Baby Veiled Spits dusted Crickets

Hey all,
I'm new to the forum and being a chameleon owner.Two weeks ago, I purchased Camo at a recent reptile show. I had already done all my research and had everything I needed (net enclosure, weeping fig plant, a few manzanita branches, a heat source and uvb lamp, drip system, thermometor, Rep-Cal's herptivite and Calcium with vitamin d). Anyhow, the lady I purchased him from told me that he was on a 2 week old cricket diet. (I always have "small" sized crickets for my red eye tree frogs which I gutload them with zuchinni and carrots). Anyhow, my research says that the crickets should be "dusted" with the vitamin and mineral products in a twice weekly rotation. I tried this a few times already but Camo won't eat the crickets. He will come up the the feeder cup and catch his cricket, then spit them out. I came home once to find about 6-7 crickets dead stuck to the side of the cup from him spitting them back out. What should I do? I fed him mealworms for a day and he liked them but my research says that they aren't the most nutritious and should be more of a "treat". I went back to crickets and he's ok with them but he just wont eat them when they're dusted. I assume gut-loading isn't enough. I've also put some shredded carrots on some leaves to see if he would try them but he has no interest. Any suggestions would be great!

Maybe try dusting them lighter. It's hard to get calcium into a cricket. There are a few gutload recipes out there that focus on calcium. As your cham gets older he may not be so picky. You said that he eats mealworms without problem and undusted crickets without problem so it's good to know theres probably not an underlying problem. Another member will probably come around with some awesome advice. I'll keep watching this tread.

My book said to lightly mist his crickets and then do the "shake-n-bake" method with the calcium powder. I wouldn't say the crickets were encrusted in the powder but they were on the whiter side.

dont mist the crickets you are probably over dusting and he can tell the difference. dry dust with a smaller amount and see if he eats them

Back
Top Bottom