Baby Yemen Shedding?

Sam Carline

Hi everyone,

My baby cham is only 7 weeks old and he is shedding his skin, is this normal? I am so worried :( no one told me they do this and I've not had a cham before so I don't want him to be dehydrated or something?!

PLEASE HELP :( :(

Hi everyone,

My baby cham is only 7 weeks old and he is shedding his skin, is this normal? I am so worried :( no one told me they do this and I've not had a cham before so I don't want him to be dehydrated or something?!

PLEASE HELP :( :(

Hi your Cham is very normal. As he grows he will literally burst out of his skin very regularly. He will become paler in colour before it happens. Please don't try to help him as he will manage himself. Extra mistings are a good idea at this time. If you are worried about dehydration check his poop. You want it to be brown and white. If there is any yellow or orange, up the mistings.:) would love to see a pic of your baby.:)

Hi your Cham is very normal. As he grows he will literally burst out of his skin very regularly. He will become paler in colour before it happens. Please don't try to help him as he will manage himself. Extra mistings are a good idea at this time. If you are worried about dehydration check his poop. You want it to be brown and white. If there is any yellow or orange, up the mistings.:) would love to see a pic of your baby.:)

Thank you so much! I was so worried about him, the place I got him from didn't tell me this happened at all and he knew I hadn't had one before! Thank you :) the bottom of his back feet seem to look a bit sore? They are orangey? Is this normal also? He also sits hidden in his plant and I'm worried. I feel like such a kid for worrying so much but I love him so much and just want him to be okay and healthy :(

Can I also ask, I was told to put a layer of bark at the bottom of his tank but is this right because I think the food is hiding under it so he can't see it? His food is so tiny obviously and I don't want him to starve! I worry too much, I know :( haha. Thank you so much for your help xx

I've attached some pictures of him for you :) xx

WP_20130608_003.jpg

WP_20130608_010.jpg

WP_20130608_018.jpg

WP_20130608_023.jpg

WP_20130610_003.jpg

Hi Sam, i don't use any kind of substrate in my enclosures because it can be a nice hideing place for parasites and if your cham shoots a bug he can eat a peace of bark and thats not good. It's normal to worry i also worried alot in the beginning, btw your cham and enclosure look stunning!

Your little guy will shed frequently until he grows, then will slow down.

No worries, just keep the humidity up and remember to resist the temtation
of picking the skin off your self. Even if it's just hanging off him, let him remove the skin himself.

Hi Sam, i don't use any kind of substrate in my enclosures because it can be a nice hideing place for parasites and if your cham shoots a bug he can eat a peace of bark and thats not good.

I have some substrate in there as well but I am going to take the bark out tonight, I think. I don't want to risk hurting him, when they are bigger is it okay to use? Also, any ideas on when can I increase the size of his food, I don't want him to get hungry! :)

It's normal to worry i also worried alot in the beginning, btw your cham and enclosure look stunning!

Thank you so much! :D

Your little guy will shed frequently until he grows, then will slow down.

No worries, just keep the humidity up and remember to resist the temtation
of picking the skin off your self. Even if it's just hanging off him, let him remove the skin himself.

Thanks so much for your help! :D x

My little guy shed yesterday (he is about 3 months) i felt really sorry for him because he looked so unhappy. It only took him a few hours though. He did have a tiny bit in his tail and on 1 leg this morning (its gone now though) and he is beautiful green again. I would remove the bark. Rule of thumb is only use food that is the size between the chameleons eyes. Anything bigger and your little guy may choke. I feed mine small crickets and about 12 to 15 a day. I take any out at night that he doesn't eat.

I know that owning a chameleon can be worrying but try to enjoy your little guy. I don't see mine drink and it worries me but he isn't looking dehydrated and his urates are white so I figure he is drinking without me watching. I am trying not to stress about it but it is hard.

I'm going to attach the forum's official Veiled caresheet, it should help fill in any questions you may have: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

We're happy to answer any additional concerns or anything you need clarified but that should answer a good chunk of your questions :) He looks very little, perhaps around 2 months old, so I would look at what a little one his age should be eating and their temps (which are a little lower than they would be for an adult.)

And welcome to the forum! I see you just joined very recently.

I have some substrate in there as well but I am going to take the bark out tonight, I think. I don't want to risk hurting him, when they are bigger is it okay to use? Also, any ideas on when can I increase the size of his food, I don't want him to get hungry! QUOTE.

I wouldn't use substrate at all at any age. I have used it with no problems but having read posts on here where things go wrong I took it out and use reptile carpet instead. A lot of owners on here use paper towel and change it regularly.:)

Back
Top Bottom