BASKING BULB TIME?

lthrbecks

Established Member
How long should i leave my basking light on? Would 12hrs be suitable, the same as both the UVB and LED Bar?

I have a heat mat, which apparently I don't need and that the basking light is sufficient for my chameleon. If this is the case, can I therefore, do away with the thermostat?

The newest news, is to keep them on 1-2 hours in the morning, and 1-2 hours before they go to bed.

But the bigger question is how hot is the air? If its in the upper 60's (20c) at least, you dont need a heat pad.

Since i live in england during the winter i usually have them on all day but anytime else i keep it on for a few hrs in the morining and then like a few more hrs in the evening. Right now its hot and sunny the heat bulb is off but the basking spot is still 82f currently. My chams are outside free ranging rn

Well, I'm in Northern Ireland, just across the sea. Its a damp and gloomy day here right now. The current viv temp is 31°C. He's casting right now. I noticed a nice white urate this morning but no poo. Is this normal?

Well, I'm in Northern Ireland, just across the sea. Its a damp and gloomy day here right now. The current viv temp is 31°C. He's casting right now. I noticed a nice white urate this morning but no poo. Is this normal?
31 is a bit high. raise the heat lamp if you can. I always turn it off if it ever exceeds 30. i like my temps to hover from 25-30c (77-86f)

I've raised it up! You don't really know what to do, for the best. I've read that veiled cams like up to 35°C ??

Cheers Mark

I've raised it up! You don't really know what to do, for the best. I've read that veiled cams like up to 35°C ??

Cheers Mark
yup veileds will fry in multiple hrs of 30+. youtube and just google is a great place to get misinformed. If it was this forum that said 35c, then we have some problems.

Where did you read this, If you don't mind me asking

During the day, the cool area should be between 70 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit (21 to 27 Celsius), while the warm area should be between 80 and 85 F (27 to 29 C) for Jackson’s Chameleons, or 90 and 100 F (32 to 38 C) for Veiled Chameleons. Track the temperature of both areas of the habitat with separate thermometers.

Petsmart.com

During the day, the cool area should be between 70 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit (21 to 27 Celsius), while the warm area should be between 80 and 85 F (27 to 29 C) for Jackson’s Chameleons, or 90 and 100 F (32 to 38 C) for Veiled Chameleons. Track the temperature of both areas of the habitat with separate thermometers.

Petsmart.com
*sigh* as you may know, petco and petsmart know absolutely nothing about chameleons

everyone just thinks that veileds should be kept at high temps since theyre from yemen but what people actually dont know is that they live in the elevated mountains that sits in clouds and dense fog. This is why they are jungle animals, not desert animals.

I thought they were desert animals when I bought him. Just because they were from the Yemen and Saudi Arabia.

Where are you living now if I may ask. I'm very well travelled and have an interest in countries.

I thought they were desert animals when I bought him. Just because they were from the Yemen and Saudi Arabia.

Where are you living now if I may ask. I'm very well travelled and have an interest in countries.
england. yes all the pet store chains see the word "yemen" and instantly think "desert animal=high temps."

Back
Top Bottom