Back injury--calling all rehabbers

jajeanpierre

Chameleon Enthusiast
I finally did it--yesterday I splooshed a tiny baby in the door on the hinge side of an Exo-Terra. Silly baby was escaping in the opening. I had caught him once but he snuck up on me a second time as I shut the door.

The door caught him in the thoracic part of his back. He was immediately paralyzed from the mid back down. Having bred Dachshunds, I knew that what you see isn't necessarily what you get in the end so I put him safely in a jar in the dark with a fogger. When he got over his initial shock, he seemed pretty alert and bright eyed so I offered him fruit flies which he seemed interested in but I didn't watch to see if he ate any. That's all he needed after such a traumatic injury--a big monster peering in on him when he was paralyzed and helpless.

This morning he seemed a lot better. He had a bowel movement and I saw him eating a fruit fly. His tail was curled in a normal curl, so that was a good sign. When he was dragging himself, he grabbed a plant stem with his right hing leg but couldn't let it go. I took him out and found that he could move his left foot and went shocky from apparent pain when I was handling him. Throughout the day, he seems to be getting better and better. He is now able to bring his right leg forward and grasp but is still having trouble letting go. His grasp in his right hind foot is pretty good. He was using his arms to pull himself up when his right hind leg had another branch in its grasp and he ended up lifting it up. I figured the traction wouldn't hurt. I think he can move his left leg forward a little and grasp very weakly.

I'm very happy with how he is after only about 24 hours. I know with Dachshunds who become paralyzed from disc problems in their upper back (about where this little guy got splooshed), they can be so damaged that they are unable to void their bladders but with time, can pretty much completely recover from their episode. The fact he had a bowel movement and went from not being able to move legs, feet or tail to grasping strongly with one leg is very encouraging.

I need suggestions on housing. He drags himself and definitely wants to be on branches but his tail and pathetic legs have been getting caught in the twigs. Sometimes his right foot will grab onto a branch and not let go and he ends up pulling with all his might with his front legs while his hind leg holds tight. Plus, the twigs/stems roll. I need to anchor them so they don't roll but also be able to get him out if I need to. I tried putting a damp cocofiber layer in but I didn't like it when he ended up in it. He can end up in pain and goes shocky. He has a lot of trouble staying upright at the moment. He doesn't need anything that might get in his eyes. He also needs a really small enclosure so the fruit flies are easily. I wanted to give him cover but he gets tangled in it. I have him in a big gallon jar inside a black bag so there the only movement he sees is from directly above.

I feel he deserves a shot. If I thought he was female, I would cull her because she just does not need to deal with egg laying with any sort of nerve damage.

In the first picture, you can see a light area on his rib cage. That's where the door shut on him. He looks pretty normal, but most of the time both hind legs are hang uselessly, bent at the knees and drawn up to his belly. Both feet do work, the right one stronger than the left. In the second picture, you can see how teeny tiny he is--those are fruit flies on his face. He is MUCH better at keeping himself upright today.

I think I should name him Sploosh. @Andee

20180121_140729.jpg

20180121_143806.jpg

Hey sweetie I am here. So increase vitamin intake (or just gutload with some super high quality ingredients for a while even with the fruit flies, certain ingredients can be added to a medium to increase the quality of fruit flies I don't know what you are using as a medium?), vitamins shouldn't be increased too much I think... Since he is a montane and he is such a baby. Idk what weather is where you are but can you get him outside in some sun without too much stress? He would benefit massively from the healing of natural UVB. As far as housing I would actually recommend gutter guard as a replacement for sticks and incase of falling. It doesn't move much and you can hot glue it safely to the sides of the jar in a way you could still clean? Or you could house him in a bug exoterra? They are super tiny but would probably be easier to clean with the gutter guard added. Use only fake plants right now with him *makes face*. That way they are easy to remove and adjust if necessary. Silk may be to moveable for what you want? Might want to go with plastic? Not sure? Definitely keep fogger going the majority of the time I think. He needs to be able to be safe with hydration. But just allow for the decent lull inbetween just so we don't have to worry about any secondary infections since he's stressed anyway. Sadly we can only give him the tools and hopes he runs with it, he actually sounds like he's doing pretty good. Babies are amazing healers.

Poor little guy, hopefully he can get better. I think housing wise, you can put him in an ExoTerra Nano, and have a nice leafy plant above, like some plant, forgot the name, but it was Brasil or something. You can have a small asparagus fern in there, very soft-ish, or something else. On the bottom, you can have a little bit of substrate, then a lot of sphagnum moss, and springtails to top it off, the less disturbance for cleaning, and extra minor food source, the better. Hopefully this helps!

l am not too sure about the spaghnum moss on top in large amounts at his age but I definitely agree with some substrate I think and less disturbance and a cleaner crew. Especially if you have some sort of catch net where he can't get on the bottom easily until he's a bit more mobile.

l am not too sure about the spaghnum moss on top in large amounts at his age but I definitely agree with some substrate I think and less disturbance and a cleaner crew. Especially if you have some sort of catch net where he can't get on the bottom easily until he's a bit more mobile.
Oops, forget about the moss. Just have something cushiony.

I was thinking of an artificial "boxwood" type of mat that he could easily navigate. Somewhat dense but not something that he can get stuck between.

He looks like a fighter! I hope he will be O.K. :).

