Back with another DIY (Fountain)

Panthro413

Established Member
Here's a inexpensive, safe, sanitary way to make and keep a fountain in your cage without worries of poop or your cham getting into it and drowning.

Items I used

1. Tetra water pump (small) $10.96
2. Dollar Tree Container with cap ($1.06)
Total $12.04

Link to video (fountain in action)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Blg3Ajrjzt6/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=lnlefoe57vlx
IMG_20180721_195733.jpg
IMG_20180721_204058.jpg

It's a simple concept borrowed from this product Its a Reptile Drinking Fountain that features continuous filtered flowing water for maintaining the health and well-being of all types of Chameleons
71JPxe8WqOL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Well, as I have read, fountains are discouraged because chameleons don't ever drink from water bodies in nature. If it works for you though, that's awesome. It's a great idea.
It's not a body of water as you can see in the image and video I posted on here and Instagram. It's filtered running water falling into a covered reservoir. The Cham will be drinking from the running water falling from the lip, very simple. Not rocket science. No messy water. No bacteria, just a happy hydrated chameleon who has options when it comes to hydrating.

Fountain in action

https://www.instagram.com/__panthro__

Your enginuity is good, I like the idea of creating an inexpensive way of doing it, my problem, is it isn’t safe. The chameleon could easily become trapped in the gap between the flowing water, and the edge of the Tupperware. Also, those edges on the top look cut, therefor they are probably dangerous to the chameleons feet. Now both of these could be remedied, and maybe the size is safe for an adult, but that still doesn’t take into account the fact that any kind of fountain is asking for trouble. There is no way to keep the water clean enough outside of daily disinfecting. It’s not just poop, or shed skin you need to worry about. Feeders are all attracted to water sources, and they will drown, and quickly get sucked into the filter where you can’t see them. Saying you cup feed isn’t fool proof. The only proper water element would be a large pond, with natural filtration(bog, fish), along with UV, and heavy mechanical filtration. Look, do what you want, but both the commercially available fountain, and your homemade one are I’ll suited for a chameleon. Yes, they will eventually drink from it, but they may also eventually get very sick.

Your enginuity is good, I like the idea of creating an inexpensive way of doing it, my problem, is it isn’t safe. The chameleon could easily become trapped in the gap between the flowing water, and the edge of the Tupperware. Also, those edges on the top look cut, therefor they are probably dangerous to the chameleons feet. Now both of these could be remedied, and maybe the size is safe for an adult, but that still doesn’t take into account the fact that any kind of fountain is asking for trouble. There is no way to keep the water clean enough outside of daily disinfecting. It’s not just poop, or shed skin you need to worry about. Feeders are all attracted to water sources, and they will drown, and quickly get sucked into the filter where you can’t see them. Saying you cup feed isn’t fool proof. The only proper water element would be a large pond, with natural filtration(bog, fish), along with UV, and heavy mechanical filtration. Look, do what you want, but both the commercially available fountain, and your homemade one are I’ll suited for a chameleon. Yes, they will eventually drink from it, but they may also eventually get very sick.
This isn't pond water, it's fresh clear distilled filtered water being circulated continuously. Which I will be changing weekly and washing the cup with vinegar weekly even replacing monthly being that it's only $1.06 . Thanks for the concern but I know how to care for my pet and how to keep his cage and things clean, been doing it successfully for over a year now and he loves every bit of what I do for him and even the breeder complimented my setup and dedication to raising my little guy with extra attention to husbandry details. Nice try though.

:- ) Trust, I know how to raise a healthy Cham! Meet Panthro, The friendly Cham

IMG_20180722_015524_094.jpg
IMG_20180722_013843_918.jpg
IMG_20180722_013843_923.jpg
IMG_20180721_140050_571.jpg
IMG_20180704_191957_635.jpg

I don't think filtration will do much if you clean out the filter weekly as you'll wash out all bacteria that help cleaning the water. It's why on aquariums pump maintenance is never the whole thing and only once in a while...

I like it as an idea for continuous offering of water but I think it's a unnecessary health risk so wont use it myself.

I don't think filtration will do much if you clean out the filter weekly as you'll wash out all bacteria that help cleaning the water. It's why on aquariums pump maintenance is never the whole thing and only once in a while...

I like it as an idea for continuous offering of water but I think it's a unnecessary health risk so wont use it myself.
If it's filtering dirty water I wouldn't use it. I had a pump for my turtle and the filters we're gross after a month. This is nothing like it. The water is clean and will be kept clean, the filter won't be gross because it's clean water in it and there's no dirt, debris, poop etc in it. The feeders drink from the droplets above cage that are formed from my mister. I think it's cool and am giving it a try. My Cham will love it. As all the thousands of fountain owners for there Cham do. Just go to Amazon and Google the product I posted. All the positive comments on the product are a clear indication the product works and isn't a biological time bomb as some may think.

Had there been any research done on the use of activated carbon in a chameleon's drinking water? Obviously this isn't seen in the wild. I'm not causing trouble, I'm just genuinely curious.
Yes, there has. In fact
Pads offer continuous filtered water to meet your pet’s hydration needs for up to 45 days, and work as a barrier to keep crickets out of the drinking fountain.

FEATURES:

• Keeps fountain water crystal clear and odor free for up to 45 days
  • Easy to replace pad ensures your critter has a clean, contaminate-free water source
  • Safe non-toxic construction
http://biobubblepets.com/product/reptile-drinking-fountain-replacement-pads/

I can understand that it looks like rainwater. You are right, it is a good idea and you should definitely try it, no matter how it works out. Sometimes that is what owning a chameleon is; trying new things that may not work out. Or trying things that will work out. Good luck! :)

Carbon does not remove this stuff.. . So much bad information in this thread. If you wanna clean a water feature every day, be my guest. But don't spread BS

Edit: just because you have a healthy panther(do you know the kind of hell they can survive in the wild?) Doesn't mean you're providing the proper set up or giving correct information. Maybe yours lives, maybe someone else takes your advice and gets ill or dies an early death.

Yes, there has. In fact
Pads offer continuous filtered water to meet your pet’s hydration needs for up to 45 days, and work as a barrier to keep crickets out of the drinking fountain.

FEATURES:

• Keeps fountain water crystal clear and odor free for up to 45 days
  • Easy to replace pad ensures your critter has a clean, contaminate-free water source
  • Safe non-toxic construction
http://biobubblepets.com/product/reptile-drinking-fountain-replacement-pads/

These are the company's claims, copied and pasted from their website. What I want to know is if there is any scientific knowledge of the affects of activated carbon which is inside of those pads and are considered a chemical filtration process in the aquarium hobby. Not generally seen in the lizard trade, with the exception of the semi-aquatic species, most of which hydrate their bodies via transdermal absorption, not ingestion.

To any new or impressionable chameleon keepers reading this post, any fountain or water feature is generally NOT recommended. I along with the majority of the informed, experienced community warn against the use of recirculitory bodies of water. The OP is ill informed, any water used will become contaminated almost immediately. This is a terrible idea. Arguing that it is safe is ridiculous.

Not reading this whole post, but ALL water will grow bacteria... if you have an understanding of aquariums you'll understand that water will spike with ammonia and nitrates at some point. Any water feature will take continuous cleaning or serious filtration.

Just stop already, I've been reefing for over 15 years and to apply the nitrogen cycle to this specific thread as if there's any meaningful similarities is just laughable. The OP stated he's going to clean it frequently which means a 100% water change every time including using distilled water. The constant cleaning of the container is NOT going to let the nitrogen cycle happen.

Back
Top Bottom