Baby veiled Chameleon questions

Fuzzywings50529

Hello everyone I have some questions I have done a lot of research already but there not answering the questions as much as I would like. Now that I have a baby veiled Chameleon I have questions so I brought him home and he seems good with people like he's been handled well and everything but I haven't seen him go to the bathroom or eat anything and I have got him baby crickets and I have tried to give him fruit but he doesn't seem interested. Also when I brought him home his colors were a normal light green but since I have put him in his new habit he has darkend a lot and we thought it was because he was cold so we brought the lamp closer to the bottom and it's working and he's warm but he's still a dark color and I just want to know if this is normal after bringing them home and he's only hissed at me once but I just need help I'm new to this and I don't want him to be stressed and get sick or anything.

Need pix of entire enclosure make sure to include lights and supplements you are using. @Beman and @MissSkittles can offer alot of help you can also watch Neptune the chameleon on YouTube his mom is on here too. We welcome you to the family

Last edited:
Need pix of entire enclosure make sure to include lights and supplements you are using. @Beman and @MissSkittles can offer alot of help you can also watch Neptune the chameleon on YouTube his mom is on here too. We welcome you to the family
Yes thank you I got a big enclosure yesterday for him and thank you for replying to help me this means alot I just want to make sure nothing bad happens to him and and that those things are normal or not.

I would say avoid handling him for now and give him some times to adjust to his new home. But yes a pic would be very helpful so these guys can do a quick husbandry review, just to make sure your husbandry is on FLEEK! and as for food, with new chameleon I usually leave some dubias or crickets in a tall enough food dish to where they cant escape out in the enclosure then check the next day. Just giving your chameleons some privacy to adjust to their new home.

I would say avoid handling him for now and give him some times to adjust to his new home. But yes a pic would be very helpful so these guys can do a quick husbandry review, just to make sure your husbandry is on FLEEK! and as for food, with new chameleon I usually leave some dubias or crickets in a tall enough food dish to where they cant escape out in the enclosure then check the next day. Just giving your chameleons some privacy to adjust to their new home.
Thank you this is very helpful.

Snapchat-1953631912.jpg

Hi and welcome! :) There’s a huge amount of wrong or outdated info on keeping chameleons out there, so it’s hard to know what is right. Add that to the majority of chain pet store employees not knowing and it gets even harder. If you can post more pics of your entire enclosure, including lights and complete the help questions (copy & paste), we can get you started on the correct path and answer your questions.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom