baby veils vs juveniles

Kevin b

Okay, so this is my first time getting a chameleon been researching a whole lot. One of my questions is it difficult to own a baby veil then a juvenile?

Yes, but is it just a little difficult so first time chameleons owners can own a baby. Or is it wayyyy more difficult where it should be done by experienced owners.

One of the issues is that if you buy a very young one there is a mortality rate...some if them just don't make it for no apparent reason. They dehydrate quicker because of their small size and you need to have your husbandry right. I would advise you don't get one under 3 months for a first one....and get a male so you don't have to deal with reproductive issues.

Okay I am planning on getting a male and I have 3 options buy a juvenile veiled chameleon for 135$ including 50$ shipping fee, or buy a baby veiled chameleon for 39.99$ including 3.99, and lastly I could buy from a place for 40$, but has a cage of 5 juvenile veiled chameleons and does not get dusted food, but they do have a fully grown Jackson and panther chameleon, so they are doing something right!

Last edited:
Can't tell you what is the best option of the ones you listed. Are you sure the one store grew the Jacksons and veiled??
I would advise you to look for a reputable breeder and get one from them.

Do you know about supplements, feeding g/gutloading insects, appropriate basking and cage temperatures, providing water, UVB lighting, etc?

I would supplement with d3 twice a month, once a month multivitamin, and the rest without d3. I need to know more about gutloading, but I think I should gutload with orange slices, lettuce and, shredded carrots. For a heat bulb I heard you should use a regular incandescent bulb, and I have a reptisun 5.0 strip bulb for uvb. I'm pretty sure you increase the temp every month, so start out with 80 degrees for a baby. You should spray at least 2 times a day about 5 minutes each.

You said..." I need to know more about gutloading, but I think I should gutload with orange slices, lettuce and, shredded carrots"...lettuce is only good for moisture. You can use dandelion greens, kale, endive, escarole, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, a small amount of fruit such as berries, pears, apples, melon.. You said..." For a heat bulb I heard you should use a regular incandescent bulb, and I have a reptisun 5.0 strip bulb for uvb"...that's what I use..You said..." I'm pretty sure you increase the temp every month, so start out with 80 degrees for a baby"...low 80's F for a hatchling and adult female if you don't want her to produce large clutches. Mid 80's for an adult male is fine.. You said..."You should spray at least 2 times a day about 5 minutes each" ...I would also use a dripper.

In regards to breeder recommendations, I bought my cham from FLChams. Got a very healthy and active 4 month old male veiled. He was shipped over night and securely packaged. He is now about 11 months old and I couldn't be happier. Well worth the price for what you get.

Back
Top Bottom