Baby veiled chameleon doesn't seem to be growing

Veronica_hc

Hi first time posting and I still trying to navigate and couldn't find the post for where you post all of the general info.i'm just curious how fast a female baby chameleon should be growing? I've had her since October 9th so not very long but I have major anxiety and am worried she's not growing how she should be. The shop I bought her from said she was three months. This is my first chameleon so any advice is appreciated.

Please post a recent photo or two of her. Growing slowly isn't always a bad thing BTW.

Last edited:
Here's a pic from a few days ago. Not the best but she hides alot from me :(

Attachments

• IMG_20171023_125547.jpg
    IMG_20171023_125547.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 386
She looks good...and cute! How much does she eat a day? What size food do you give her?
If you answer the questions in this thread we can make sure your husbandry is good...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, female, 3 months? Since october 9th.
  • Handling - I have handled her four times which I realized I shouldn't have because it was forced other than day one.
  • Feeding - small crickets, tried hornworms and she wont eat them.
  • I put in 10 but most seem to die i would say shes eating maybe four. I feed her twice a day.
  • Gut loading with a mixture of fruits a veggies (carrots, cucumber, sweet potato, blueberries, strawberries.
  • Supplements -
  • Repti calcium with d3 amd w/o d3 and herpitive
  • D3 once this month without every feeding herpitive once this month
  • Watering -
  • Misting
  • three times a day
  • Approximately 1 minute
  • I've seen her drink before but not today or yesterday
  • Fecal Description -
  • Colors are brown and white
  • Consistency is a little moist
  • Never been tested for parasites in my care
  • History -
  • Bought her from a local pet store that seemed to be knowledgeable about chameleons, said she was 3 months. Didn't give much info other than that though.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type -
  • Glass exo Terra screen top
  • 12x12x18
  • Lighting -
  • Using a regular 60watt for basking and a zoo med 10.00
  • Schedule is 12 hrs kn 12 hrs off. Approx 930am to 930pm
  • Temperature -
  • Basking is approx 80°f ambient approx 73°f
  • Night temp is approx 60°F
  • I measure with a acu-rite thermometer/hygrometer
  • Humidity -
  • About 71% sometimes drops down to 40%
  • The acu-rite temp/hygrometer
  • By misting throughout the day
  • Plants - plants are one pothos, one dracaena, fake vines/branches
  • Placement -
  • Cage is located in my room. Not near any fans or vents. Basement room btw.
  • Top of cage is about 6' off the ground.
  • Location -
  • Salt Lake City, Utah

Current Problem - concerned about growth rate.

She should be eating more like 15 appropriately sized crickets each day or equivalent in other insects.
Is the zoomed a UVB?.
How do you keep the crickets? In what, with what in the container they are in, etc. Do you put any food in her cage for the insects...tiny bits of greens or veggies work best.
You can add greens to the gutload....dandelions, kale, endive, escarole, etc.

I've been free ranging them I tried to cup feed out of an small opaque Tupperware container for two days and she didn't eat anything they had some food with them in there as well. Didn't touch the crickets or the hornworms not sure if she just doesn't think the hornworms are food or what the deal is.

I've been free ranging them I tried to cup feed out of an small opaque Tupperware container for two days and she didn't eat anything they had some food with them in there as well. Didn't touch the crickets or the hornworms not sure if she just doesn't think the hornworms are food or what the deal is.
I will also start adding more greens for sure.

She should be eating more like 15 appropriately sized crickets each day or equivalent in other insects.
Is the zoomed a UVB?.
How do you keep the crickets? In what, with what in the container they are in, etc. Do you put any food in her cage for the insects...tiny bits of greens or veggies work best.
You can add greens to the gutload....dandelions, kale, endive, escarole, etc.
I have added more crickets today will check for hiding ones and dead ones hopefully she'll catch more. Also added dandelion greens.

I’ve bought 2 chameleons from pet shops and I think they are always wrong. They always say their chameleons are like 3 months old when they are tiny. Mine were both smaller than yours when I got them. She looks healthy don’t be worried

I’ve bought 2 chameleons from pet shops and I think they are always wrong. They always say their chameleons are like 3 months old when they are tiny. Mine were both smaller than yours when I got them. She looks healthy don’t be worried
Yeah thanks for the reassurance just a worry wart I suppose.

Really? Oh geez she's even more of a baby than I thought. Lol. Well hopefully she stays healthy and active thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
No worries. She really should be eating more, try placing the hornworm a few inches in front of her, on a branch so it will get her attention.

I wouldn't be worried about growth rate my chameleon diggy was only a month or two old when we got him he weighed less than 20 grams he's now 24 grams and is a how knuckle bigger on my finger he eats between 15 and 20 crickets a day and now put him on the size up and it's dropped to 10-15 he's shed twice with us and it's being bang on 3 weeks every time this is week 7 of owning him so I hope this reassures you that they will just start growing like a weed

If your chamis nervous mine was the same get some calci worms or some wax worms on your hand and just hold it there I did that for 2 weeks he now runs onto mine and my gfs hand when he feels like it

Hope this helps

Attachments

• 20170921_203139.jpg
    20170921_203139.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 384
FYI my Cham is about 8 months old now and he still won’t touch hornworms. He’s eats crickets regularly with no problem, superworms he loves I give him 2 a week. But he has no interest in hornworms. Wouldn’t touch wax worms when he was little either

This was Weebo the day I bought him, and they also said 3 months lol

Attachments

• D91F9CC5-9394-4F0A-8DFF-96A24A54616F.png
    D91F9CC5-9394-4F0A-8DFF-96A24A54616F.png
    2 MB · Views: 167
FYI my Cham is about 8 months old now and he still won’t touch hornworms. He’s eats crickets regularly with no problem, superworms he loves I give him 2 a week. But he has no interest in hornworms. Wouldn’t touch wax worms when he was little either
Thanks it seemed like everyone was raging about how they're chams loved them and I'm just like what am I doing wrong. And that pic is adorable such acute baby.

Back
Top Bottom