Background color for screen cage

Setth

Hey, can i ask what is the best color for screen cage background? I have white plates right now, but it doesn't look natural. Would it be possible to paint there some tree's/leaf's so it looks more green or ... i dont know, light blue, so it looks like blue sky ? Or maybe photo wallpapper?

...Or is white color best for cham's ? (i have veiled on my mind)

I don't know if chameleons have a preference.
I have a jungle print that I use. It is mostly greens like a photo wall paper.
I've seen a grass mat background that looks more natural than plain white. It will also hold a little moisture from over spray to boost humidity.
I know one person laid down leaves and spray painted around them in different layers of green and black. It came out nice. It has to go outside the screen so there is no risk of paint chips.
You have a lot of options. Show us pictures of what you come up with.

Thanks for advice, i have read somewhere, that white color is good, because it helps brightening the enclosure. But like i said, i would like to paint it, or use that idea with leaves & spray ;).
I cant afford new enclosure right now and all things connected with it, maybe after christmas, but then i'll add some pic's here for sure (y)

Hey, little update with my background. I have tried easy way, without painting and i bought photo wallpapper with leaves :). But my chameleon looked like he expected to something jump on him from there, many times i caught him staring on wall. Maybe something without pattern would be better. Now i am trying some bamboo carpet, i think it looks better and brighter (although i ended up remaking whole enclosure :D ).
KmAZuN5.jpg
653Mqzv.jpg
gNrIYsv.jpg

Are those real plants? If so what kind and where could I get them? I don't know what kind of plant is best for my veiled, (pet store told me to get moss but I feel like that's not good)

Yes, all those plants are real. On that last photo is scheflera on left, dracena on bottom, pothos on top right and some kind of bromelia in middle. On other photo is ficus tree with pothos.

You can't go wrong with pothos, it's unkillable plant :). After pothos i have best results with scheflera, but you need something to hold it...like bamboo stick or so. Many people using bromelias because nice colors but they are good water source. But that water can't be there for too long (i mean between bromelias leaves).
That big ficus realy dissapoint me, i have small ficus in my crested gecko tank and he's doing very well, but in my cham enclosure dying slowly. I think he need more light (i have "only" 2xT5 HO with basking bulb, maybe 4xT5HO would be good enough).

Those are great ideas. Have you seen the videos on how to make naturalistic backgrounds? You use pong spray foam, black silicone, peet moss and other mosses. It's actually pretty easy and looks AMAZING .The foam is about 10-15 bucks per can. Silicone is around 7 bucks a tube and Moss isn't that expensive .Search for it on YouTube, sorry I'm not being more helpful and showing you the link. The lump in the middle of my cage at the base of the fern is the sculpted foam the ledge up top left. The vines I made with burlap and silicone as well as the moss.
20180411_192656.jpg

Just lay your enclosure on it's back and apply the foam where you want it, then let it sit for 24hrs and dry. Then sculp. Get a cheap paint brush and paint your silicone on the surface over it then dump your moss on it liberally and Pat it down. Let that dry for about 12 hours then vacuum off the excess moss. Too easy and let's you build professional grade stuff in your home. Incorporate cork bark, rounds, sticks, whatever you want in your background. Hope these tips give you more ideas :)

IMG_20180506_161857.jpg
Sorry for late reply. Yea, i know about that silicone + moss thing and i realy wish i have time or place for this. But with my little daughter, i just can't let something sit for even 12hr :). But i realy wanna make something like that (looks nice in your setup cordawayconstruction), maybe in smaller tank for something else :)

Btw i trow up that bromelia and rearange just a little bit again :)

Hey, little update with my background. I have tried easy way, without painting and i bought photo wallpapper with leaves :). But my chameleon looked like he expected to something jump on him from there, many times i caught him staring on wall. Maybe something without pattern would be better. Now i am trying some bamboo carpet, i think it looks better and brighter (although i ended up remaking whole enclosure :D ).
View attachment 203678 View attachment 203679View attachment 203680

I've seen videos of Chams trying to climb on foiledge on realistic backdrops before, maybe he's just looking for limbs to climb

Back
Top Bottom