back to the drawing board agrobrite is TOO big

Multivitamins

Chameleon Enthusiast
It's back to the drawing board on lighting
I'm starting to reevaluate my lighting needs for my new chameleon enclosure to get you caught up to speed I currently have a 2x2x4 zoo med that the chameleon is in using a quad fixture and a 65 watt flood light the new enclosure is also the same cage but I was hoping they supplement it with a 70 watts and see LED since I have about a dozen plants in there. I bought the agrobrite on recommendations and performance as well as its price I didn't consider how large it was 13 inches wide across my screen top is too much real estate in my mind. my current quad fixture measures under 10 and has a great timer. But I suspected underperforms

my thought is if I were to get a single or dual t5 simply for UVB would the sansi be enough to keep my eyes and plants happy

does anyone run a setup like this using a single Arcadia uvb perhaps and then running a sansi 70w LEDs for the full spectrum light.
And then just a clamp light for basking that's what I might move towards if it will provide the correct equation for the chameleon.

Basking spots are about 8-10 inches from the ceiling so I am troubleshooting basking lights as well

I don't want to kill my LED throwing as Little heat at it seems like a good idea if I can accommodate temps using a stronger basking bulb

If you have time to spitball light ideas let me know. Thanks 👍

Are you running the old odessya quad with one reflector for all 4 bulbs. If so the out put sucks on this one compared to anything else you use lol.

Are you running the old odessya quad with one reflector for all 4 bulbs. If so the out put sucks on this one compared to anything else you use lol.

Yeah it's the one I got from light your reptiles.
I'm tempted to do a side by side but also tempted to not open it and return it. Do you think a single or dual would be ok with the sansi as well .. the agrobrite two bulb is only 8 inches wide and leaves plenty of room for dripper and other lights.

I fear with that beast 4 bulb agrobrite I won't have room for the led or basking and perhaps it'll be overkill with the led and a true HO fixture vs this odessa

Yeah it's the one I got from light your reptiles.
I'm tempted to do a side by side but also tempted to not open it and return it. Do you think a single or dual would be ok with the sansi as well .. the agrobrite two bulb is only 8 inches wide and leaves plenty of room for dripper and other lights.

I fear with that beast 4 bulb agrobrite I won't have room for the led or basking and perhaps it'll be overkill with the led and a true HO fixture vs this odessa
So I bought a vivosun quad and had the same issue it was 14 inches deep and took up way too much room. Was shocking after having my LYR quad. So then I switched to 3 single t5HO Fixtures. 1 for uvb and 2 for 6500 daylight bulbs.
I have no issue with my plants but they are pothos, draceana, and money trees.

I have seen people run singles and the duals with the sansi or even the jungle dawn bars. Those are really nice and what I wanted to go with but they were out of stock when I changed all my lighting.

So I bought a vivosun quad and had the same issue it was 14 inches deep and took up way too much room. Was shocking after having my LYR quad. So then I switched to 3 single t5HO Fixtures. 1 for uvb and 2 for 6500 daylight bulbs.
I have no issue with my plants but they are pothos, draceana, and money trees.

I have seen people run singles and the duals with the sansi or even the jungle dawn bars. Those are really nice and what I wanted to go with but they were out of stock when I changed all my lighting.
As always you are incredibly helpful @Beman
Do you have any pics for reference of the oddesa from lyr vs the vivosun or the single your running also what temp difference was there as im sure a quad being larger made and traped more heat.

As always you are incredibly helpful @Beman
Do you have any pics for reference of the oddesa from lyr vs the vivosun or the single your running also what temp difference was there as im sure a quad being larger made and traped more heat.
No pics of the vivosun... But my oddesa was a little over 8 inches in depth.

I am getting the exact same temps with my 3 singles but I do have them sitting right next to each other on top... at 9 inches down to basking vs my quad if I am remembering correctly sat like 6-7 inches down to basking for a 3 UVI level. My temps below the 3 singles at 8-9 inches down measuring at the branch are running 80-83. In fact the boys rarely use the basking fixture and stay below the T5's.

To give you an idea of light output these are my three running. 1 uvb and two 6500 daylight bulbs. The singles are only 2 inches in depth.

I currently have three 36 inch fixtures on the atrium on the right. I have the 48 inch fixtures on the two cages on the left.

