Baby veiled chameleon screen walking with eyes closed

Kcenteno

Hello everyone, I have a possibly 2-3 month old veiled female chameleon. For the past week she has been going through patterns of closing both her eyes if not one. Took her to the vet and of course she was very alert. 3 days now she has been walking on the screen top. I adjusted the basking light where it ranges from 83 - 85 degrees Fahrenheit. I maybe thought her uvb t8 5.0 linear bulb was too strong so I tried raising it too. Gave me a little scared when she turned dark and then a tan color. She still eating if I hand feed her dubia roaches or hornworms (with Calcium powder)Yesterday I caught her licking water that was dripping from a branch. At night all lights go off and I place a humidifier. This morning I mist the enclosure lowered the uvb light so it’s sit again on top of the tank and she right underneath it. Not sure what is going on. I need help. Thank you guys

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 093FD865-9543-4325-94F5-E330654C31D0.jpeg
    093FD865-9543-4325-94F5-E330654C31D0.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 8543BCFC-A806-4AD4-AAA0-52CCC5C0B822.jpeg
    8543BCFC-A806-4AD4-AAA0-52CCC5C0B822.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 87
What supplements are you using and how often for each? Do they have vitamin D3, prEformed or prOformed vitamin A in?

I’m using zoomed brand repticalcium with out D3 mon/ sat and sundays I use repticlacium with D3. I dnt see vitamin a in the ingredients

Hello everyone, I have a possibly 2-3 month old veiled female chameleon. For the past week she has been going through patterns of closing both her eyes if not one. Took her to the vet and of course she was very alert. 3 days now she has been walking on the screen top. I adjusted the basking light where it ranges from 83 - 85 degrees Fahrenheit. I maybe thought her uvb t8 5.0 linear bulb was too strong so I tried raising it too. Gave me a little scared when she turned dark and then a tan color. She still eating if I hand feed her dubia roaches or hornworms (with Calcium powder)Yesterday I caught her licking water that was dripping from a branch. At night all lights go off and I place a humidifier. This morning I mist the enclosure lowered the uvb light so it’s sit again on top of the tank and she right underneath it. Not sure what is going on. I need help. Thank you guys
So the T8 with the 5.0 would be part of the issue if not the entire issue. It actually does not produce enough uvb. So she is trying to get closer to it. With this bulb and fixture literally she needs to be 2-3 inches away from it for the right UVI. So you either want to replace the bulb with a 10.0 and then have her branch 5 inches below it or get a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 bulb and this would be raised 4 inches off the top and then the branch would be 4-5 inches below the screen. For a total distance of 8-9 inches from the bottom of the fixture to the branch. THis way if she screen climbs which babies do anyways she is still in a UVI that is not too high on the screen.

I would be curious what supplements your using as well and the rotation of them.

Basking temps are a bit hot... you want a max of 80. And of course with screen climbing you need the fixture lifted up off the cage at least 4 inches or more depending on the type of bulb and bulb strength your using. Otherwise thermal burns are a risk.

Also just to add...If you replace the T8 bulb with a 10.0 you need to raise it 2 inches off the top if she is screen climbing and the branch would go 4 inches below the screen. This keeps baby out of the higher UVI levels off the screen.

Buy Reptivite without D3. You will cycle this into your supplement rotation 2 times a month. So it rotates week to week with the calcium with D3. Then all other feedings you would give the calcium without D3. This makes it so baby gets a multivitamin 2 times a month and calcium with D3 2 times a month.

So the T8 with the 5.0 would be part of the issue if not the entire issue. It actually does not produce enough uvb. So she is trying to get closer to it. With this bulb and fixture literally she needs to be 2-3 inches away from it for the right UVI. So you either want to replace the bulb with a 10.0 and then have her branch 5 inches below it or get a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 bulb and this would be raised 4 inches off the top and then the branch would be 4-5 inches below the screen. For a total distance of 8-9 inches from the bottom of the fixture to the branch. THis way if she screen climbs which babies do anyways she is still in a UVI that is not too high on the screen.

I would be curious what supplements your using as well and the rotation of them.

Basking temps are a bit hot... you want a max of 80. And of course with screen climbing you need the fixture lifted up off the cage at least 4 inches or more depending on the type of bulb and bulb strength your using. Otherwise thermal burns are a risk.
I’m using a 75 watt. Natural light bulb. Wkk With her supplements I do calcium without D3 6 days out of the week and on Sunday’s I use calcium with D3.

I’m using a 75 watt. Natural light bulb. Wkk With her supplements I do calcium without D3 6 days out of the week and on Sunday’s I use calcium with D3.
ok so hopefully you saw the second post I did above. Alerts are weird on the forum. So you need to scroll up on your post.

I think this is all a UVB issue. Lack of UVB. This is why she is preferring the screen. There she is getting higher levels then down on the branches where it is very low. So follow the feedback in my two posts above for correcting the UVB issue and adding in the additional supplement you need. :)

Also just to add...If you replace the T8 bulb with a 10.0 you need to raise it 2 inches off the top if she is screen climbing and the branch would go 4 inches below the screen. This keeps baby out of the higher UVI levels off the screen.

Buy Reptivite without D3. You will cycle this into your supplement rotation 2 times a month. So it rotates week to week with the calcium with D3. Then all other feedings you would give the calcium without D3. This makes it so baby gets a multivitamin 2 times a month and calcium with D3 2 times a month.
The vet was the one that recommended a 5.0 uvb. Be she so small. So I need to change it. Okay

The vet was the one that recommended a 5.0 uvb. Be she so small. So I need to change it. Okay
most vets do not understand the ins and outs of husbandry. Or they did not realize that there is a major difference between the T8 fixtures and the T5HO fixtures. If it was a T5 you would use the 5.0 because they have a stronger output.

And you for sure have a T8 fixture right?

Back
Top Bottom