Baby veiled chameleon temps

squidbillie1980

Just wondering what temps should my baby veiled be kept at right now shes 2.5 snout to vent right now her basking spot is at about 85 an 75 ambiant is this ok or should i raise them im using a zoomed 100 watt blue day bulb so any suggestion would help

First of all, welcome to the forums!

Those temps sound like they will be alright. Monitor your cham; if he starts gaping he may be too warm under the basking light but at 85* he should be comfortable. It's harder to tell if they are not getting enough heat, however, so for a young cham like yours I've always tried to make sure my basking temp never went below 82.

I would also say make sure you have multiple instruments that you are using to take temperatures and humidity. I never trust one instrument, especially not a cheaply made one.

Also, you mentioned you had one of those day light bulbs over your enclosure. Are you using a uvb/uva light source as well? The well being of your cham depends on you providing a source of ultra violet light (unless your cham recieves natural unfiltered sunlight several times a month) such as a Reptisun 5.0. This is just a standard good choice and there are other appropriate UV lights that would work as well. You may, for all I know, already have a source of UV for your cham I just wanted to stress the importance of it.

Currently, I'm just using a couple standard incandescent 60 watt bulbs installed into domes and a flourescent Reptisun 5.0 running the width of the cage. There is no definitive lighting set up and there are tons of options out there that will potentially work fine... You just have to find what works best for you!

check your temps against this...

Temperatures for Veiled Chameleons

Neonates – Juvenile (hatchling–3 months old) – 74-76 degrees Fahrenheit *heat lamp not usually required

Juvenile – Sub-Adult Female(3-5 months old) – 76-78 degrees Fahrenheit *heat lamp not usually required

Sub-Adult – Adult Male(5-12 months old) – 82-85 degrees Fahrenheit

Sub-Adult – Adult Female(5-12 months old) – 72-82 degrees Fahrenheit

Adult Male(12+) – 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit

Adult Female(12+) – 80-82 degrees Fahrenht

Thanks yall i have a another female but shes an adult an ive had her for 6 months an she was 3.5 inches when i got her now shes 6.5 snout to vet an shes doin great so i wanted to make sure baby was good cuz i know babies need cooler temps an have yall every seen a baby hang sideways on a branch wit one eye open an one closed under baskin spot i fig she keeps her eyes closed cause of the light from the bulb

Back
Top Bottom