Hey sweetie I am here. So increase vitamin intake (or just gutload with some super high quality ingredients for a while even with the fruit flies, certain ingredients can be added to a medium to increase the quality of fruit flies I don't know what you are using as a medium?), vitamins shouldn't be increased too much I think... Since he is a montane and he is such a baby. Idk what weather is where you are but can you get him outside in some sun without too much stress? He would benefit massively from the healing of natural UVB. As far as housing I would actually recommend gutter guard as a replacement for sticks and incase of falling. It doesn't move much and you can hot glue it safely to the sides of the jar in a way you could still clean? Or you could house him in a bug exoterra? They are super tiny but would probably be easier to clean with the gutter guard added. Use only fake plants right now with him *makes face*. That way they are easy to remove and adjust if necessary. Silk may be to moveable for what you want? Might want to go with plastic? Not sure? Definitely keep fogger going the majority of the time I think. He needs to be able to be safe with hydration. But just allow for the decent lull inbetween just so we don't have to worry about any secondary infections since he's stressed anyway. Sadly we can only give him the tools and hopes he runs with it, he actually sounds like he's doing pretty good. Babies are amazing healers.

How do you want me to use the gutter guard? Up the sides? At the moment, I don't want him to get off the ground more than an inch or two. I have some gutter guard that came with hornworms but I'm a bit worried he could fit his head through. That's all he would need today--thrashing around with a broken back. I'll check the size compared to his head.

I'm using Repashy fruit fly food.

I put in sprigs of that purple plant that is so fragile. I can't remember the name--you can see it in the second picture. The stalks are the right size and they sprout roots at ever leaf joint so stay alive without soil. I just hate to see him struggling and getting his curled tail and bent legs tangled in the branches. He's got a long way to go but he's made incredible progress so far in only 24 hours so I am hopeful once the swelling goes down, he will be pretty much normal.

I bred Dachshunds and although I never had a paralyzed one, I did know about it and what to do. Lots of Dachshunds that are completely paralyzed and unable to even void their bladder can recover with just crate rest.

Thanks for the tips.

I sometimes forget how small babies are when they come out of the egg. Might want to do some up the side just so he can grip onto it and only an inch up or so. Just enough to encourage movement but not enough to hurt him. I worry about him being to stagnant but falling and too much movement can make inflammation worse. It's a dangerous line of balance. I am dealing with a senior bichon frise who has a massive disc issue right now and walking him has to be very different now since the injury has happened. Add some spirulina, some crushed bee pollen, and like 1/2 a cup of a blended of veggies to the repashy fruit fly food. Sometimes adding a tablespoon of honey or half a banana will help fruit flies eat it, and then add a tiny 1/2 teaspoon of brewer's yeast to discourage any mold growth cause sometimes adding some extra fruit and veggies can increase that probability. I make my own mediums for fruit flies, but definitely add some good gutload additions to it and it will carry onto the fly stage for 18 hours of the fruit flies life.

How do you want me to use the gutter guard? Up the sides? At the moment, I don't want him to get off the ground more than an inch or two. I have some gutter guard that came with hornworms but I'm a bit worried he could fit his head through. That's all he would need today--thrashing around with a broken back. I'll check the size compared to his head.

I'm using Repashy fruit fly food.

I put in sprigs of that purple plant that is so fragile. I can't remember the name--you can see it in the second picture. The stalks are the right size and they sprout roots at ever leaf joint so stay alive without soil. I just hate to see him struggling and getting his curled tail and bent legs tangled in the branches. He's got a long way to go but he's made incredible progress so far in only 24 hours so I am hopeful once the swelling goes down, he will be pretty much normal.

I bred Dachshunds and although I never had a paralyzed one, I did know about it and what to do. Lots of Dachshunds that are completely paralyzed and unable to even void their bladder can recover with just crate rest.

Thanks for the tips.
About how big is he right now?

With humans in medicine we use cooler temperatures after neurological injuries because it decreases inflamation and swelling in order to increase blood flow through the affected area and to prevent more permanent dammage.

I am just wondering if it would be beneficial to keep the cage temperatures for this little one in the safe low range for a month or so?

With humans in medicine we use cooler temperatures after neurological injuries because it decreases inflamation and swelling in order to increase blood flow through the affected area and to prevent more permanent dammage.

I am just wondering if it would be beneficial to keep the cage temperatures for this little one in the safe low range for a month or so?
Do you think a cool mist humidifier would do the trick to lower them under 70?

Since it is winter all it might take is to have this baby in a cooler room of the house. I agree, chameleons thrive in high humidity environments. I already know that @jajeanpierre is on top of that aspect though! She always encourages other chameleon keepers to push hydration!

I would try to monitor fecal activity. With an injury such as this there could be some difficulty passing waste.

I wonder if there is an anti-inflammatory that could be administered as a precaution or if that could mask some symptoms that you may want to be aware of...

I would try to monitor fecal activity. With an injury such as this there could be some difficulty passing waste.

I wonder if there is an anti-inflammatory that could be administered as a precaution or if that could mask some symptoms that you may want to be aware of...

I found a bowel movement early this morning which was a HUGE relief. He improved his movement throughout the day so I am hoping he will make it and get over it. I'm pretty sure he is male, so I don't have to worry about eggs. If the baby were female, I would just euthanize. Captive females have enough trouble laying eggs, especially as they get older. I am not going to add nerve damage on top of it.

He's too little to try to medicate. He's only three weeks old. He probably only weighs 1.2g.

Back
Top Bottom