Bamboo safe?

chameleoman

Avid Member
Is this bamboo safe? Have tons of them in my yard.

Attachments

• WP_20130917_002.jpg
    WP_20130917_002.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 134
  • WP_20130917_003.jpg
    WP_20130917_003.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 143
I don't think they're safe but I'm not sure.

Ive read bamboo is safe but I'm curious for this one in particular. I had it in my pygmy cage and they did fine. I would like to put it in my new females cage as she has no leaf coverage right now.

They are safe although some species of bamboo are hard for the chams to grip because of the smooth surface.

Bamboo (Bambusae ssp.) contains cyanogenic glycosides. They're splitted enzymatically inside stomach, which produces prussic acid and therefore harms the animal. So if you're chameleon's used to eat leaves, I would better choose completely non-toxic plants. If your chameleon doesn't eat any plants, great.

Bamboo (Bambusae ssp.) contains cyanogenic glycosides. They're splitted enzymatically inside stomach, which produces prussic acid and therefore harms the animal. So if you're chameleon's used to eat leaves, I would better choose completely non-toxic plants. If your chameleon doesn't eat any plants, great.

I didn't know that, luckily none of my current cham species eat foliage, although I did keep bamboo in my veiled enclosures for years. Thanks for the info.

You have PANDAS?!?!? :eek: I've got to see this! :p;)

Nah, the rascals scare my chameleons too much. :p

The story goes like this for those who haven't heard it:

A panda goes into a bar and orders a drink and sandwich.
Finishes eating, shoots the bar owner, and prepares to leave.
The bar owner cringing in pain asks..."Why?"
The panda states, "I'm a panda, look it up man."
In recovery with a dictionary next to his bed, the man looks up "panda".

It says, "A rare bearlike mammal of the mountains of China and Tibet, known for it's woolly fur and distinctive black and white markings........Eats shoots and leaves."

branches

I use smaller sized, dead forever (point that it lost its coloring), for horizontal branches. The knots will help with grip and their claws will scuff it up pretty good, giving them traction. Their are no leaves on mine, as branch had been dead for a while. Just hot glue them in from end to end. I am yet to see a cham fall off them, they actually prefered them over branches I found or bought.

Back
Top Bottom