Baby Veiled Chameleon.... kinda agressive

Pascal JeanClaude

F9F93750-5601-48D7-859B-CE087623ACAE.jpeg
Hi everyone! This is pascal. I adopted him today and be is 3 1/2 months old. When I picked him up I immediately let him out of the container he was transported in and he had no issue crawling on me at all. Once I got home and set his cage up he became very aggressive. Anytime that I reached into the cage just to set something up he would turn very dark, hiss, and lunge at my hand. Any tips on how to get him to adjust to me easier?

It’s going to take about 1-2 weeks for him to adjust to his new environment. Leave him alone as much as possible for that time (trust me, I know it’s hard). It’s better for him though. He is probably very stressed from transport and a completely new exposure to human life. Let him settle in and update us if it gets worse or better! After the 1-2 weeks, you can start hand feeding him his insects, that will help him associate you with food, and consistently doing that will ease up his aggression towards you. If he is successful with hand feeding, try to lure him to you with an insect by getting his attention with one and letting him reach for it. When he reaches, you can slowly put your fingers under his reaching hands so he holds onto you. Do that for a few days and then gradually get him to go on your hand. Then, you can start taking him out and handling him. Transport him to a tree or something fun so he knows you won’t hurt him. Do the same thing to get him off the tree and back in his enclosure. Hope that helped!

Back
Top Bottom