Baby veiled sleeping 24/7?

Chloe E

I need some help here, I’ve got a couple months old female veiled chameleon. I got her Jan 1st and everything’s been fine. On Tuesday (she eats dried mealworms off my shirt or hand) she didn’t use her tongue. She stuck it out about half an inch then back in 4 times. I moved her closer and she ate it with her mouth. Then since Wednesday, yesterday, and today she’s been sleeping ALLLL day. I’m really worried. She’s not active anymore. I haven’t been handling her since Tuesday, please help. Thanks, (pic from Jan)

- C
E7287BB8-8B80-4E55-9CE9-855AF65C1576.jpeg

Hi please fill out with complete detail answering all pieces so we can give you proper feedback. Do not feed any more mealworms as this can cause an impaction.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I need some help here, I’ve got a couple months old female veiled chameleon. I got her Jan 1st and everything’s been fine. On Tuesday (she eats dried mealworms off my shirt or hand) she didn’t use her tongue. She stuck it out about half an inch then back in 4 times. I moved her closer and she ate it with her mouth. Then since Wednesday, yesterday, and today she’s been sleeping ALLLL day. I’m really worried. She’s not active anymore. I haven’t been handling her since Tuesday, please help. Thanks, (pic from Jan)

- CView attachment 223506
Fill it out as soon as you can... Chams go downhill very fast and since she has had eyes closed for three days this is not a good sign.

Hi please fill out with complete detail answering all pieces so we can give you proper feedback. Do not feed any more mealworms as this can cause an impaction.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Cham info: My Cham is a couple months old, female, veiled. Lighting: I don’t know the brand of the light she has but it came with her enclousure specifically for chams. I have it on all day then turn it off at night which is when she usually goes to sleep. Temperature: The temp is always around 80 and the lowest part of her enclosure is around 76-8. Humidity: I’m good with spraying her cage so the humidity levels are always green. Plants: The plants are fake, first day home she tried eating it (she didn’t eat it but made a mark in it) then she never tried again. Placement: Her enclosure has glass walls except for the back which is her background, and it’s in my room, only I go in there so it’s not loud or crowded ever. It’s on top of my dresser and I’m careful to close the drawers slowly so it won’t shake her cage. I live in California, USA. We’ve still got about 2 1/2 weeks of winter left, nearly everyday it’s raining. On sunny days she did seem more active. Current problem is her sleeping all day for about 2 and a half days now. Facal Descrip: she’s never been tested for anything as far as I know. Handling: I would handle her a couple times a week, more and more she got more used to me and climbed all over me more and more. Watering: Her water bowl is at the bottom of her cage and there is a dripper at the top of her cage that drips from the plants down to the bowl. Occasionally she will dip herself inside the bowl, drink from it with her mouth or tongue, then climbs out. History: no history that I know of. Atm I have school so I will attach pics of her cage when I am home at 3pm.

Ok this is what I can get from the info provided..... Lighting is more then likely a double dome unit which will have a compact UVB bulb which is basically useless.
You have to get asap a T5 or T8 linear light fixture with a 5.O bulb.
Temp at basking? What is the actual temp at the highest branch and what is the temp in the bottom. How are you checking your temps. How far away from the light is she?
When spraying her cage are you spraying for at least 2 minutes 3 times a day? What is the humidity percentage?
Veileds like plants so they will eat them. A pothos live plant is really beneficial for them covering the top of the soil with at least 1 inch sized river rock so she cant eat the dirt.
BOWL is bad.... They do not drink from them. They drink from plants and the branches in their enclosure. They can also drown in bowls.
What are you doing for supplements?
What all are you feeding her?
How are you gutloading your feeders?

We need a lot more info and pics would be very very helpful. As I said if she is keeping her eyes closed then something is really wrong.
The weather outside will not affect her inside. It has to be something with the husbandry being provided.

I am going to give you resource links as well. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/

Ok this is what I can get from the info provided..... Lighting is more then likely a double dome unit which will have a compact UVB bulb which is basically useless.
Temp at basking? What is the actual temp at the highest branch and what is the temp in the bottom. How are you checking your temps. How far away from the light is she?
When spraying her cage are you spraying for at least 2 minutes 3 times a day? What is the humidity percentage?
Veileds like plants so they will eat them. A pothos live plant is really beneficial for them covering the top of the soil with at least 1 inch sized river rock so she cant eat the dirt.
BOWL is bad.... They do not drink from them. They drink from plants and the branches in their enclosure. They can also drown in bowls.

We need a lot more info and pics would be very very helpful. As I said if she is keeping her eyes closed then something is really wrong.
The weather outside will not affect her inside. It has to be something with the husbandry being provided.

I am going to give you resource links as well. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
I just got home, she is awake. Her eyes are half open, she seems to just be chilling.
03DC0D89-1B1E-483D-AC4F-2D7D10132754.jpeg
558E68F5-297D-4759-8562-AE96747F085D.jpeg

I am feeding her dried mealworms and dried crickets. I spray her cage lots so the humidity stays green. Here is the exact temp:
image.jpg

Ok lots of stuff that need to be corrected asap... Lighting is not going to work. Looks like you are only running a heat bulb so no UVB which they have to have so their body can synthesize D3 and facilitate calcium production. Without it she will get sick very quickly and die.
Need to get a T5 or T8 fixture with a 5.0 Uvb bulb.
The humidity is wayyyy to high for her it should be between 40-70%. Which is why glass is not typically used. Also there is not much airflow with it being all glass.
NO dead feeders. Only live crickets, dubia, black soldier fly larvae. NO mealworms at all.
Take all the substrate out of the bottom of the cage. They can eat this and become impacted and die.
I am going to say she is too hot as well. With it being a glass cage and very little air circulation. 85 at most should be at the very top basking level with a temp drop down to 70 at the bottom.

