Baby veiled Chameleon

Lys368

Hello!
So I have a veiled chameleon she is about 10 weeks. She's having her first shed in my care and I am working on keeping her as comfortable as I can. Humidity about 60-70, eating her crickets twice a day, she will eat fruit flies if given to her.

However, as of tonight I seen her do something I've never seen her do. She had eaten about an hour or so prior, small crickets, and she opened her mouth wide. Almost as if she was gagging, at first I freaked out assuming she was choking. No choking though, she was actually fine after that. I am a little paranoid still, is this apart of shedding behavior? Should I involve the vet for this behavior?

Hello!
So I have a veiled chameleon she is about 10 weeks. She's having her first shed in my care and I am working on keeping her as comfortable as I can. Humidity about 60-70, eating her crickets twice a day, she will eat fruit flies if given to her.

However, as of tonight I seen her do something I've never seen her do. She had eaten about an hour or so prior, small crickets, and she opened her mouth wide. Almost as if she was gagging, at first I freaked out assuming she was choking. No choking though, she was actually fine after that. I am a little paranoid still, is this apart of shedding behavior? Should I involve the vet for this behavior?
Hi and welcome! :) Yes, they will sometimes open their mouths to help loosen the shed. As long as she’s not making popping noises while breathing, holding her head up with an open mouth or has stringy saliva (all signs of respiratory infection), she should be fine. Your humidity is a bit too high though. Ideally it should be between 30-50% during the day. Chameleons are dry shedders so increased humidity won’t help shedding and is a risk factor for respiratory infection. At night when the temps are cool, humidity can go much higher. You may want to check out https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/ Tons of great info on care there.:)

Hi and welcome! :) Yes, they will sometimes open their mouths to help loosen the shed. As long as she’s not making popping noises while breathing, holding her head up with an open mouth or has stringy saliva (all signs of respiratory infection), she should be fine. Your humidity is a bit too high though. Ideally it should be between 30-50% during the day. Chameleons are dry shedders so increased humidity won’t help shedding and is a risk factor for respiratory infection. At night when the temps are cool, humidity can go much higher. You may want to check out https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/ Tons of great info on care there.:)
Duly noted, no noises while breathing and she's pretty active at the moment just climbed a branch! She's shed her whole tail so far so I'll watch her over the next few days. I'll also be sure to lower her humidity during the day. Thank you for the help and the resource! :)

Back
Top Bottom