Banana Roach Question

FlChamMom

Avid Member
I am attempting to start a colony of green banana roaches for my picky eater. My question is: Can the colony be kept outdoors in a covered area during the hotter months? The whole idea of an indoor roach colony is freaking me out a little. I am in North Florida- temps have been in the high 80's low 90's.

Well, green banana roach won't breed or even survive if they escape (unless it's hot and humid), so you don't need to worry about them infesting your house.

Green Banana Roaches are adorable! If any ever escape, they just dry up and die in about two or three days. They require very high humidity. If you keep them outside, I am sure their habitat will attract too many unwanted guests.

Deb

They will do fine outdoors and at the temps you list, although I would not keep them in direct sun. Under the patio would be great. I imagine that your humidity is mine like mine (S. Louisiana) so there is not much need to provide humidity although I do spray down the tubs I breed mine in once a week to keep the soil somewhat moist (NOT WET)!!

Hope that helps. Oh, and the FLY!! So be aware! ;)

Thanks everyone for the info! Living in Florida we know all about the phenomena of the Flying Roach- having a few hundred of the suckers in the house has me a little creeped out! Granted crickets used to creep me out too...

I am attempting to start a colony of green banana roaches for my picky eater. My question is: Can the colony be kept outdoors in a covered area during the hotter months? The whole idea of an indoor roach colony is freaking me out a little. I am in North Florida- temps have been in the high 80's low 90's.

I keep my colony outside, and I live in Northeast Florida. I keep them in a shaded area, and they seem to be doing good. I've seen nymphs crawling around in there. I do take a spray bottle every couple of days to dampen the soil/moss mix, but other than that, they are really low maintenance.

The key to keeping them is to make sure you come up with a very tight top lid setup. They can get through very small places, and as stated, they do fly. During the day you can open the top without issue. They are nocturnal, so you shouldn't have any problems maintaining them during normal day hours. :)

They're originally from cuba, right? So Florida should be right on the money for an outside enclosure :p If I can remember right, they're heavily dependent on vegetation for food, so they will not do well inside if they escape and will even attempt to find a way outside

they do skitter like crazy, fly, and have prickly legs though

Back
Top Bottom