Ball Python breeding debate/opinions?

djfishygillz

Avid Member
So I see what seems like millions of ball pythons being surged into the reptile community and it seems like every week there is a new morph out...

My question is don't ball pythons live to about 20 years old in some cases? What is going to happen when these tons and tons of morphs become out dated and people only have them to make money off breeding them? But then the value of them diminishes and then the current owners don't want them. It seems like they will end up like the o so abused leopard geckos. It seems like you can't even find a regular leopard gecko now-a-days due to all the crazy morph breeding.

My point is do you think there will be a home for every, or even one in five of these ball pythons that are being pumped into the system years down the road? I see them going around like mutt dogs that no one wants to adopt. I see 300 ball pythons for sale but only one sold. Then the conditions they live in, a 5 gallon tub box, it just looks inhumane.

Sorry for the long post, I just thought it may be an interesting conversation starter because I am sure there are plenty of python breeders on here. I would love to hear some opinions!

They will be released in the wild much like the Python problem they have in the Everglades now because of people letting them go when they got to big or just got tired of taking care of them.

They will be released in the wild much like the Python problem they have in the Everglades now because of people letting them go when they got to big or just got tired of taking care of them.

But people own them all over the country so that will be a problem of course in florida but I am curious as to what will happen across the rest of the nation. The normals already float around on craigslist like crazy.

this is an interesting topic you've brought up! ive noticed this as well and have wondered what is going to happen. i personally have a normal ball python that ive had for about 8 months. going back to the petstore now and there are still several of her siblings there. there was originally 5 and there are three left. its sad because theyll probably keep them until they sell and never handle them so that by the time they are sold they wont be able to tolerate handling and never reach their full potential. ive known multiple people who have told me they released theirs into the wild and i blows my mind because they can reek serious havoc on any eco system that is not their own. i guess overall i just dont understand what some people do with their animals. thats my 2 cents on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom