not as cute but the uvb is only effective in a tiny area of the compact style bulbs. I would highly advise against those. If that’s what you have rn then you will want to listen to the Chameleon Academy podcast on making the chameleon kit work until you can get the t5HO linear either Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%

But I’m really glad you asked! Your chameleon will be soo happy with the right uvb trust me, mine stayed there the whole day that first day I put it up!😊

Yes that’s the one I use and I love it. Umm, for your uvb you will want the t5 linear tube bulbs, I know they are not as cute but the uvb is only effective in a tiny area of the compact style bulbs. I would highly advise against those. If that’s what you have rn then you will want to listen to the Chameleon Academy podcast on making the chameleon kit work until you can get the t5HO linear either Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%

But I’m really glad you asked! Your chameleon will be soo happy with the right uvb trust me, mine stayed there the whole day that first day I put it up!😊
How long should the uvb bulb and hood be? I have a 2x2x4 enclosure? And how should the uvb be placed?diagonally? On top of the terrarium?or top inside of it?thanks.

How long should the uvb bulb and fixture be? I have a 2x2x4 enclosure? And how should the uvb be placed?diagonally? On top of the terrarium?or top inside of it?thanks.

Yes that’s the one I use and I love it. Umm, for your uvb you will want the t5 linear tube bulbs, I know they are not as cute but the uvb is only effective in a tiny area of the compact style bulbs. I would highly advise against those. If that’s what you have rn then you will want to listen to the Chameleon Academy podcast on making the chameleon kit work until you can get the t5HO linear either Reptisun 5.0 or A
It should at least a 24 inch fixture with a 22 inch bulb straight across or a 36 inch fixture with a 34 inch bulb. Hanging above the cage is BEST but can be placed on top, but that gives you less usable space in the upper area to keep the correct distance.

It should at least a 24 inch fixture with a 22 inch bulb straight across or a 36 inch fixture with a 34 inch bulb. Hanging above the cage is BEST but can be placed on top, but that gives you less usable space in the upper area to keep the correct distance.
Great questions! Your chameleon is lucky to have such a thorough and caring owner!

Hello which basking bulb would you go with for a Jacksons Chammy? Basking #1, Basking #2 or Basking #3
For the basking bulb should I go with a ceramic fixture?
Also I have a Zen Habitats 2x2x4 enclosure. thanks.peace
None of the above. IMO the best basking bulbs are good old-fashioned power-sucking household incandescent (not LED) bulbs. They're generally less expensive—and last longer—than specialty reptile bulbs. Another option is an incandescent or halogen flood (NOT spot).

Wattage will depend on a number of variables, so it's usually a matter of trial & error to find the best wattage, distance, and angle for your enclosure. You may have to try some different wattages—generally in the 40W to 100W range. After the bulb has been heating up a while, put your hand on the screen beneath it (from inside the enclosure). If you can't keep your hand there, it's too hot, and you'll have to raise the bulb or try a lower wattage.

I also recommend mounting basking bulbs at an angle to provide a gradient of basking temperatures; the cham will seek out what s/he wants.

Ceramic fixture is fine—so are domes. As long as the fixture is rated for the wattage of bulb.

Great enclosure! (y)(y)

Just another quick question: should I buy a separate basking bulb and uvb or is it okay to go with a basking/uvb combo bulb?
Separate. The UVB should be a linear T5 fluorescent—no compacts.

How long should the uvb bulb and hood be? I have a 2x2x4 enclosure? And how should the uvb be placed?diagonally? On top of the terrarium?or top inside of it?
Nominal 24" Side to side or diagonal is fine. On top of the screen or the cham will try to climb on it.
I support mine with small blocks of wood.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/simple-uvb-fixture-supports.177896/

None of the above. IMO the best basking bulbs are good old-fashioned power-sucking household incandescent (not LED) bulbs. They're generally less expensive—and last longer—than specialty reptile bulbs. Another option is an incandescent or halogen flood (NOT spot).
So go with a standard incandescent bulb? I’m not really worried about price for the right bulb.thanks much.

i just got back from the hardware store and bought these. Which one would you go with?
5FD8F5FB-61FA-4578-A405-8CF0C0C8A176.jpeg

You could use either if you’re getting the dimmable lamp. What is your ambient temperature in the cage without the heat bulb? If it’s really cold you may want the option of using over 75w. You might like the CaskAbove.com website’s complete shopping list. It’ll help if you have any more shopping questions. ☺️

Yes. Make sure it’s the same length as your cage or 12” longer. And I would raise it above your cage. A uvb meter would be great to help you determine the exact distance but mine is a 10.0 hanging about 6-7 inches above cage and 3-4 inches below the top of her back at basking. You will need about 10” distance between the Cham and the light with the screen between 😉 Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom