Basic reptarium vs Heat lamp

i keep my 75w heat lamps bout 2-3 inches above the mesh and have not had any burning issues in mid winter i had a 100w lamp in at about 4 inches above and didn't have ne burning either slight discoloration and fading but thats all. If u were to put the lamp directly on top of the mesh i would suspect that it would probably burn tho.

I have used up to 75 watt lightbulbs in regular clamp lamps that keep the bulb at least 2" away and have never had melting issues. I generally use 60 watts, and have for years, and the top does get discolored from the bulbs.

I use 75 and lower over them with the dome resting right on the mesh.
I *think* I once had a problem with a 100 w like this years ago, so I never use more than the 75 as a precaution (I never need to anyway). The actual resting edge of the domes are not hot, and the bulb does not touch the mesh directly- there is probably an inch or two of clearance.

I sometimes use smaller domes with only 60w bulbs in them.

I have a lot of reptariums- I have dozens with bulbs over them during the winter.

i currently have 2 reptariums, both with 60W bulbs in a clamp lamp that rests directly on the mesh...i have never had a problem...my friend was running a 100W bulb on his and i did notice a slight discoloration where the clam lamp was resting, but i just told him to lower the wattage and it should be fine

Thank you guys a lot for your input. I could have tested this with trial and error but It's so cool to have a site that you can ask people questions like this and get reliable information. I have 3 aluminum screen cages that never move but the one mesh one we're talking about that I only use to take the guys outside in the summer with. I'm new to this site and I'm thinking now.. what's taken me so long to find this place! I don't even know any other Cham owners where I live!

I use 75 and lower over them with the dome resting right on the mesh.
I *think* I once had a problem with a 100 w like this years ago, so I never use more than the 75 as a precaution (I never need to anyway). The actual resting edge of the domes are not hot, and the bulb does not touch the mesh directly- there is probably an inch or two of clearance.

I sometimes use smaller domes with only 60w bulbs in them.

I have a lot of reptariums- I have dozens with bulbs over them during the winter.

Woa!! you do have a lot of reptariums! I just looked at your pictures!

Say.. Do you know where I can find an orange bodied ambilobe Male like yours in the picture?

Back
Top Bottom