The pet store sold you all the wrong stuff and did not give you complete care instructions.
She does not look good at all hun. I would find a reptile vet asap and correct the husbandry issues above.

I am going to post some helpful reference pics and Read through this link again https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Okay, thank you for all of this. I can lower the humidity by not spraying as much. I can also purchase a different light for her and supplements for the insects. I have a ton of the gutloading foods, but of course no live insects for her. Do I need to buy a smaller separate cage for the crickets and worms? Can I put them together? I already know where to get the insects, where do you think is a good place to buy the light and supps? Thanks

Your welcome hun. If you have a reptile vet you should take her as soon as you can.

Just start out with small crickets for her and get one of these to put them in https://reptileslounge.com/products...MIhfz97_2-4AIVDonICh2xYApWEAQYBCABEgLK2vD_BwE

You can get the lights at any petstore pretty much. But I would seriously consider going with a screen enclosure since you are new to the hobby. Glass can be tricky with these guys.
Too much heat mixed with high humidity can give you a Cham with Respiratory infection which will kill them.
Her decline could very well be the lack of live food and no UVB lighting. But I can't guarantee it because there are quite a few issues going on here.

Pick up a pothos plant(any nursery) and some river rock(craft store). Rinse the plant leaves really well with warm water and then put the rock on top of the soil. This will help keep your humidity stable and let her have a place to hide and munch on leaves.

Read as much as you can on the forum and go through the links I gave you. And of course ask questions. I hope she gets better quickly. :)

Pick up a pothos plant(any nursery) and some river rock(craft store). Rinse the plant leaves really well with warm water and then put the rock on top of the soil. This will help keep your humidity stable and let her have a place to hide and munch on leaves.

Read as much as you can on the forum and go through the links I gave you. And of course ask questions. I hope she gets better quickly. :)
Just got off the phone with a vet. Apparently she is low in calcium and she could be about to start shedding which is causing the sleepiness. I’m off right now to get some supplements and possibly a start on live insects. Thanks for all your help:)

Just got off the phone with a vet. Apparently she is low in calcium and she could be about to start shedding which is causing the sleepiness. I’m off right now to get some supplements and possibly a start on live insects. Thanks for all your help:)
Get the lighting ASAP. They do not close their eyes because they are going to shed so start making changes and hopefully she will bounce back

Get the lighting ASAP. They do not close their eyes because they are going to shed so start making changes and hopefully she will bounce back
Lights are installed, as soon as I turned it on it was a lot more brighter than the other one, I also got the one for night time so it’ll stay warm but not bother her by being super bright. The crickets are going crazy in their bag. Ik they jump, but I don’t know if she’ll see them on the ground. Will they stay in their bowl? I can’t dust them with supplements if they’re running around the cage..

Lights are installed, as soon as I turned it on it was a lot more brighter than the other one, I also got the one for night time so it’ll stay warm but not bother her by being super bright. The crickets are going crazy in their bag. Ik they jump, but I don’t know if she’ll see them on the ground. Will they stay in their bowl? I can’t dust them with supplements if they’re running around the cage..
Ok wonderful but no light at night at all. Unless your house is below 50 degrees. Then you use a ceramic heat bulb. But I believe you said you were in southern Cal so you shouldnt have to use anything at night. They need a temp drop at night so she will be fine if your house is above 50.
What supplements did you get. Calcium with D3 is only given every 2 weeks. Calcium with out D3 you can give at nearly every feeding. Did you remove all the dirt from the bottom? Just put some paper towels in on the bottom and change them out each day. If you have a bowl like the size of a sour cream container you can put that in the bottom near her branch. She will crawl down and pick the crickets out. Feed her as much as she will eat while she is sick and small. Make sure you read the links I sent you as well because they will give you more info.

You dust the crickets in a small bag before you put them in the feeding bowl...put some crickets in a small bag...put some of the calcium powder into the bag with them, hold it closed and shake it a bit so the crickets get a slight dust on them...then put them in the feeding bowl. :)

Ok wonderful but no light at night at all. Unless your house is below 50 degrees. Then you use a ceramic heat bulb. But I believe you said you were in southern Cal so you shouldnt have to use anything at night. They need a temp drop at night so she will be fine if your house is above 50.
What supplements did you get. Calcium with D3 is only given every 2 weeks. Calcium with out D3 you can give at nearly every feeding. Did you remove all the dirt from the bottom? Just put some paper towels in on the bottom and change them out each day. If you have a bowl like the size of a sour cream container you can put that in the bottom near her branch. She will crawl down and pick the crickets out. Feed her as much as she will eat while she is sick and small. Make sure you read the links I sent you as well because they will give you more info.
I change out her dirt frequently. I’ll turn the light off, it kills the bills anyways. I got the D3 Calcium and 25 crickets, probably too many but I’ll put in about 5 or 6 in her bowl. I’m just afraid since she’s sleeping she won’t notcie they’re there:/

Back
Top Bottom