Bad pet stores ??

Lexlynn

Established Member
So here I am again trying to save every animal even when I can’t. But recently the local pet store I go to for pinky mice for my snake have added 2 new Chams to their collection. This is in New Jersey btw. And they have beardies and so on. So this is there cham. I attached photo. How do you report pet stores with bad practices ? This is awful and I’m mortified. They have a beardie w no light, and two chams one with a uV and one with a blue bulb. It’s so awful. Can you even report this? I may just buy the Cham but looks of it she’s not even close to healthy.

Attachments

• 2689E9C5-A304-498F-B4AB-67D0813020C8.jpeg
    2689E9C5-A304-498F-B4AB-67D0813020C8.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 107
Hope you told them they are assholes and that they are going to kill the poor thing😭
I wish I did. Last time I was there they had this huge beardie ive wanted one for years and I was interested in buying him. His enclosure was alright not life threatening but not the greatest. They told me they sold him and today I saw him in the back with no lights basically limp. It’s so sad

You know, these days, idk if it's even possible to make a profit as a pet store while having ethical practices. There's a few exceptions I know of that have been around a long time and stick to a niche and don't take more than they can handle. For example, I know a store that stopped carrying reptiles and stuck to aquariums because that's what they could best manage. I knew another that would only have several animals at a time and would turn away people that weren't capable of keeping them(surprise, they went out of business, can't compete with petco/petsmart when you actually care about living things eh)

You know, these days, idk if it's even possible to make a profit as a pet store while having ethical practices. There's a few exceptions I know of that have been around a long time and stick to a niche and don't take more than they can handle. For example, I know a store that stopped carrying reptiles and stuck to aquariums because that's what they could best manage. I knew another that would only have several animals at a time and would turn away people that weren't capable of keeping them(surprise, they went out of business, can't compete with petco/petsmart when you actually care about living things eh)
Makes me so mad. I get the cost to care for one is in fact expensive but don’t sell them then ?? It’s simple and it’s selfish and sad

How do you report pet stores with bad practices ?
I admire your perspecacity, but it can drive you nuts... 🤪

First, IANAL

You have to make yourself aware of the laws in your state & locality (of the store).
I would start with new jersey animal abuse laws then expand the search to local ordinances.

Complaints are generally filed with police, animal control officers, or other, depending on the state or locality.

Don't exaggerate or embellish any complaints or descriptions—it won't help and may hurt. Be aware that this could get you banned from that store.

Just don’t buy either chams. I know it’s sad and sucks to see them, but if you buy one, they’ll instantly replace it and/or take it as demand is going up and buy even more next time around

This 100%. The utilitarian approach can be hard for some, but the best thing for the most chameleons/animals is to avoid buying from places/breeders with poor practices. Most of the time, our emotions lead us wrong, even with good intent :confused:

I admire your perspecacity, but it can drive you nuts... 🤪

First, IANAL

You have to make yourself aware of the laws in your state & locality (of the store).
I would start with new jersey animal abuse laws then expand the search to local ordinances.

Complaints are generally filed with police, animal control officers, or other, depending on the state or locality.

Don't exaggerate or embellish any complaints or descriptions—it won't help and may hurt. Be aware that this could get you banned from that store.

It’s already driving me crazy 🤣 I’m gonna look into it though and I hope they ban me 😂😂😂

literally the only longstanding profitable pet stores I know around me are all super specialized hole in the wallspots In weird locations with low rent. Pet stores make most of their money on supplies and they just don't do enough numbers to compete with prices at economies of scale most. Of course there is exceptions. But it's definitely a high cost of entry and high overhead business with very tight margins

One of the reasons I don't even go to big box stores or reptile shops. I would just as soon buy online as having to witness the lack of care seen in most establishments. Just pisses me off and usually ends up in an argument.😈
They didn’t even do the bare minimum. Like yall have the supplies you need utilize them to keep an animal Alive. Unfortunately it’s all about money they don’t care about these animals one bit

Back
Top Bottom