Back legs

So the story of my vail chameleon is that my friend brother found her in the street last year around December and I took her in I got her cage at pet code thats the photo of it , and I don’t know her age I got her that big :/.. some guy from petcode to me to feed her 5 worms and I feed her every day and I spray her 3 times a day I use the lights that came in the box the heat one is 60 degrees for her water I have a little pool where she cames down and drinks it. My mom gets her pants and she’ll eat them and we replace them when they dry out. She’s always bright green so I think that means she’s happy I never pick her up she doesn’t like it but when I do I take her outside to where my mom has her orchid let her get sun this is here when she’s happy before her kids came I saw that vail chameleon have 30-80 kids so 42 should be okay
What a chameleon can lay and what a chameleon should lay in terms of clutch size are two very different things. Humans have the capacity to carry many more than one child, but the health risks increase as age and the number of children increases. It is worse for female egg-laying chameleons to have large clutches because it severely depletes their calcium levels. When they lay, the eggs are essentially sucking the life from them. There are clearly a lot of husbandry (care) issues here, but you're in the right place to receive help! However, if you're unwilling to (at minimum) write out full sentences, answer the questions @kinyonga asked, and fill out the form that @ERKleRose posted - you won't receive much help. I hope you are able to make the changes to give her a better life!

So the story of my vail chameleon is that my friend brother found her in the street last year around December and I took her in I got her cage at pet code thats the photo of it , and I don’t know her age I got her that big :/.. some guy from petcode to me to feed her 5 worms and I feed her every day and I spray her 3 times a day I use the lights that came in the box the heat one is 60 degrees for her water I have a little pool where she cames down and drinks it. My mom gets her pants and she’ll eat them and we replace them when they dry out. She’s always bright green so I think that means she’s happy I never pick her up she doesn’t like it but when I do I take her outside to where my mom has her orchid let her get sun this is here when she’s happy before her kids came I saw that vail chameleon have 30-80 kids so 42 should be okay
So sadly, mostly all of that is wrong. Organizing your info into the form will be easiest for us to help you. Just make sure to fill it out as detailed as possible and include pics of her entire cages and lights! But what I can say from this is that the cage is too small, the lights are wrong, the feeders are wrong, the temps are wrong (unless you meant 60 watt bulb?), the water pool is completely wrong ands dangerous, and the amount of eggs she laid is wrong. 42 eggs is way too much, no matter what you've been told! Temperatures and the amount of feeders contribute to how many eggs she'll lay, so each needs to be accurately monitored! Do you have an experienced chameleon vet you can take her to for a general check-up, x-rays (for calcium levels and to make sure all eggs were laid), and bloodwork?

This is like a disaster waiting to happen. You really don't want to wake up to a dead chameleon especially if it's at the cost of your chameleons life. You're the one who has to bare the weight of knowing your husbandry fell short of acceptable standards, so far as to cause your chameleon to pass away. It's not a great feeling, as a child I made the mistake of owning a chameleon way before I was responsible enough to understand a proper level of care. It's why I care so much to be observant of my chameleons health and actually listen to the advice of people who have way more experience than I do. Everyone here is literally just trying to help you, and they've gone above and beyond in asking you multiple times to fill out the form. The least you can do is allow them to review your husbandry by properly filling out the form so we can help you keep your chameleon happy and healthy, that's what matters here. It's okay to fall short, what's not okay is to fall short, knowingly ignore sound advice, and continue to follow your same care practices. A change in routine isn't just good for your animal, it's good for you too as a person.

This is like a disaster waiting to happen. You really don't want to wake up to a dead chameleon especially if it's at the cost of your chameleons life. You're the one who has to bare the weight of knowing your husbandry fell short of acceptable standards, so far as to cause your chameleon to pass away. It's not a great feeling, as a child I made the mistake of owning a chameleon way before I was responsible enough to understand a proper level of care. It's why I care so much to be observant of my chameleons health and actually listen to the advice of people who have way more experience than I do. Everyone here is literally just trying to help you, and they've gone above and beyond in asking you multiple times to fill out the form. The least you can do is allow them to review your husbandry by properly filling out the form so we can help you keep your chameleon happy and healthy, that's what matters here. It's okay to fall short, what's not okay is to fall short, knowingly ignore sound advice, and continue to follow your same care practices. A change in routine isn't just good for your animal, it's good for you too as a person.
Okay well I’m new today website and I’m trying my best I do have a vet meeting on the 24 th that’s the closest I could get

Okay well I’m new today website and I’m trying my best I do have a vet meeting on the 24 th that’s the closest I could get
That's not what they asked though... they wanted you to answer their questions and you are not doing that. If you want your chameleon to live you have to work with us a little bit, if you dont, she will die, period. No if, and, or buts. If you care about this creature please answer the questions we ask you. I'm not trying to be mean or rude but your chameleons life is at stake.

In case you've forgotten, here is what everyone is asking you to fill out. The sooner you do that, the better they're able to assist you in sorting out husbandry issues. Going to the vet won't help if you don't fix any issues within her enclosure.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Filling out the form will help alot. The care needs to be changed, but I don't blame that on you. There is a ton of miss information and that is the problem. You did what you were told she seemed fine so what else would you do? Well Chameleon are a bit trickier, and the information you got was indeed wrong. On my site we break down the care in an easy to read way. Our information and care follow the guide lines laid out by Bill Strand and Peter Necas.
The good news is she laid calcified eggs so she had enough at that time. Fill out the form and check out the site and she can be just fine with some adjustments to care.

This can really be overwhelming for someone not prepared to see these responses, especially when someone saved a chameleon and is new to it, i'm wondering in some cases people may give up from the stress and pass them to an even worse place, or discard them completely? I know I found a veiled in my yard, but i'm fortunate to have the resources to take care of him properly. Some people live in rural parts of the country/world and you just can't get the required components/cages easily. Even in big cities it seems hard to get exotic vet appointments. The problem is that corporate pet stores are selling these creatures and lots of misinformation is given, heck even some exotic pet stores give bad info. I'm fortunate to have found this forum.

I can donate a proper uvb for you if you contact me....

Back
Top Bottom