Bad News! Worst fears come true...

That's so crappy. Losing a cham always sucks, I was always 'closest' with my chams compared to geckos and frogs. Just something about them makes them personable.

Is there something we can learn from this? What was the cause of the kidney failure? Too much supplementation? Dehydration? Using tap water?

Sorry to hear about this nonetheless.

Thanks so much for all the nice words... Brock- I don't know if there is something to gain. I specifically asked the vet "is it something I did" and he said no, my husbandry seemed right on and this is something they are prone to. He also said that he doesn't really supplement adult reptiles who are recieving an appropriate diet and lighting. So depressing... I was holding him tonight and just couldn't imagine putting him to sleep in a few days...

i feel for you ,i lost my Missy in december and even though i have Mista now i still cry when i read stories like yours,they get under your skin so far:(

Thanks so much for all the nice words... Brock- I don't know if there is something to gain. I specifically asked the vet "is it something I did" and he said no, my husbandry seemed right on and this is something they are prone to. He also said that he doesn't really supplement adult reptiles who are recieving an appropriate diet and lighting. So depressing... I was holding him tonight and just couldn't imagine putting him to sleep in a few days...

Is he suffering? You might have said it but if he is home with you, is there a way just to let him go naturally if its not too rough on him?

Sorry to hear about your loss. I had a vet tell me the same thing a while back IT SUCKS. I handled it the same way as you. Thought i was ready for the bad news as well, until i heard it from the vet.

Use this as a learning experience and keep on truckin

It never fails to upset and alarm me the speed with which these dear little creatures go downhill. Seems like they can be here one minute and gone the next.

There's something about chameleons that just sucks you in and they become family. Even though most don't interact with you, there's a secial bond and relationship there somehow. It hurts that the very kindest thing for them is the very thing that's hardest for you.

I had a sugar glider put to sleep a few years ago, it was the hardest decision ever, but it was ultimately best for him. Doesn't make it any easier knowing that it's for the best though.

My thoughts and best wishes are with you.

So Sorry Becca..........

Your posts brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry.....it sounds like Leon had a great life with you though. Chameleons are fabulous creatures and so enjoyable to watch and live with. The downside is that they just don't have the life span that cats or dogs, etc. typically have. Kidney issues in panthers are pretty typical when they get to be four years or older. They wear out. It's part of aging and not due to poor husbandry. I'm a cat person and know the same thing is typical with elderly cats. After a certain age you have to do regular blood tests to monitor kidney and liver function. The science for treating aging cat kidneys is developed and developing. Something can be done. Unfortunately, the same can not be said for chameleon kidneys.......Take comfort in the life Leon had. I believe there is a chamelon heaven :)

Back
Top Bottom