baby panthers fighting

reefercheefer

Established Member
Some of my 3 month olds panthers have black markings on their heads from either climbing on each other or biting each other. I myself haven't witnessed anything more than them just climbing on each other. You can make out that some are clearly bite marks. Not serve or life threatening but not aesthetically pleasing. My question is, do these marks go away with age as they heal or are they permanent?

You need to get them separated right away or you will start seeing tail nips and even legs bites that cause permate damage. I had to separate my veiled babies by 2 months old.

I have them separated into 3 groups according to size. I really don't have the space to give each single one their own cage. I didn't throw in a lot more branches and vines so that they could avoid each other easier

Try separating based on temperament.

I had a few babies I singled out that were causing issues with food, and separated based more on temperament than size.

Ill try to figure out which ones are the bullies. I glad to hear they are just bruises and will go away. Thanks for all the help!

You will have to get a few more baby cages to separate them into smaller groups. I don't know how many you have together in the three groups now, but I would thin them out more. You always have to prepare for the eventuality that you won't sell all the babies before you have to start separating them individually, and should have more cages than what you hope you'll need.

Last edited:
I have them separated into 3 groups according to size. I really don't have the space to give each single one their own cage. I didn't throw in a lot more branches and vines so that they could avoid each other easier

Deciding not to separate them because you didn't plan for the space are decisions that will ultimately effect the condition and quality of the babies you produce. This is a good example of exactly why most of us would rather go to the big breeders and pay more than go to someone who cuts corners and doesn't act in the best interest of their animals but sells for less (i.e., https://www.chameleonforums.com/no-point-buying-breeders-88781/).

Chris

i have 24 left and they are separated into pretty much equal groups. And i only noticed it on 1 of the chams the other day. Little do you guys know i have prepared well. I have brand new set ups ready to go. Not because of fear of not being able to sell them but more as to I plan on keeping quite a few of them to be breeders rather than buying INBRED ones for $300+ from some commercial breeders which we will not name. I would always way rather choose local breeders or breeders here on the forums that don't intentionally inbreed. Once again thank all you guys for your help.

Chris im not going to set up (24) 3 foot cage and lighting for 24 single three month olds :confused: like i said they are not life threatening or severe

Last edited:
Little do you guys know i have prepared well. I have brand new set ups ready to go. Not because of fear of not being able to sell them but more as to I plan on keeping quite a few of them to be breeders rather than buying INBRED ones for $300+ from some commercial breeders which we will not name.

Then.... why aren't you able to separate more of them?

If they are fighting you might lose some of them to stress if you don't separate them.
Are the buyers males?? Also if you leave males and females together for much longer. You may find they will breed.

Back
Top Bottom