These are the ones I am running and they come with the daylight bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/t5-uvb-light-fixture.html

updated clear fronts all.jpg

Thank you Cool going to pick up a double t5 now !!! *** Ended up with a sunblaze vs agrobrite was sold on the superior warranty.

Last edited:
Not sure if this helps, but I lit my display bio enclosure with jungle Dawn's(sansi would work just as well I'd assume) and then used a t8 fixture with 6500k leds just to fill in the spots that were shaded between the jungledawns. I used a t8 uvb bulb as well because it worked for my situation. Also tried a dual t5 with 1 grow 6500k and the uvb.

So I've tried to add pictures on multiple occasions now and it won't work.

Last edited:
Thank you Cool going to pick up a double t5 now !!! *** Ended up with a sunblaze vs agrobrite was sold on the superior warranty.
Cool. Are you putting the UVB in this one? If so I believe this one has individual reflectors that drop down in between the bulbs. You will need to only use a 6% or 5.0 UVB bulb and your distance would be 8-9 inches to basking for a 3 UVI same as a single t5 because of the individual reflectors. Shared reflector for all bulbs will make your distance to basking closer though.

Cool. Are you putting the UVB in this one? If so I believe this one has individual reflectors that drop down in between the bulbs. You will need to only use a 6% or 5.0 UVB bulb and your distance would be 8-9 inches to basking for a 3 UVI same as a single t5 because of the individual reflectors. Shared reflector for all bulbs will make your distance to basking closer though.
That will be ideal!!! I've always used the 6% glad these reflectors are decent I can't afford the solormeter I'm broke after the build and taking the time off to do it. so I'm giving perching option from 7-10 inches from the screen top and it leaves me some wiggle room to raise the ballast up on risers ..I've put perching spots in various areas under uvb and basking since i won't know where he likes to be till he's in there and I can adjust basking with a zip tie and a branch or three lol. Going to let these plonts grow in a bit and try to find something to fill some pockets that are empty. I've got two more ferns and 1000 pothos clones and a really beat up Tradescantia zebrina that did not enjoy being washed.

That will be ideal!!! I've always used the 6% glad these reflectors are decent I can't afford the solormeter I'm broke after the build and taking the time off to do it. so I'm giving perching option from 7-10 inches from the screen top and it leaves me some wiggle room to raise the ballast up on risers ..I've put perching spots in various areas under uvb and basking since i won't know where he likes to be till he's in there and I can adjust basking with a zip tie and a branch or three lol. Going to let these plonts grow in a bit and try to find something to fill some pockets that are empty. I've got two more ferns and 1000 pothos clones and a really beat up Tradescantia zebrina that did not enjoy being washed.
Ok So the UVI will be a lot higher then he is used to with this new one. I had to use a 12% with the odyssa quad at 7 inches down to get the 3 UVI level with the 6% I only got a little over a 1 UVI. You may notice him being more active then usual once he adjusts getting the higher UVI level.

my thought is if I were to get a single or dual t5 simply for UVB would the sansi be enough to keep my eyes and plants happy
Yes. Single T5 for UVB should be sufficient.

does anyone run a setup like this using a single Arcadia uvb perhaps and then running a sansi 70w LEDs for the full spectrum light.
And then just a clamp light for basking that's what I might move towards if it will provide the correct equation for the chameleon.
That's exactly what I use, except that I have 2-70W Sansi pads because the enclosure is double wide (48").

I'm currently using a 65W incandescent flood (not spot) for basking. Basking site is @ 80-85F (gradient) by mounting the fixture at an angle.

Thank you @Klyde O'Scope this puts my mind at ease I couldn't bring myself to put that quad up top it was too big and I felt overkill. The additional light from the sansi on my chams currently enclosure is amazing "he is like damn dude where's the cloud cover at lol"

I think I have the setup you are talking about, but over an 18x18x36. Basking/single t5uvb/sansi.
It is next to a setup that has a single 5t uvb and seven led strips.
20210227_104321.jpg

20210227_104346.jpg

I also have a couple of cheapo amazon outdoor led spots over different cages, two over a 24x24x48.
They have a surprising amount of punch, and the plants seem to love them
20210227_104432.jpg

Attachments

• 20210227_104432.jpg
    20210227_104432.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 106
Back
Top Bottom