Back legs seems paralyzed Male veiled

Mawtyplant

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello there,
So in a pet shop where I go sometime, they ask for my advices about a chameleon (customer bring him.. impossible to have a clear history of what happen and on the husbandry so don't ask me too fill the help form please because I have no information.. and pointless to give me the "go to the vet asap" advices since this is not my chameleon! really what I need is advices on what could be the cause!)

So! the chameleon is a veiled, about 2 years old. For the age he look a bit young. Dont seem to have MBD (joint look good!) eyes are not wrinkles weird and skin make me think he is "ok" hydrated but probably not alway ok. The major problem is he can't use the back legs and the tail is really weak.

So this is what I notice :

-no bruise (so I don't think they clamp him or injured)
-pupil don't really response to the light (so pupils not dilating like normal pupils when I use a flash light)
-upper legs are strong but back legs look "dead"
-inside of the mouth really pale (maybe, blood circulation?)
-when I stretch the feet I can get some small small ..small responses so maybe spinal cord is intact, might be something else? (almost reflex)
-all the lower part of the body seem darker
-refusing to eat (but this can be caused by stress
-all the info we got was not clear.. but they said he might have a heat wave (so maybe dehydration and overheating can cause this?)

Is any of you can think about something?

Thanks! ;)

Does the tail look normal? By normal I mean straight. Kinda sounds like maybe a neurological disorder?

Does the tail look normal? Kinda sounds like maybe a neurological disorder?
Tail look weak, only problem is if its neurological, why the color is darker? I think about impaction with pinched nerve or bad blood circulation caused by I don't know what :/

With neurological disorder is there any other symptoms?

From the Cham health sheets : Discoloration of large parts of the body, including the tail, could indicate a potential neurological problem like a spinal fracture or pinched nerve due to organ displacement.

From google search (about humans):

Physical symptoms of neurological problems may include the following:
  • Partial or complete paralysis
  • Muscle weakness
  • Partial or complete loss of sensation
  • Seizures
  • Difficulty reading and writing
  • Poor cognitive abilities
  • Unexplained pain
  • Decreased alertness

if you have noticed any of the following complaints, you may wish to seek professional assistance:
  • Headaches
  • Blurry vision
  • Fatigue
  • Changes in behavior
  • Numbness in the legs or arms
  • Changes in coordination or balance
  • Weakness
  • Slurred speech
  • Tremors

Some of the symptoms seem to line up.

Back
Top Bottom